Kumho KL71 opinions

BobtailBogey

Im looking into a set of 35's soon for my bobtail and these seem to be pretty cheap and seem to have good write ups but just wondered what people thought of them on here?

will be used for all sorts green-laning , events, challenges and on road but road manners dont matter much..

also looking at creepy crawlers or some used simex / fedima's

i had a set of 33,s on my shogun and they were very good (used mostly on road with some light laning)

have heard that they work better backwards and that the sidewalls can be a bit soft too

was a thread about these not so long ago so a quick search will pick it up

would also consider the hankook rt03 mt,s too

rob

The hankook's dont seem very agressive and the tread blocks seem quite close together though.

Here is a Hankook RT03 sitting on top of a KL71 sitting on top of a BFG MT KM all in 33x12.50R15 size. The tread blocks look close together looking at it by itself, but actually if anything they are chunkier than the Kumho when you look at them side by side.

Talking to people here (because I need some new rubber to replace my ageing BFGs, and the BFG isn't currently available in that size either as the old KM or new KM2 pattern) the verdict on KL71s seem to be that they are quite good when new but absolutely hopeless once they have worn down to about half (though you could probably say the same for a lot of MTs...) and they wear quite quickly. A lot of people here run them but cost is possibly the main consideration. I think I'll be going for the Hankooks but I haven't got my chequebook out yet :)

post-33-125890426594_thumb.jpg

do they come in 35"? i didnt think they did.

KL71s are in theory available in 35x12.50R15 but when I tried to get a set for a customer a couple of months back, they were not available and no date for availability. So might be a problem.

The tread width measured across from the widest lug on one side to widest lug on the other is about 1/4 inch wider on the Hankooks than the Kumhos, I measured that as part of my head-scratching process :)

Tread depth is similar - KL71 and Hankook are both about 14.5mm, however the old BFG MT has about 17mm. However the tread depths vary between sizes - 35in could be different.

The side lugs dont seem too big say compared to creepy crawlers, but then i could keeep my eye out for a used set of simex.

But would i be putting too much strain on the rest of the drivetrain running that size tyre with a lot of grip?

Im running 34" jungle trekker 2s and they have got alot of grip but im using a standard drivetrain and its been ok so far......touch wood!

Simex tyres are expensive but do take abuse well, someone mentioned maxxis creepy crawlers above ive spoken too a few people who have them and like them alot, They might not have the same grip as simex but they would proberly last longer than KL71s and not too many more ££££s.

Dave.

Just to add a positive note on the KL71's. I've had these tyres for 12 months and have been quite pleased with them, I have done about 40k miles on them.

They have been mainly used on the road but quite a bit of greenlaning as well. So far they are showing very little wear and have reasonable road manners.

I used a set of Mudzilla's in the size 35 x 13.5 x 15 to do Ladoga, and I have to say, I was very impressed. Obviously they arent as good as a bogger or simex in the foresttracks, but they are not far off. And in swamps, I was stunned as to what it was capable to do. Despite the relatively closed thread, because of the big V shape, they self clean amazingly well without cutting up the ground too much.

Another thing going for these, it is also the tyre (or at least the mickey thompson what it is a copy of) of choice to do the outback challenge (mainly desert).

So, it is a very good all round tyre that works well in almost every situation.

I would recommend them, or the mickey thomson, if you can spend a bit more.

Daan

• 1 year later...

I have some 35" KL71s, seemed like a good compromise for all-round use; always going to be down-sides to any compromise (eg "all-season" tyres for winter road use rather than winter's) but I am happy with them

I looked and tried after reading this:

KUMHO JOINT WINNER OF 4x4 MAGAZINE’S ULTIMATE MT TYRE TEST

11 June 2008

The Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 was the joint winner of 4x4 Magazine’s ‘ultimate tyre test’ to establish the best mud-terrain tyre on the UK market. It shared top honours with a BFGoodrich, beating offerings from Goodyear, Wildcat, Maxxis, Cooper, INSA and Pirelli by a significant margin. All eight makes of 235/85 R16 tyres were subjected to six challenging, real-world tests, ie – mud climb, bog run, side slope, rock crawl, gravel and tarmac braking. One vehicle was involved – a 2007 Land Rover Defender 110.

The magazine found the Kumho KL71 radically different in appearance from all its competitors and, in fact, to be the best looking as well as the joint best performer. The Kumho was awarded top marks on the rock crawl and gravel braking tests and performed with credit on the mud climb and bog run. In summary, the magazine said, “The Kumho MT KL71 is a great tyre and a deserving all-round winner. Give it a try.”

Said Kumho’s Managing Director Steve Tidmarsh, “We are naturally delighted with the result. 4x4 Magazine’s test is very much in line with our own research and reinforces the confidence we have had in the KL71 from the outset. I can also reveal that the new 18in rally raid tyre we have developed for the Bowler Nemesis is based on the KL71 and that is surely the ultimate test for an MT tyre.”

what about Cooper STT, ive herd people say good things about them.

i had crawlers on my old 90, they are a good tyre but can get interesting on road in the wet, also can be hard to balance. mine needed a ton of lead on the back but were good as gold once sorted...