Overland trailer

how much if any is sticking out? Or are you thinking of making the new stud?

About 2mm in the stud so nothing sticking out..... the way the wheel carriers are built I would need to crack the welds, get a new stud weld it in and then reweld the plate, I think it will be eaiser to find a new one as they go for around £10ish, guess I will be on the look out for one at Gaydon.. together with an alloy wheel nut....sad.gif

No photos as camera needs charging.... all the main doors done and locker side doors figured out, I started to seal the trailer both the panels and fit the door seals, it is really comming on, it is going to take some time to go around all the panels, one tube down 5 to go!!!! So I am on the mundane jobs now before the big progress things happen again.

I needed to get some more etch primer so picked up some on the way past today, so I am ready to start painting sometime next week, I have a couple of days off so I hope for some good weather.

Once the outside is done and the box is made watertight I will start on the inside again as I don't want to keep having to pull it out to stop it getting wet.

I got a new spare wheel carrier from Dunsfold (thanks again Mo).

Having the weekend off and going camping at Gaydon so looking forward to the break.

Jason.

So just sold the tub from the sankey and the old wheels and tyres on ebay..

£51.00 for the tub

£38.00 for the Wheels and tyres.

So I paid £180 for the trailer so in all I have paid £91 for the trailer chassis, problay a small fortune striping it back repainting it and replacing the brakes but still fairly happy that money is flowing back in, it just about covers the etch primer that I brought today!!!

still deciding if to sell the lights, to get a bit more back.

Jason.

So just sold the tub from the sankey and the old wheels and tyres on ebay..

£51.00 for the tub

£38.00 for the Wheels and tyres.

So I paid £180 for the trailer so in all I have paid £91 for the trailer chassis, problay a small fortune striping it back repainting it and replacing the brakes but still fairly happy that money is flowing back in, it just about covers the etch primer that I brought today!!!

still deciding if to sell the lights, to get a bit more back.

Jason.

if your not using the lights sell them i got 50 quid on ebay for alll the lights off my sankey!

if your not using the lights sell them i got 50 quid on ebay for alll the lights off my sankey!

If I could get that for them I would be happy as this would more than cover the cost of the LED's and marker lights.

Jason..

So after a weekend off at Gaydon, I got cracking on the trailer this evening. My fingers are black from the Tiger seal even with gloves!!! Chasing every seam has been tedious but now I have a waterproof burger van!!!

I have taken a couple of days off on Thursday and Friday so it depends on the weather either it will be painting days so etch first, high build primer and then two coats of Java black.. or building the inside I am really not sure which one yet it will be a few more days yet and then I need to move onto locks etc oh and finishing the trailer!!! still got to do the lights and put the brakes on, and give it a final coat of paint same as the trailer.

Jason.

post-15513-127300423042_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127300424334_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127300425484_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127300426931_thumb.jpg

post-15513-12730042833_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127300429842_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127300430961_thumb.jpg

That is looking rather good Jason!!

I'll let you off not coming tonight tongue.gif

Cheers Ross, I was going to come honestly time just got away from me... 6 tubes of PU sealant later...

I am happy with the way it is looking but I am a long way from the finish line, slow and steady though and I will get there, a bit like you and your search for your Landy!!rolleyes.gif

So last night Mrs S and I lifted the new body off the trailer chassis, really pleased as it is about the same weight as the original tub if not a bit lighter.

Started building the inside today, it always takes you longer than you think however really pleased with the way it went. I built the box outside the trailer and then slid it in, this makes it easier to make sure it is fixed correctly (glued & Screwed) fitted the slide out for the water heater and the fridge but I have got to build a box for it yet.

The cooker supports its self so no need for a leg in fact my little boy Jacob can sit on it when out so not a problem... I will continue with it tomorrow and will hopefully get it ready for painting.. so may have the inside finished by the end of the weekend weather depending, I was going to start spraying today but as I haven't finished all the locker sides it will have to wait, slow and steady.....

Anyway some more photos, I am still re-jigging the inside to best fit my kit.

Jason.

post-15513-127318068008_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127318069197_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127318070245_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127318071757_thumb.jpg

It's looking good. Evertime I think about selling my trailer I see yours and want to do something similar laugh.gif

Cheers Martin,

Don't get rid of it they are great trailers, if you were thinking of that brake it, I think they are worth more as parts!!!rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to seeing your plans!!

Jason.

OK Jason - you have more chequer plate than me !!

LOL

Good to meet with you at Gaydon last weekend.

Considerbaly more chequer plate than you!!!!! great to meet you also, great trailer.

Jason.

So I have just spent the last 4 days building painting filling sanding painting lifting drilling cutting and even swearing!!!

So I took a couple of days off work and started to build the trailer, I was going to go off road today with the Swindon group but needed to get finished to a point as will be busy at work for the next two weeks.

As mentioned I was hoping to get some paint on the body but the weather put pays to that, so I almost finished the inside, I ran out of wood so didn’t add the shelf above the fridge, but I can add that later.

So on Friday I built most of the inside, and herein lay the problem as I added bits it pulled the box slightly out of true, when I went to put the box away on Friday night it was very difficult to get in the box, then in came the first swearing and even hitting the inside with a BFH to get it home and when I say BFH I mean the biggest sledge hammer I have!!!

So awoke on Saturday morning with an issue I needed to extract the box from the trailer body which I had the previous night knocked home with a BFH!!!!! I found a bolt in the workshop which has a wood bit on one side and bolt thread on the other, screwed it into the box and then used the Trifor to winch it out with the series one acting as an anchor for the body and the 110 the anchor for the Trifor, it actually came out like a cork!!!

Continued to finish the inside and make the cooker fit again as It wasn’t fitted when I put the rest together so I had pulled a tight fitting box out of square only a few mm but enough to make a tight fitting box no longer fit, much sanding later it now fits again!!!

I then started to take weight out of the body by drilling holes where it didn't matter i.e. not strctual or I wanted seperation I stole this Idea from a great camper build by a German chap, I took out a lot of weight!!! so fuel saving there!!!

The whole family helped PVA the box prior to paint which was a fun Saturday afternoon!!! I started to paint the box on Saturday evening, now the paint is something special..... for this job I got a rubber based paint the idea is it is very tough and waterproof so will be washable and the paint will not rub off. The paint is used for horse boxes etc and actually also acts as a vibration suppressor and has great sound deadening qualities to prevent annoying rattles.

I spent today finishing painting and then moved back onto the trailer finishing sealing it with Tiger seal and then making and fixing the doors for the side lockers.

Finished now so electrics water and gas to add control panel above the microwave to add and the cooker housing to paint add a splash back and seal the cooker, paint the body finish the trailer chassis and the brakes oh and fit the locks to the doors!!!! So nearly there!!

post-15513-127343468971_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343470739_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343473111_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343475753_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343477744_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343479711_thumb.jpg

post-15513-12734348169_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343483187_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343485277_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343487526_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343490087_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343492664_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343494301_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127343497384_thumb.jpg

That looks great Jason!!

Interested in the rubbery paint, where did you get it from?

Cheers, Ross. It's starting to get there, the paint is really good, I got it from these guys:

http://www.anti-slip-paint.co.uk/protectakote-bedvan-liner-black-p-4.html

In a bizzar twist of fate they are on the same industrial estate as the guys who made the frame for my trailer so I got to see it first and ask loads of questions, he was a really helpfull guy. but their main business is web.

Jason.

So pressing forward..... I dry fitted the door locks tonight I was worried that they looked to industrial but they look ok. I know that I need the correct size bar the 22mm copper tube is just for getting the size the actual tube will be a lot bigger oh and steel!!! Not going to fit the handle bracket until it’s welded to the tube to make sure I get a tight fit......

Oh I set fire to myself tonight!!! I had to take a 1/8”off the brackets so they would fit to the square of the door, the sparks from the grinder were falling onto my jacket and I guess all the painting had left it a little flammable...!!! I thought I was getting warm; Mrs was not impressed as I also burnt a good top that was under the jacket!!

Still finishing all the little bits before I mix the paint!!! I Started to fit the locks to the side lockers today they look really neat (well I think so!!) This will be the last update for a while as vocano permitting I will be out of the UK for the next couple of weeks working...... but hopefully when I get back the bits to start the electrics etc will be here.

I noticed last night that a couple of welds on the roof rack have cracked when I flatted them back, it was the last bit they welded and I guess that they didn't get the penertration that was needed as we were still coming up with the design (try and see moment) not a problem all the other welds are spot on so two out of nearly 120 welds isn't bad at all, I have had a couple of other people look it over and they are really impressed, I would take a photo of a dressed weld but there is no point you can't see anything (Thats the point, seemless!!) anyway it's not an issue they will sort it out and I am going to get them to weld up the locking bars and also the fixing brackets for the box to the chassis.

Cheers, Jason.

post-15513-127360336851_thumb.jpg

So I was going away..... then things changed again, now going away on Sunday for the week..... well thats the plan today, I now get to deliver a presentation to a load of City consultants tonight, which is not going to go down well if I can't get the paint of my face and hands......

Which brings me onto what I did last night, after two days of prep I decided that I would get the etch primer on... well it went on well and fairly quickly, flatted it back there was still light so took the plung and put the first coat of top coat on. it has really brought it together. I need to flat it all back now ready for the second coat but that will have to wait.

I feel like it is all starting to come together but I know there is still a lot to do before it is finished.

Cheers, Jason.

post-15513-127374385885_thumb.jpg

Looks excellent. But, how do you 'flat back' chequerplate? That sounds like a nightmare!

Cheers, Adam.

I am only going to flat back the box section and just wipe over the chequer plate and flat back any drips (there are a couple!!!)

Jason.