Overland trailer

Looks marvellous Jason - the paint really brings it together.

Are you impressed with the Protectakote? I'm planning to get some for the 110, and seeing as they're only in Grove....

Glad you like Will's work - he's always impressed me with little bits I've taken him.

Couldn't you give it a go over with a big bundle of fine wire wool. smile.gif

Likley to do something like that, to be honest I didn't expect to get that far!!! so really hadn't thought about how to prep for the second coat.

Jason.

Looks marvellous Jason - the paint really brings it together.

Are you impressed with the Protectakote? I'm planning to get some for the 110, and seeing as they're only in Grove....

Glad you like Will's work - he's always impressed me with little bits I've taken him.

Cheers Simon,

The paint has acted in a strange way bringing it together but, it has made it look a lot smaller!!! although I don't think the paint has made it shrink!!

I am really impressed with the Protectakote, I wasn't sure at first, but now it has gone off it is very tough I tried to mark the wood as a idea of where I will fit the switch panel and couldn't scratch it!!!!

Will (well actualy Russ & Will) have done a great job, I couldn't have asked for better thanks again for the recomendation. I have to take it back for some more bits to get finished and the roof rack re-welded but I am very happy.

Jason.

Some good ish newsbiggrin.gif , and some really bad news!!!!!sad.gif

First the good news, I am sitting at home thanks to British Airways, and the "will we won't we strike" followed by vocanic ash meant that I was no longer "authorised to travel" my bosses were worried that I would get stuck and not be able to do cover their meetings for them later this week!!!!

Now for the bad news:

It piddled it down on Sunday and two problems happened, the paint was not hard enough!! so is now marked, I know It should have been covered but no rain was forcast and I though a few hours in the sun would help make it go off.

What do I do Now? will I be able to rub it back or do I need to take the whole of the top coat off? it also got covered in leaves and detritus from the garden!!!sad.gif

We had an old semi broken Gazebo 3X3, after some fixing with ground spikes and bodge tape/tie wraps it will live to fight another day, so I have put this over the body tonight it has sides so will also act as a painting booth.

The second thing is I found out that there were still some leaks in the outside boxes!!!!!!! so they need fixing before I progress.

So I don't know what to do now:

1. Try and fix it now, whilst it's still soft paint, not sure how.

2. leave it until the paint has gone hard and then try and flat it back and repair the damage pick the garden rubbish off it!!

so back to square one........

Cheers Adam,

I was thinking that myself, I have a soft wheel for the drill for final sanding that should do the job its just when? after it's gone off completley or whilst it's still soft?

Jason.

Ah bummer sad.gif. Hope you get it sorted!

You might have to resort to showing off the chequer fetish tongue.gif

You have the fetish Ross, I have just a requirement.... I may have a beer and wire brush party, what are you up to over the next few weekends?

Jason.

well this weekend is hopefully road testing the 90, and then Shire playday on the sunday! weekend after I'm working on the saturday. Sunday is free I think... unsure.gif

Oh well, I will have to drink the beer myself..... clearly I didn't get you that hooked...

Nothing to report really, short of time at the moment as work is taking over (BOOOO) and cash is also running short I have a list of things I need to do to progress but have lost energey to continue at the moment.

I need to complete the trailer chassis, I have the brake lines now just need a push to finish it...

the trailer paint has gone hard now, so I need to flat it all back and paint, it also just hit me that I hadn't painted the underside!!!! Doh so I also need to turn it on it's side and get that done. I need some more fabrication done I didn't get any brackets welded on the underside to allow me to bolt the box to the chassis so it needs to go back and have that done, I also need to get the locks welded up and find some bar to complete the job.

Oh and then I need to fit the gas and power in the trailer insert and finish painting the kitchen unit and line the grill area with stainless.

Jason.

Posting this morning has helped me focus.... it's kind of therapeutic , I made a list of things that need doing and it's not as big as I thought.... unsure.gif

So I have some sticky backed 5mmx50mm foam that I was going to but between the body and the trailer, the question is, where do I stick it!!!! do I stick it to the trailer chassis or do I stick it to the Box body? does it matter?

Just one on the many questions I have to sort before the final push and I get things finished.

Jason.

After a crisis of confidence last week, where it was all getting me down, I left the trailer for a bit. I needed to sort out the Defender anyway; I have made a list of all the things I need to do and started ticking things off well that’s the plan anyway!!!!

So I started on the electrics today......

I fitted the fuse panel and started to think about the wiring, I have a drawing but wanted to get it straight in my head. I cut an access hole for the battery’s and water tank and started to find places for the water pump, mains electric breaker box and caravan charger unit.

I then ran the heavy duty cable for the Microwave, and a main switch panel, however the water tank will take up more room than I thought. It is a great fit but I needed to move the second battery to an outside locker but no great issues I just need to route the cable a different way.

I am a neat freak and hate seeing cable so I fitted some conduit to run the power through and routed the gas pipe I will clip all this to the sides, I also started to work on the water system and again started to figure out how I can hide the pipes....

Starting to come together now I will get back to the box next week I need finish the locks and bolt everything together finish the side lockers and flat it all back ready for the final coat of paint I got the roof rack re-welded last week so that’s ready for dressing the welds and painting.

Change of plan on the roof rack, it was going to be removable but now I am going to bolt it onto the brackets in a more permanent way and just lift the tent onto the trailer.

Jason.

post-15513-127525100967_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127525105164_thumb.jpg

It was time to paint the bottom today the weather was good so why not; I had dressed the welds yesterday so it was ready to be painted. I had forgotten to paint it!!!!! I also painted the roof rack, after it got re-welded; I also gave some of the fittings a second coat to get the bits I missed!!

I have decided that my fabrication efforts are shameful compared to most of the builds on here but, especially Lara and the HOFS team, but as I started posting and am nearly finished now I will continue to update my progress, but do hold my head in shame.

Now that the bottom is painted I need to finish the trailer chassis put the brakes back together and prep the body for the second coat, I have a wheel device for the drill which will let me flat back the chequer plate.

I then need to fit the rest of the locks and continue to do the internal fit, good news is I got a water tank, well four actually (see for sale listing!!) which was the last piece of the puzzle so I can finally finish all of the inside ready to fit it, and then sort the garden out....

Cheers, Jason.

post-15513-127576026129_thumb.jpg

Nearly there! Looks great smile.gif

Cheers Martin,

As you may have figured out I am in the project doldrums at the moment, work has taken all of my time and the trailer all my spare cash.... I want to enjoy it but really can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have often watched people build things only to sell them once finished and can now understand why, it's getting to a point where the enjoyment has gone and it's a chore now. I am a perfectionist and the trailer is far from that so it angers me.

I have been reading the HOFS LR build which was stunning in such a short time frame and Lara’s engine build in the cleanest workshop I have ever seen, when mine is just full of C**P at the moment...

I guess I just need to push on stop moaning and finish it....

Ok So I have another possible problem that I need to nip in the bud before it happens, the trailer is sealed very well against water ingress etc, my plan is I could ford it with no problems, this gives me another possible issue, The fridge will be on all of the time and needs to breath....

Mrs S actually came up with the idea, why don’t you fit a snorkel to the trailer to allow the hot air out.

So the questions are:

· Do I need two? Or would one do?

· I have a mushroom type snorkel at the moment, would this push air into the trailer or would I need to fit small 12v type fans to move the air around, I could fit these to a thermostat.

· Do you think this would work? If not what would, I don’t want to just fit vents as this defeats the object of sealing the trailer.

Cheers, Jason.

Jason If you have the room in between the roof rack and top of the trailer could you not fit one of those air circulation things you see on van roofs that spin or you'd have to fit the snorkels as was suggested by Mrs S

the other thing I wanted to say to you here is please don't hang your head in shame! as what you've done is a lot better than most people could ever dream of doing it's a work of art and it's all your's too, well done for cracking on and not letting it get to the stage of where the other people's projects go-they get sold, you said that your self!!-Surely this has got to be more satisfying than buying one off the shelf so to speak and it's to your spec aswell

perhaps taking a small break away from it will do you good and you can come back to it fresh to carry on and get it finished off, But don't keep putting it off otherwise it'll never get finished

good luck on the rest of it

regards

John

Cheers John,

I had not considered a roof vent, I will look into them, what happens if they get "Very wet" would water get in? thinking behind a snorkel is I could fit it to a air filter and trap any water.

Regards, Jason.

I think that you are overcomplicating it...

You are not going to be getting it so deep to cover the trailer (you hope!) so high level vent should do the trick I would think. You can get covers for fridge/motorhome vents. So you could fit one over before wading if you really wanted.

Many of these frideges are shoved in the back of vehicles with very little, if any, ventilation around them.

Keep it simple. Fans, thermostats, etc, etc are just more to go wrong.

Hi Jase, as have been said don't overcomplicate it. if your going to fully submerge it for a long periods you will find many problems to solve (trailer and towing vehicle)if not just find a normal shut off vent and sit it high, your fridge should keep cool for a fair time switched off to cross any ford or river, remember the force of flow to weight of trailer if you go in to deep. Keep up the good work (don't forget the photo's)