lt77 into series 3

mattdrummond99

why, if i wanted all the hassle of fitting an lt77 to my 109, do i have to change over transfer box or get dif mods?

i know it has ujs instead of cv joints, but surely this is nt to much of a problem? a lot of older fwd cars have uj s.

it says on little plate inside cab, something like if you use 4wd all the time, it will deteriate tyres quicker!

so why not put lt 77 in and move whole lot 4" forward and leave as permanent 4wd?

Mine's R380 but it's the same difference. You have a vehicle of superior wheelbase so you have plenty of space to fit it all in (usually people convert 88's which results in a rear propshaft about 6" long). My engine & box are actually further back than normal by a fair way.

I removed most of my crossmembers for various reasons (winch trays, fuel tank, gearbox, PAS) and replaced with fabricated ones, the gearbox/bellhousing one being a bolt-in jobby from a Range Rover as they're flatter profile, and we had one kicking about. You need to drill & tube the chassis for the bolts (M10x100 from memory) and the same thing for the (standard RR again) gearbox & transfer box mounts.

I went the LT230 route as it gives you a choice of ratios for high range and saves a lot of faffing about. I converted mine to 2WD, although as Jon W says you can run them in 4x4 no problem. The sticker on the Series bulkhead (and other vehicles too) refers to vehicles with no centre diff - they are either 2WD or locked 4WD, which will wind up and break if used on tarmac locked, whereas the LT230 has a centre diff when unlocked.

Coincidentally, Nige has just written a big post about gearing so that will help you too.

Plan view, x-members removed but not replaced yet:

post-21-125952903921_thumb.jpg

Side view:

post-21-125952900744_thumb.jpg

Clearance worked out well - flat bottom:

Clearance_sm.JPG

And a very nice man made me a lovely transmission tunnel:

tunnel.jpg

The photos I posted show you most of the main points - namely an LT77/R380 and LT230 sat in a 109 chassis in about the right place.

My setup is a bit odd as I have a long (RR/Disco) bellhousing with a defender shifter. A quick crawl under the nearest defender with the tape measure / digital camera should tell you what the rest of it looks like.

The tape measure will tell you what's needed props-wise, you may be able to get away with jiggling it all around to use off-the-shelf props (list of std lengths in the tech archive) or one standard and one custom, etc.

Hi

..When I built my 109 with a 200tdi and disco LT77/230 combo I ended up with 2 RRC/Disco rear props underneath, front and rear , I did mod the seatbox/ floor of mine tho so the gearstick might come out of the seat box on yours , that can be fixed tho as FF mentioned

cheers

Steveb

I'm running a disco 200tdi thats bolted in using the standard series engine mounts (mine was an 88" 2.25 petrol).

Defender LT77 and disco transfer box - this set up puts the gear levers in the right position, and I've cut away the series trans tunnel and an using a cut about defender one. The only mod I had to do to the seat box was to get it to mate up to the trans tunnel.

I cut out the bellhousing crossmember and the one that acts as geabox mount on the series. I replaced the bellhousing one with a modded one from a disco. You dont need the gearbox mount one as the LT230 has its own mounts.

Props are made up to suit - rear is just a shortened series rear one, front is a shortened rangie one.

It aint rocket science - you just need to make things up to suit. A bolt in mod it certainly isnt!

HTH

Jon

had tape out today! still working out, but bucketing down so did nt want to get too wet!!

but seems (very rough) that yes, front prop about 200 odd mm short of front flange, yep was thinking about shortening rrc or even just a rear 109 prop

and rear prop needs about an inch or so off.

very rough measurements! and will check again when not raining!

after which will check out shaft lengths in tech section (thanks fridge magnet)

will also check out gear shifts but it seems that has just been answered, thanks.

i saw on the dreaded bay, that there is a gearbox xmember for defenders that looks like couple of 1/4 plate welded to big diameter scaffold pole.

anyone got any dimensions for this? as was wondering about using this for gearbox/bulkhead x member????????????

anyway its looking reasonably doable now!!

hello again!

my only worry about this is the xmember behind gearbox, by pushing it back 4", will it not casue prop uj to be too tight?

mine is ex millitary, so already has longer shackles on springs.

love the disc brake idea twizzle, spose it does nt need moving at all then?

trouble is they so damn expensive!!!

hello again peeps!

have actually got gearbox to take some measurements off now!

i think , for me, easiest thing would be as follows:

def bellhousing gearbox,(lt77 whatever!)

disco lt230 1.2:1 as do quite a bit of trailer stuff, no point much higher.

need to pull engine 4" or there abouts, forward, to give enough clearance to be able to: keep standard 109 rear prop and give enough clearance to remove handbrake drum, pull gearbox off of engine for removal etc

i will need to move gearbox bellhousing crossmember back by a couple of inches if!! i want to run a shortened rear prop in sted of putting a 4"prop spacer on t box front shaft.

I HAVE MILITARY CROSSMEMBER SO IT IS SCALLOPED! in order to give clearance for extra height on mil spring hangers, othether wise would prob leave as is!(if scalloped)

now, i think! just a question of gearbox mountings?

engine mountings are just chopped off and moved forward.

any ideas?

also any ideas on any kind of rad that will fit in front space behind front grill? was thinking about asking nice chap in twells to cut rad down in height and just fit in hole!

got price for prop shortening as well £40 just incase any interested!

give us some come back pls!!!

oh and if anyone from kent wants to swap a 4.10 transfer for a 1.2 i would be more than interested!!!

cheers matt