Wheel bearings

the rear wheel bearing has gone again, it was only changed early this year, what is the best wheel bearings to put on and where is best to buy from?

I've always been told to get Timken bearings. £7 from paddocks (I think). Other mail order shops are available.

Depends what you have been up to, but if a bearing has gone that quickly I would guess that something else might be wrong.

the rear wheel bearing has gone again, it was only changed early this year, what is the best wheel bearings to put on and where is best to buy from?

Genuine Land Rover or Timken: try one of the larger more reputable traders or your local independent and insist on the make and only that make.

Also do all of them on an axle, set them up properly and make sure everything is clean and seated properly. If its lasted only this long, you might want to discuss this with the supplier!

Genuine Land Rover or Timken: try one of the larger more reputable traders or your local independent and insist on the make and only that make.

Also do all of them on an axle, set them up properly and make sure everything is clean and seated properly. If its lasted only this long, you might want to discuss this with the supplier!

LOADS of grease in there too.... good qaulity grease!

I was under the impression that land rover bearings are fully floating, so loads of grease is not necessary, as once you have done a few miles the bearing should run in EP 80/90. Correct me if i am wrong because i have just built a bearing up myself. Timken are good and the cleaner things are the better. HTH

Land Rover recomend LITHIUM grease for the wheel bearings.

If your bearings are failing this quickly then something must be wrong.....

I use lithium grease in mine. Good old Commer. I've yet to change a wheel bearing on my Defender, even after five years of use. I didn't change one on my Range Rover either in the five years I had that.

I do service my bearings at every service. 6,000 miles or six months..Do you ?

A tip.

Go to your favourite "go faster" shop and buy a tin or bottle of Wynns CHARGE. Put a desert spoonfull into a new tin of your favourite grgrease for your bearings...

HTH

ps I'm happy to let the grease get contaminated with EP90. However I pack with new clean grease on a service.

Mine are all converted to run EP90

Buy ONLY SKF or TIMKEN

Nige

I guess your running 24 spline axles and when you say "converted" am i right in guessin you have remove the inner seal that runs on the drive shaft? to allow the diff oil to get through?

yes - thats what i have done as well.

when fitting them, good dollop of grease and then let the ep90 seep in past the removed seals and they stay nice.

Just make sure the hub seal is of good quality (early rangerover seals are twin lipped i believe) and stub axle is not scored or pitted where the seal sits - or you'll get leaked ep all over your brake disks.