Power Steering Failure & Battery Warning Light

Hi all.

Took the defender out tonight to test the recently serviced handbrake. It now works very nicely. However, yet more problems have arisen. Firstly, the power steering has stopped working all together, and secondly the battery warning light on the dashboard is flickering. I also noticed the volt meter was a couple of volts down on usual. I've looked under the bonnet, cant see anything wrong, such as a load of power steering fluid. When the engines running, their is a rattle/knock coming from the front of the engine, somewhere near the fan.

Any ideas please?

The PAS pump recently seized on my disco200 in my 88...I havent got PAS on the 88 but had to keep the pump in the line because it acts as a counter shaft to get drive to the alternator. Anyway, point is, have changed it out and replaced it with an straight idler shaft i made years ago and never got round to fitting..the engine is a lot quieter. If you've got noise coming from around the fan, this is the first place I'd be looking. Have you a mechanics stethascope (sp?)? failing that, a long screwdriver? IIRC, the defender PAS is down the bottom on the NS, same as the TD? with the engine running, have a listen to the pump...that should confirm/dismiss it as the source of the noise.

not on a TD or 200tdi engine.

PAS has seperate belt

Alt/water pump share a belt.

If it is a Disco 200TDi, the PAS pump pulley has a second belt for the alternator. So if either PAS or alt has an issue it will affect the other.

I would suspect the belt from the crank to the PAS pump in this scenario.

Right, I think I have found the problem. Please excuse my lack of technical knowledge.

The large 'pulley' which drives all the belts is loose. It wobbles around and the belts are not being driven correctly, explaining the lack of power steering, and the battery warning light. Here's a picture of the bit which is loose.

200tdidiscoveryinaninetydefenderwit.jpg

Now, i cant see if the bolt is loose on mine because of the fan gaurd etc. From that picture, their is a large central bolt, and 4 around the outside?

I wil probably take it down the road to the local garage and get them to do it; obviously now i know what the problem is ill have to get my dad to tow it for me.

Anybody has this problem before?

That large pulley is held on the nose of the crankshaft by the large bolt you've identified. The bolt is supposed to be torqued up to over 200 ibs/ft and locktighted otherwise it'll work loose, much as you've found already. Unfortunately it's a fairly common failure caused by insufficient torque on the crank bolt and no threadlock - the rotation of the engine and the vibration combine to loosen the bolt otherwise.

There will probably be damage to both the pulley and the crank - there is also a woodruff key on the crank which will no doubt also be FUBAR by now...

If you're lucky you'll get away without having to replace the crankshaft.

Hope this helps - best of luck.

Matt

You may also find (as I did in this exact situation) that the harmonic dampener has failed (ie the large lump on the back of the pulley).

You will need to undo the very large bolt, and remove both the pulley and the dampener, as already identified and assess the nature of the damage.

I got away with just replacing the dampener, with very little damage to the crank. A new key was required, as was a little bit of attention with a file to the slot, but nothing serious.

By the way, I did all this in a carpark in guildford half way to a weekend in wales!

hth

Mark

The pulley is held on to the damper by the four bolts isnt it??? The damper is held on by the big bolt and the crank pulley is bolted to that. I have had it where the 4 bolts have come loose before (therefore just the pulley and not the damper) and just needed tightening up. Check this first - easy access from underneath even with the fan cowl on - no need to pay the garage.......

Correct, 4 x 10mm hex head bolts, check the pressed steel pulley for cracks around the bolt holes too.

Thats where i'd start anyway. More likely than the crank bolt coming loose - although thats not impossible as others here have unfortunately found out.