Polybush - Views Please....

Red / White Police spec springs are 170 Lbs and around 17+ inchs liong

fine for a RR with Boge self leveller not for a disco

Buy GENUINE springs not some **** sold as "Der Biz" :lol:

Genuine stuff spring wise is also suprisingly cheap as LR have dropped prices on classic stuff

and they last, ****part All**** and C**pocks specials will prob not give a level ride height

at best and defo sag sortly after the warranty expires which is either 1 year or 1 day after fitting :rofl:

The std Genuine springs and a set of decent shocks and bushes all genuine is all you need

Nige

Red / White Police spec springs are 170 Lbs and around 17+ inchs liong

fine for a RR with Boge self leveller not for a disco

Buy GENUINE springs not some **** sold as "Der Biz" :lol:

Genuine stuff spring wise is also suprisingly cheap as LR have dropped prices on classic stuff

and they last, ****part All**** and C**pocks specials will prob not give a level ride height

at best and defo sag sortly after the warranty expires which is either 1 year or 1 day after fitting :rofl:

The std Genuine springs and a set of decent shocks and bushes all genuine is all you need

Nige

You read my mind oh lr guru, i was just checking out a thread looking at the merits of genuine versus oem. Is best place to try LR local dealer or Rimmerbros? Looking at RB they seem to have 2 choices:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rimmer...covery/susp-std

or

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rimmer...;PartID=RD1048P

I'm praying it's the one closer to a £100 but somehow I don't think I'm that lucky. So at the moment it looks like going 100% genuine is dearer than fancy HD/gas stuff and you still say it's worth it? I'm hanging on your every word here, or do you know of anywhere that does cheaper genuine? Are the armstrong oil filled shocks as good as genuine shocks or again would you stick by genuine all round?

You read my mind oh lr guru, i was just checking out a thread looking at the merits of genuine versus oem. Is best place to try LR local dealer or Rimmerbros? Looking at RB they seem to have 2 choices:

or

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rimmer...;PartID=RD1048P

I'm praying it's the one closer to a £100 but somehow I don't think I'm that lucky. So at the moment it looks like going 100% genuine is dearer than fancy HD/gas stuff and you still say it's worth it? I'm hanging on your every word here, or do you know of anywhere that does cheaper genuine? Are the armstrong oil filled shocks as good as genuine shocks or again would you stick by genuine all round?

And OMG rubber bushes genuine:

A cool £150, again, for my resolve is it really worth getting genuine above the standard rubber bushes that the likes of Craddocks, Paddocks etc. sell?

And OMG rubber bushes genuine:

A cool £150, again, for my resolve is it really worth getting genuine above the standard rubber bushes that the likes of Craddocks, Paddocks etc. sell?

Just for reference to the tiny minority of people like me who didn't know; Rimmerbros alternative parts with P after the part number means "pattern" i.e. OEM which is why they're cheaper. One could assume that they're "better" OEM than the paddocks/britpart OEM stuff but I don't know for sure, any thoughts? And also re. the bushes, are OEM bushes okay rather than genuine or will they be more difficult to fit/be lower quality?

Thanks,

Sunny

Personally I don't have a massive problem with OEM compared to genuine. However, pattern is not OEM, it's pattern. You need to be careful of the terms, and you nee to be very clear when ordering or Paddocks etc. will send you Britpart / assorted unbranded cr*p if you don't tell them very clearly not to.

As a general rule, anything with a known brand I am happy with - EG Coopers/Fram/Mann for filters, Dayco for belts, Quinten Hazel for hose, TRW for brake & clutch bits, AP/B&B for friction bits etc.

I've never found Rimmer bros to be particularly cheap, in fact I've often found them to be bleedin' expensive.

Personally I don't have a massive problem with OEM compared to genuine. However, pattern is not OEM, it's pattern. You need to be careful of the terms, and you nee to be very clear when ordering or Paddocks etc. will send you Britpart / assorted unbranded cr*p if you don't tell them very clearly not to.

As a general rule, anything with a known brand I am happy with - EG Coopers/Fram/Mann for filters, Dayco for belts, Quinten Hazel for hose, TRW for brake & clutch bits, AP/B&B for friction bits etc.

I've never found Rimmer bros to be particularly cheap, in fact I've often found them to be bleedin' expensive.

I'd go with that, my local independent LR dealer can get the genuine springs in about £30 cheaper and of course I save more money on delivery. Earlier someone in the thread mentioned a local LR dealer was the best bet and it would appear so. Interesting that there's a difference between OEM and pattern, obvious I'm sure to everyone else! So in theory OEM is made to the same specification, materials etc. as LR genuine but just minus the label? Whereas pattern is literally a copy but not from the original factory? Is that correct?

So in theory OEM is made to the same specification, materials etc. as LR genuine but just minus the label? Whereas pattern is literally a copy but not from the original factory? Is that correct?

Yes

hi

i haven looked for the prices but i have always found land rover series to be well priced with quick delivery and there is always the option of pattern (not recomeneded usually) or genuine.

HTH

matt

Thanks for the tip, I tried the website, loads of parts and looks like it has anything you could possibly want but not much different in price in terms of the springs at least from Rimmerbros.

Yes

In which case why not just go OEM rather than genuine? Big difference in price, but same performance....right? And are there different levels of quality in OEM, i.e. oem from paddocks bad, but maybe okay from rimmerbros? Or is the minimum standard the same as genuine by default?

Sorry for the silly questions but I really want to make sure I'm not spending money unneccessarily....

Depends on who the OE Manufacturer is really - and ultimately actual genuine parts are usually the best quality of the lot. For example, AP/B&B, Luk, and Valeo make OEM clutches but (from memory) the Valeo ones fall apart on TDi's (there have been many threads on the subject) whereas AP ones don't.

The same goes for things like bearings - SKF, Hardy Spicer and GKN can be trusted to make things that work, others less so.

You have to be very careful when ordering from Paddocks et al, if in doubt ask them what brand the part is and if they can't/won't tell you (or they tell you it's unbranded, or worse Britpart) then go genuine or go elsewhere.

Could even be worth starting a thread (mods?) to list the OEM manufacturers and whether they're any good or not as plenty of people on here have had experience of what works and what doesn't.

On the subject of the standard rubber bonded suspension bushes I STRONGLY recommend you use the genuine 'Metalastic' bushes. If they are genuine landrover bushes they will be made by Metalastic.

So either buy genuine or from another source providing that they are made by Metalastic.

There are plenty of places which will sell you bushes that look just like the genuine metalastic ones, and plenty of companies will fob you off by saying theirs are the 'same' or as good as genuine.

In my experience the ONLY bonded bushes which last are the Metalastic ones as supplied by Land Rover.

By the way, any land rover which has had its suspension modified from standard tends to be harder on bushes (whatever the make), because the bushes invariable have to twist through larger ranges of movement or at more extreme angles than a standard set up.

Regards,

Diff

I`ve just received delivery of a swivel ball OEM. I was surprised to find it was in a Britpart box.

Turning this over while out walking the dog I decided to have a look at the Britpart website and found,

"Land Rover appointed Britpart as an ‘Approved European Parts Distributor’ for all Land Rover Genuine Parts.............

along with their extensive inventory of O.E.M. product"

My part doesn`t appear to be finished particularly well but according to the above it`s OEM.

I don`t know if I can be bothered with the hassle of changing it for genuine but I would like to hear others` opinions.

The idea of an OEM manufacturer thread is a good one.

John

I have red/white springs on the rear of my 1993 RRC (self leveller has been removed) shocks are unknown brand but fitted less than 1000 miles ago and to me the ride is a harsh and jittery at lower speeds on rutted roads. Not as compliant as I would have liked but they were on the car when i bought it. I have a feeling they are the same colour on the front - hmm will check tomorrow.