Polybush - Views Please....

Hello all,

Polybush Q now...

Part of the problem with the suspension mods is the "Tightness" of suspension mounts on the 90, the more droop and movement I go into the more I find the bushes will actaully hold and restrict movement....

I know this, as a mate who competes (and does well in Modified Trails) has a Range Rover Special, with a set of absolutely knacered bushes, come the MOT he swaps UNITs about, drives, gets MOT swaps back the 100,000 mile bushes, this then allows things to flex beatifully, I have been in it on the road, and its erm ...."Interesting".

So, thoughts have been to go possibly the rosejoint route - expensive, and I know from racer days they don't last long.

Have always been a beliver in "Genuine Parts" esp gearbox bits bushes etc so as to get the quality.....but as I want soft bushes, I know non genuine are usless (eh SCL ?), and have wondered about polybush ?

They do 2 sorts Standard and Comfort, I'm wondering does anyone have actaul knopwledge of these, ie what are they like, how much are they and do they just plain fall apart ?..............

Discuss :(

Nige

i have always run std and pretty much swear by them, they last, absorob bumpers and keep things tight when no worn out.

however for offroading i am 'trialling' some blue polybush (£100 + VAT) i paid, so far they are good although i have done about 2k on them. they are soft enough to flex allowing articulation etc but firm enough for holding the road. i think red could be too hard for atriculation plus i beleive whilst htey improve road handling they transmit alot of the bumps to the chassis etc.

Are you going three link at the front? That's the biggest improvement you can make.

Otherwise mine are a combination of stock, blues where the rods attach to the chassis and slotted :)

Rear body tub is my current limiting factor for arcticulation.

I run both the freelander racers on polybush's (orange) but the challange 90 runs majority Blue as did my old Disco.

the freelander has slotted polybushes on its more flexible parts

I have suffered no macanichal or chassie components wearing out because of the polybushes over the last ten years of using them

If you ask Ian at polybush they will make what ever you like if it is for the improvement of the product. I have spoken to him in the passed about slotted bushes and he has said before that it is not a problem to make them.

Jules

Nige

Polybushes tend to break up quite quickly, but rubber will degrade more gently.

I've gone back to rubber, as they are more forgiving of big articulation.

I've got a pair of adjustable trailing arms in my garage with rosejoints after the chassis bush - you might have seen them. They aren't particularly overgineered in tube sizes, the roses are worn, and I'm just about to cut them for MogLite, but I could be persuaded to change my mind..........

Andy

I use a combination of Blue & Red since the CSK is mostly on road I like to have the cornering but still the suppleness for off road and over the DoT's dreadful road repairs in our area.

Blue on all the radius arms to keep things comfy up & down.

Red on the A frame, Panhard rod & Anti Roll Bars to keep the axles in place side to side.

This is the second RRC I have done like this and it seems to work pretty well, 25k + mostly on road without any breakups.

If you want to see how supple it still is look on page 2 or 3 of the "Your Pics" thread to see, ask anyone who has been in mine on road will tell you it corners pretty well. Famous Four does me split kits at no extra cost.

I have used polybushes on four vehicles now without any problems but had to change a set of their competitors after less than 5k, they were dreadful and I ended up with a broken rear radius arm.

End of the day it much depends on your usage.

I tend to disagree with Andy on that one as I have had polybushes on the 90 longer than he has owned his Ibex.

Ive only just replace them due to replacing the radius arms etc.

If the bush is bracking up you will also be pushing the matel componets too far.

Polybushes tend to break up quite quickly, but rubber will degrade more gently.

[cough] not buying polybushes then ;)

I have got some good ones Nige, unbeatable articulation (especially when the shocker comes right off which would have been about another week I think) do you want me to get a full set from my local supplier :P:lol:

shaggedbush2.jpg

I can let you have the first couple quite cheap ... :lol:

edited to add ... I think the one in the middle must have been some sort of polybush ... wasn't rubber anyway! :angry:

>Are you going three link at the front? That's the biggest improvement you can make

Although I agree with this, you can gain almost as much articulation - but for about a fiver!

In my front hockey sticks, I run three hard polybushes and one soft one.

Why? - you ask.

When you articulate the front axle, the lack of flexibility in the bushes is trying to twist the axle casing.

If you make all the bushes soft, this allows the axle to roll on acceleration and braking and it makes the

on road manors very worrying.

By having a pair of hard bushes at one end, these being less flexible than standard, limits the axle roll to about the same degree as using four medium bushes. The soft one allows the two hockey sticks to move more independently of one another which allows more articulation.

Same principle as slotted bushes - but you keep the handling characteristics.

The thing I like about polybushes is you can buy them with at least three levels of flexibility. If you choose wisely a combination of hard and soft - you can have the best of both worlds.

Sounds doubtful? £1600 three-link sounds ideal for you then!

Si

P.S. How cheap do you reckon would three-link have to be to make it as common as winches & ARB's?

I swear by genuine rubber.

In the radius arms, use narrow bushes, even when the radius arm is the later, wider version. More flexible. I also use these in the gearbox mounts. In the rear, I have rodends on the chassis end and rubber on the axle end. Rod ends are OK, but make sure that one end of the link is still in rubber mount, otherwise the rodends will wear out much quicker, as you mentioned.

Nope,

I am not yet going 3 link, its the way to have extra articulation at the front, but I have some ideas that have been working through me brian for a while, and will still give me road manners....3 Link and 300 + BHP probably will not be too good !

As I have siad in all the posts, these are a selection of ideas I have considered, that I have decided to put into practise and see just what can be achived, one of these will involve cutting the wheel boxes heavily to allow wheels / tyres acess into the tub araea on heavy travel, and the rear will be 1st, then the front....

Ho Hum

Nige :ph34r:

Nige, I've got blue comfort Polybushes (proper Polybush, not deflex or any of the other type) on the radius arm to axle mounts on mine now. Got through 3 sets of genuine rubber bushes on there in less than 3 years and decided that I had to try something different! Polys have been on there 8 months now and still seem fine, although it hasn't seen so much off road use in that time as it used to. Mine has the narrow arms which is why the genuine ones don't last long. The used to flex very well when they're knackered, but drove terribly! Doesn't flex so well on the polybushes, but I can't compare them with new standard ones as the suspension has all been changed since then.

Cost for the 4 fronts was about £42 + VAT I think?, which I think is worth it if they last longer than the rubber ones and are easier to change when they are dead.

Richard

Hi HFH,

Iv'e been using genuine Polybush Comfort 'Blues' on my RRC and find them excellent. They have currently lasted over 80,000 kilometers of road, desert track and sand dune use.

Roger...............................Roger

:unsure: wallets had an outing ...........to Polybush :blink:

Cheap they are not !...........

Thanks to a chat with Paul W - a final 'sanity check' as to what I had been thinking of buying - and which mix of Polyes I was about to order ..... was one 'job done'

Few more bits to make / buy / and aquire and then the "Fun" starts...rear 1st .... :rolleyes:

Nige

I run both the freelander racers on polybush's (orange) but the challange 90 runs majority Blue as did my old Disco.

Yep! the disco is still going strong and the drive is superb :D !(That's probably blown it now...)

Without comprimising the off road flex.

Blue bushes are the way forward!

Mark

p.s. Hi Jules and Vicky!

I used to use the red ones in the rally car, but found that they were too tough and disintegrated rapidly. Moved to blues and whilst they gave me more flexibility, I found that they started to break up after a while.

Now I've gone back to original rubber bushes and will never experiment with bushes again!