D2 prop rebuild

white90

Tony, I can't rate them more highly. They ususally have a 24h turn arround but the last time I delt with them they were very busy (told me 10 days for a propshaft). I said I was pretty desperate to have it within 72 hours and so they gave the components to one of their rivals and the propshaft was with me within 48 hours. Exeptionally well priced too; they beat everyone by £50+ and knew exactly what they were talking about when I called as well as selling me what I wanted not what they wanted to sell.

The D2 props fail like this a lot, we have replaced several at work, though my own one is still hanging in there. Due to the stupidly high cost of a new one (£450 or something silly :o ) a bit of experimentation meant we found that an ordinary 300Tdi Defender 110 one will fit, if you change the t/box flange as well, and this is much cheaper! No sign of any driveline vibrations at our road speeds with this mod, not sure what it would be like on a motorway though.

IIRC you can get replacement double joint UJs, it is the jointy bit between the two UJs at the double end that packed up as it cannot be lubricated.

Thanks for the positives everyone!

John I'm having it rebuilt with fully greaseable/serviceable parts.

The prop as I said was of unkown vintage but was fine.

since then it has:

been to Belguim/Slindon/Exmoor laning/ruggaton Farm and approx 8k of road work. I regularly greased the front UJ and it is still fine

the double end I just washed off and gave it a good looking at as I couldn't do anything else.

So a new one may well last a a lot longer.

D90SV (Jim) told me they've had early life failures on D2's that don't go offroad at all so I'm not too worried.

The Propshaft clinic will sort it and I'll see how long it lasts this time as it will be like a new one.

For the Record D44 can get the double end UJ's for £20+vat

I can't see the point in uj's that can't be re-greased, surely you start the clock ticking as soon as you fit the thing. I bought a couple of UJ's from BLRS a year or so ago, and the box looked to all intents and purposes a Hardy Spicer item. The contents were uj's that couldn't be re-greased, and were a blatant copy of a known quality part.

Les.

No problems with Propshaft Clinic Tony. Go for it.

Although not the cheapest place in the world, they know their stuff and will do a good job. Every racer & modifier up t'north sends their stuff there so they know LR's. I also understand they make up all the props for Gone2Far. At least that's what they told me.

Kev

I can't see the point in uj's that can't be re-greased, surely you start the clock ticking as soon as you fit the thing. I bought a couple of UJ's from BLRS a year or so ago, and the box looked to all intents and purposes a Hardy Spicer item. The contents were uj's that couldn't be re-greased, and were a blatant copy of a known quality part.

Les.

Les, your looking from a different point than rover :D

Les.

Neither can I Les but it is the way most things are going these days. I don't think you will find grease nipples on most propshafts and things these days. "Sealed for life" usually means "Sealed for a shorter life...".

Having said that some "sealed for life" items (Discovery 2 or Freelander wheel bearings for example) seem to last much better than any of the old ones that could be periodically serviced so I don't know really!