Can i turn a negative into a positive?

hi guys,

on monday i had to use my 90 to get into work (as my work car was being used by another member of staff) and it stalled at a junction and then had a flat battery, walked home and got the missus and 3rd old out in her car with jump pack, no good (jump pack did not have enough charge). Then off to halfords and bought a set of 35mm jump leads which did the trick. Missues was not that happy though.

Spending £40 on my first day back to work was not planned so i'm trying to turn this issue into a positive. I had planned at some point to buy X-eng's jump lead set. Looking between the two, the cables are the same (35mm) so can i cut off one end of battery clamps and buying anderson's plugs and more cable create something like x-eng's set or am i missing something?

halfords leads - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_175953_langId_-1_categoryId_165719

x-eng leads - http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Jump.asp

thanks as always,

Rick

In a word.....YES.....its the plugs and battery conections that put the price up but your leads will be fine. Just keep a close eye on the clamps as they are plastic and if you have a lot of load through them they can melt.

I might do the same actually.

They are long enough to chop up a bit, thinking buy the same leads, get some 350amp anderson connectors and crimp terminals. Got to be cheaper than the x-jump! Might even be able to sell the other 2 clips to someone wanting to do the same

If you do buy additional Anderson Connectors to mix'n'match with X-Eng Jump Leads, make sure you buy them the same colour as the X-Eng ones.

The different coloured Anderson Connectors are keyed differently, so that they will only mate with another connector of the same colour.

If you're going to make your own 'X-Jump' from Halfords Jump Leads and Anderson Connectors, you might be interested in how I made mine.

I made up two sets of jump leads, using 35mm2 welding cable - with a Red Anderson Plug at one end and a pair of Red/Black Large heavy duty battery croc. clips at the other end.

One set of leads are 2m long, the other set are 6m long.

The slave socket on my 110 is in the near-side jerrycan locker, so I have the option of using either long or short leads (depending on how close I can get to the other vehicle) and if I need croc. clip to croc. clip, I've got an 8m long set when I plug them together.

The other advantage of doing it like this is that you can connect both sets of croc. clips 'dead' and then plug them together away from any explosion risk.

Those Halfords Jump Leads are 4.5m long, if you bought 3 x Anderson Connectors (the 175A ones are more than adequate), fitted one to your vehicle and used the other two to split your Halfords Jump Leads into a 0.5m set and a 4m set.

You would have a 4m set to use with your vehicle's slave socket and the 0.5m 'remnant' can be used to turn them back into a standard set of 4.5m Jump Leads to use between cars that don't have Anderson Connectors fitted.

I made my own with an old set of jump leads and a couple of grey 175amp (i think) Anderson plugs.

I also carry an extra set of jump leads to give a little extra reach if I'm in an awkward position.

£99 for them? Nah, make your own for about 30 quid!!

No brainer really, lol

If making your own bear in mind the longer the cable the greater the voltage drop - if you want a demonstration of this try disconnecting your vehicle battery at the negative terminal and just starting it drawing all the power off another vehicle with jump leads, you'll often be lucky if it turns over at all.