Winch electrical question

I have recently got my hands on an old Warn 8274 that I plan to tidy up and mount on my Td5 (probably a removable rear mount). I do not intend to use this much and certainly not for any serious self recovery (yet) but rather for occasional utility farm work.

All of my investigation on this forum points to the use of twin batteries for winches and probably an uprated alternator.

To what extent is it possible to get away with the single battery and standard alternator set up ?

Sorry if this is a simple question. I have had LRs for years but have never bothered with winches.

Thanks

TB

I've got a front mounted winch on mine for occasional use, self-recoverey etc and only a single battery.

I don't think you woud have a problem really so long as the engine is running while winching.

I think dual battery / split charge systems are more appropriate for heavy winch use, winch challenge competitions and such.

No problem at all - all the genuine Land Rover winch kits just go onto the standard vehicle battery. I used to have a Husky and then an 8274 before getting my Milemarker and both those used to run happily off one battery. Yes a triple battery split charge 24v winch system with dedicated alternator for the winch will be better, but it isn't 'necessary' for general use - not at all - and will cost you a second mortgage. For utility use get a couple of snatch blocks and you will be able to shift anything that is reasonably possible. Just make sure the battery in the vehicle is a good high capacity heavy duty type, the winch is well earthed back to the battery (not just through the frame and chassis) and you will be fine.

one battery will be fine.

on another note you may find it more £££ to sell the 8274 which command good money and buy something more compact and easy to mount on the rear (and lighter to move about by hand. you could sell the 8274 have a new TDS goldfish and still have ££££ left over i would of thought.

one battery will be fine.

on another note you may find it more £££ to sell the 8274 which command good money and buy something more compact and easy to mount on the rear (and lighter to move about by hand. you could sell the 8274 have a new TDS goldfish and still have ££££ left over i would of thought.

^^^^^ What James said - the 8274 is a big cumbersome winch to be using as a demountable piece of kit. Stick in the classified and you will have both arms bitten off.

Then go and speak to Mr Bowyer and you'll get everything you need for a rear mount demountable winch and have change for a pie and a pint (or three!)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips (and offers to purchase).

I have kept the 8274 and mounted it on its own little trailer (pics to follow when completed). This lets me use it behind a tractor as well as the LR which is fine for what I want it for.

I plan to replace the solenoids as the original ones are past their best and hence am looking at an Albright.

I notice that it is possible to get copies of the original Albright solenoid for about half the price.

Now, I know that these will not be as good but how do they rate ? As good as original / avoid / OK for non-comp use ?

Thanks

TB

I plan to replace the solenoids as the original ones are past their best and hence am looking at an Albright.

I notice that it is possible to get copies of the original Albright solenoid for about half the price.

Now, I know that these will not be as good but how do they rate ? As good as original / avoid / OK for non-comp use ?

Have a look at this -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=9118&view=findpost&p=96324