any one used a merc vito/vw t4 for towing???

maxtherotti

hi all

as you may know i have a disco but i need a motor with more interior space!!

so im looking at either a vw transporter or a merc vito but i need to know what they tow like?

tow item is my caravan so 26foot and 1900kg

ill be looking at the older models due to budget restraints so 638 model vito (fwd) or early t4 transporter

also does anyone have one they want to do a deal with my mint 98 disco es tdi manual ???

thanks rob

Our boat club used an ex-AA T4 to tow a rowing boat trailer, it was loaded with about 450kg of boat and gear the boat trailer was a dirty great big twin axel thing, that weighed a fair bit!!

It towed pretty well, it was a 2.8 td I believe with about 130k on the clock

can't say much else sorry, was only a passenger!

Jase

The old FWD Vito is not good at towing!

The New RWD Vito is very nice and I have towed 2500kg behind me with no problems,

The Ultimate is the Vito I have now, 4WD 115D 150hp and 330nm torque from nothing up!

Actually tows as well as my 318 Sprinter up to my personal 70mph limit, easily safe at that speed!

Drove it last year to Italy with a 1800kg car inside my covered trailer, over the mountains and up the hairpins, and it drove perfectly!!

highly recommended!!

Lara

PS.

Mine is an Auto with tiptronic! Wonderful box!!! and no clutch!

The clutch in my 90 died just before Christmas - Me and two colleagues recovered the Ninety 25 miles to my mechanic with a works Vito. (X Reg, FWD with i think the 1.9 engine). Had no problems at all, pulled like a train.

...and this was during the cold snap with horrendous icy conditions towing a disabled (and laden!) LR up some very steep gradients. Bit scary for me in the ninety though!

I should mention though that, even though in my experience the Vito's engines are bulletproof, the bodywork - especially on the old models is very fragile. Door locks and catches in particular are very prone to failure.

older cdi engined vito.s are a real lottery,akin to a p38rr.glow plugs fail and snap as you try to remove them,injectors leak,electrics play up,paint falls off,gear change linkage goes sloppy,immobilisers are unreliable,heater motors fail,they are built in spain not germany,t4 transporters as a 1.9 are gutless,most are only 88 bhp,the 2.5 is better,such as the ex aa ones,they suffer gearbox failures though,don,t ask me how i know all this though.all joking apart you would be better off with a ssangyong/daewoo musso for what you are wanting to do and take the rear seats out,they run a 2.9 merc td engine,£2000 will buy you a year 2000 one,the daewoo came with the first 3 years servicing included in purchase price.

1900kg is going to be right at upper legal limit for these vans , and t4 a bit low on power, AA ones were chipped to about 120 . A sub 7.5 ton dual cab might be a better bet for a lot of towing without pushing everything to its limit , which tends to create expensive maintenance. JMHO

ps just a thought would a 130td5 dchcpu do the job ?

Edited by tacr2man

1900kg is going to be right at upper legal limit for these vans , and t4 a bit low on power, AA ones were chipped to about 120 . A sub 7.5 ton dual cab might be a better bet for a lot of towing without pushing everything to its limit , which tends to create expensive maintenance. JMHO

ps just a thought would a 130td5 dchcpu do the job ?

cant go for a large commercial dont want to look too pikey lol

starting to think maybe a 110 csw or a landcruiser will be better

pick up is no good tho swmbo wont allow the dog to be in the back lololol

rob

Hi there,

Yes,

I had a front wheel drive 112 manual originally, was the most expensive thing I ever bought (except the Landy ;o) Repairs after repairs!! about 3 gearboxes, clutches all sorts,

And for towing it was all over the place unless we loaded the back with about 200kg and right up front of the load area!! otherwise the wheels had no grip / steering etc

The new ones are Sooooooooooooooooooooooo much better, and the 4wd auto is a marvel!!

Lara

your 4wd auto sounds ideal and way out of my budget lol

i need to clarify i know exactly what a 638 vito (and 639 up to 2007 for that matter) as i used to be a merc commercial tech and was a merc service 24 tech too

so im fully aware of the leaking injectors/pumps etc and dash faults etc etc o and rust :lol: (will remind me of a landy :lol::lol: )

i just needed to know how they tow big loads

it sounds like they wont really be suitable for my needs tho

so how much more interior room is there in a 110/landcruiser/p38/surf over a disco??

thanks rob

have you discounted a shogun? they offer quite a bit of boot space owing to them being a proper 7 seater. best of all they seem to be really cheap at the moment. Have toured a somewhat tired 1991 v6 round iceland, which had 390000km on the clock and apart from a few fuses it was fine. i'm led to believe the diesels are either slow, 2.5, or thirsty, 2.8, so maybe the v6 is the one to have. we managed 20mpg over about 350km (first fill up), much of which was off road and i was quite surprised by that.

have you discounted a shogun? they offer quite a bit of boot space owing to them being a proper 7 seater. best of all they seem to be really cheap at the moment. Have toured a somewhat tired 1991 v6 round iceland, which had 390000km on the clock and apart from a few fuses it was fine. i'm led to believe the diesels are either slow, 2.5, or thirsty, 2.8, so maybe the v6 is the one to have. we managed 20mpg over about 350km (first fill up), much of which was off road and i was quite surprised by that.

i had one of them not too long ago and all tho they drive ok fuel consumption was shocking (v6 24v)and spares prices was high too

rob

post-12058-126600761905_thumb.jpg

hmm, been there and tried that then. maybe its why they're cheap. in their favour there are plenty in the scrapyards for bits at least. unfortunately, i think with your disco, you have one of the more efficient 4x4's of that era.

can i ask what mpg you got on road with your shogun? was it running larger than standard rubber

my shogun was a 96 p reg 3000 v6 auto

running 33x12.5x15 tyres (only mod)

and i never got better than 21mpg even if i drove like a nun

made the bmw 740 i sport auto i got rid of for it seem practical at 26mpg

the disco does 35mpg on a run and 30mpg round town

still knocks in 24/26mpg towing

rob