defenders and dogs

Hi all,

Slightly more trivial question I guess, but not one some have faced? I've always since being young loved Staffords, and finally at the age of 42 can afford to look after one properly, so i now own one(Ronnie), now I thought I was gonna be this great big bloke with a ferocious dog that would protect me and mine, how wrong can one person be?, the missus has taken over and my attack dog is now a Chiwowa (forgive spelling)(there is a Landy question coming) I used to own a Disco, great no probs, dog could easily sit in the footwell or back seat, now I have got rid of the Disco and bought a 90 wheres the dog gonna sit?, I have removed the middle seat and fitted a cubby box("quote" Ronnie would love to sit there") we go camping in the Landy, and we quite happily filled the Disco boot space with our stuff, but still left room for my Staff, onwards and upwards, the 90 is not designed to be a family motor, so where do you put things?, I dont like the spare wheel on the back door as it makes it heavy and hard to get the handle, so its on the rear bulkhead(I am looking for a 3/4 roofrack)the tent we,I, she bought from Ebay is 7 metres long(women have no concept of size? I keep trying to show her how big twelve inches really is :D )the bag the tent lives in is the size of a small dead phillapeno would quite easily be hidden in here, so along with cooker, clothes,and a full size BBQ fire pit at nearly a metre across etc, my Landy is full. apart from a trailer(not driven with one yet) what do you do?

P.S. She is thinking of getting another??????????? weight-wise two Staffs will weigh in at around 50kg,we where at the vets today and Ron is 25kgs, so I guess strapping the dogs to the roof-rack is out due to the weight restrictions?, light-hearted, but still a question

Cheers Paul

The Beastie is a hardtop 90 and Rolo is a collie-spaniel cross (plus several other types thrown in for good measure). What I do for long trips is put in a dog guard at the rear bulkhead behind the seats. I then have two stowage boxes that sit on the wheel arches and I made up a platform using what I think is called Sterling board - big flake chipboard stuff all waterproofed. There is a bit attached at 90 degrees that fits to front that prevents the platform flying forward through the gap between the dog guard and the bulkhead.

I then covered it with underlay and some old carpet (he is much loved but having seen him try to hold his balance on the bare chipboard going round a corner he needed something to get a grip).

He loves it since he can see out the front but has loads of room to stretch out - and I can still use almost the whole of the back of the 90.

For a Stafford (at least when it gets big) you might need some supporting structure under the platform but I am sure the idea would work well!

Could take some pictures if interested.

Good luck

The Beastie is a hardtop 90 and Rolo is a collie-spaniel cross (plus several other types thrown in for good measure). What I do for long trips is put in a dog guard at the rear bulkhead behind the seats. I then have two stowage boxes that sit on the wheel arches and I made up a platform using what I think is called Sterling board - big flake chipboard stuff all waterproofed. There is a bit attached at 90 degrees that fits to front that prevents the platform flying forward through the gap between the dog guard and the bulkhead.

I then covered it with underlay and some old carpet (he is much loved but having seen him try to hold his balance on the bare chipboard going round a corner he needed something to get a grip).

He loves it since he can see out the front but has loads of room to stretch out - and I can still use almost the whole of the back of the 90.

For a Stafford (at least when it gets big) you might need some supporting structure under the platform but I am sure the idea would work well!

Could take some pictures if interested.

Good luck

When he gets big, he weighs about 5 stone now? but I always remember that car safe advert where your child in the back can turn into a baby elephant and fly forward and kill you, still makes me grin, I know i shouldnt :ph34r:

But yeah pictures would be fab as we are going to the Land Rover/Country show next weekend, so I did want to try something before then post-19709-127144314216_thumb.jpg

Cheers Paul

Sorry mods, don't wanna turn it in to a pet forum, but I couldn't resist

Get a trailer-My sankey goes well behind my 90 and if you do remove the cubby box to make room, beware that when ronnie sit's there then he may start licking his paws to cool them down,cover the metal plate with something to make it comfortable for the dog as the heat from the gearbox is a bit hot for a dog

I have a 110 and use to have a Rottweiler, a Labrador and a Basset Hound, with no matters or concerns in space. Hoqwever, we also have 2 88' Series, and go campig both of us with all 3 is almost an apocallyptic labours, but possible. Usually we make a plataform with our packs for them, leaving a sheet on top for odor and hair issues. Now we have another variable, it is the new baby, and the problem is the security concern you mention. In USA they sell a dog harness to use with your seat belt, around 30 punds each. it's adjustable.

My dog thinks the passenger seat is his & anyone else should sit in the middle.I'm sure he thinks he should be driving sometimes.

Give the dog his seat & leave the wife behind.

Mine thinks the passenger seat is hers by right. If she has to travel in the back row seats she moans from start to finish

post-22448-127152381877_thumb.jpg