What's the easiest way to drain the fuel system

Ooops

The lad at the local garage filled my 300tdi with petrol. I didn't realise until 5k later as I pulled into the drive and it started to splutter.

When I unscrewed the filler cap it reeked of petrol.

Having done a search I get the impression that there won't be any damage and that small amounts of petrol in the system can be be diluted to a safe level by filling up with diesel.

However the tank was was on reserve when it was filled so its full of petrol that has to come out.

So what's the most user friendly way of emptying the tank?

Is it feasible to empty the tank by separating the fuel line some where between the tank and the filter, (as near to the tank as possible) to let the fuel out and then pressurising the tank with compressed air from a diving cylinder?

All ideas gratefully received.

Phone the garage and tell them to get it sorted for ya.....there mistake.

I agree, if it was somebody elses fk up they should sort it!

If not, then you have to get as much as possible out. The diving cylinder idea would work but bear in mind it will probably only take 10 psi to pop something as the system isn't designed for pressure - so be careful! You could take up the carpet in the back, take the sender unit out of the top of the tank and syphon it out with a hosepipe but that will take a wee while.

Put a petrol engine in it until you run out of fuel :)

Syphon via the sender is what I would do as well. Disconnect the fuel supply to the lift pump and fuel will drain back into the tank, then empty the filter and fill with diesel and prime the system. If there's a small amount of petrol left in the tank - it'll be well diluted by diesel, so shouldn't give you any problems.

Les.

I'd love to but I'm in a part of the world where that just wouldn't fly

Thanks every one for the ideas. I couldn't get into the pump/sender unit because the screws were too shot, (clearly a future job), so I undid the filler hose where it meets the tank and fed in a 3/8" boat fuel line complete with primer bulb. It took a while but I got out some where between 75 and 80lt. I also dropped and drained the filter, its back on to keep the dust out but I'll replace it asap.

I'm hoping that petrol left in the system will be sufficiently diluted when I refill it.

Typically I can't put my hand on the manual when I need it so as far as priming is concerned I see that there's a bleed screw on the fuel filter housing do I crank the engine over with it cracked open until there's no air to be seen in the fuel and then tighten it up?

Thanks

Olly

Tdi 's are self bleeding. Just fill the new filter with diesel, screw it on and crank away. It will soon fire and after a few hiccups will settle down and run without problems. You can help it by opening the screw on the top of the filter housing and pumping the lever on the lift pump until fuel starts to flow and then your lines form the tank to the filter are full and it will start a bit easier. Just think yourself lucky its not a Lucas CAV!

Tdi 's are self bleeding. Just fill the new filter with diesel, screw it on and crank away. It will soon fire and after a few hiccups will settle down and run without problems. You can help it by opening the screw on the top of the filter housing and pumping the lever on the lift pump until fuel starts to flow and then your lines form the tank to the filter are full and it will start a bit easier. Just think yourself lucky its not a Lucas CAV!

Today I filled the fuel filter and put a jerry of diesel into the tank. Hand priming with the lever wasn't an option as the lines were dry so I turned it over two or three times and it sprang to life.

As you say its self priming. All in all a result.

Many thanks for every one's replies, much appreciated

Olly