V8 engine number query

Oakmaster

I wonder if you might be able to help me. With an engine number query?

While filling in the insurance forms for a recently acquired Landrover I had to state the engine number,

The number stamped on the block is 28G00271A compression ration is 8.13 : 1

This doesn't seem to fit into any of the series of numbers available on the commonly featured websites? Anybody know where it came from?

The engine was transplanted into a 1989 Landrover 110 pick-up, 3 owners back and was thought to have come from a Ranger Rover

Many thanks

While filling in the insurance forms for a recently acquired Landrover I had to state the engine number,

This doesn't seem to fit into any of the series of numbers available on the commonly featured websites? Anybody know where it came from?

The engine was transplanted into a 1989 Landrover 110 pick-up, 3 owners back and was thought to have come from a Ranger Rover

Many thanks

You can ask Land Rover.

My transplanted V8 90 Land Rover came with a letter from Land Rover Traceability department confirming it's original manufacture date.

Many thanks

There are quite a few of the 28G engines around now..........

It has always been rumoured, but never actually confirmed with documentary evidence, that the 28G engines were the last to be supplied to the MOD in the 3.5L capacity. These were in late model 127 ambulances.

There are quite a few of the 28G engines around now..........

It has always been rumoured, but never actually confirmed with documentary evidence, that the 28G engines were the last to be supplied to the MOD in the 3.5L capacity. These were in late model 127 ambulances.

I can confirm at least some of that Ian:

From my contact at Traceability...

28 G 3.5 V8 REDUCED POWER MOD 1986 > LAND ROVER

Matt

I can confirm at least some of that Ian:

From my contact at Traceability...

28 G 3.5 V8 REDUCED POWER MOD 1986 > LAND ROVER

Matt

Thanks everybody for your help I am trying Landrover direct as well will post anything I find out - slightly alarmed at the 28 G 3.5 V8 REDUCED POWER Thats not what we want? I wonder what they did to reduce the power? (and how do I reverse it?)

Probably restrictors in the inlet manifold, and quite possibly an unlumpy cam and low compression ratio.

If its done any sort of mileage the cams probably due replacement anyway, so you can chuck a decent 3.9 efi cam in there, and ditching the carbs for EFI should see the rest of the power return :)