200tdi into a 90

Hi all,

I have trawled through the tech archives etc. before asking, but is there an idots guide, preferribly with pictures on doing this conversion, Discovery 200 tdi into a landy 90?

Hopefully there is as my new engine and engine hoist arrive Thursday(2 days) and my house will be filled with mates for muscle over the weekend.

Cheers Paul

Yeah, cheers Mo, its a disco 200, I only posted up cos its the first time ive attempted anything this big and dont really have a clue where to start, think the biggest job ive done like this would have been when I was 5 and it was with Meccano :blink:

Paul

Yeah, cheers Mo, its a disco 200, I only posted up cos its the first time ive attempted anything this big and dont really have a clue where to start, think the biggest job ive done like this would have been when I was 5 and it was with Meccano :blink:

Paul

You'll be fine. Its just a bigger meccano set. Before i changed my engine, the most technical i'd got was servicing the existing one and re-building little mower engines and i got on just fine.

hi all,

hopefully this wont turn into a build thread, cos i wanna be back on the road sunday? but i started stripping out the ole engine today, so off with her "RAD" everything undun and as i said i am more than a complete novice, i would go so far to say i was a with-out-a-clueist so next question, as im looking at the windscreen from the front of the vehicle should i have oil coming out of the radiator and pipe i took off at the bottom left hand side?, not the large pipe 3-4cm but the smaller one that has bent metal pipework built in, i can see this weekend being a long one?????

Paul

Thats the intercooler pipework Paul, some oil there is normal as the crankcase breather vents into the inlet system and inevitably some oil finds its way through too. The "radiator", if its smaller and silver is the intercooler.

HTH

Mo

Mo - I think hes talking about the oil cooler, not the intercooler - (left side facing the vehicle)

Sharpy - there is an oil cooler in the left side of the rad as you face the vehicle. If you follow the little pipe you have disconnected back, it should trace back to the oil filter area, so yes, oil there is normal.

Hi all,

Finally completed the heart transplant, but now another problem has reared its head, wondered if im doing something wrong.

Everything is connected and new oil, water etc. but when i try to start the engine all i get is a click, which seems to be behind the instrument panel and the brake light comes on, engine doesnt even try to turn and the click is definately not from the engine bay area, as i have had a sticky started motor before, i have put another battery on just in case it was that but still the same?

Paul :(

which brake light ? on the warning light panel or the lights on rear of the vehicle ?

if on the warning light panel, it's meant to light as a bulb check during the cranking of the engine.

are you sure the engine earth lead is connected & the engine iring is correct

I had the same problem when I did my transplant -

turned out to be a bad connection to the starter and soleniod. I just cleaned all the terminals up and made sure they were good and tight - bingo fired straight off!

Dave.

which brake light ? on the warning light panel or the lights on rear of the vehicle ?

if on the warning light panel, it's meant to light as a bulb check during the cranking of the engine.

are you sure the engine earth lead is connected & the engine iring is correct

hi,

not sure which earth you mean, i have been out and double checked that the earth lead that comes form the starter motor is connected to the chassis, which it is. and the light is the warning light on the dash.

Paul

hi,

not sure which earth you mean, i have been out and double checked that the earth lead that comes form the starter motor is connected to the chassis, which it is. and the light is the warning light on the dash.

Paul

should be 2 thick earth leads ---

1 from engine block to chassis

1 from battery negative terminal to joint bolt of transfer & main gearboxes.

the brake light warning on the dash is normal when starting.

do you get the ign/charge & oil pressure lights too ?

Hi,

Yeah im pretty sure it is electrickery where im stumbling, so here is what I have connected

spade connector to thermostat

spade connector to oil pump

spade connector to carb

small red wire with ring connector to diesel injector nearest bulkhead

alternator 3 spade plug to rear of alternator

four brown wires, wired to 2 ring connectors to copper bolt on starter

ring connector from Battery?, very thick red wire (several strands, thick as little finger) from bulkhead area to copper bolt on starter motor

thickish black wire with ring connector to engine block below manifold from starter

black wire with ring connector to engine mounting

There is one spade connector with a green wire to it which is floating about, not connected, due to the size of the engine swap I did have several mates helping, I removed what I thought to be all the wiring but I could have missed this and it could have been taken off by someone else?

Paul

I reckon you might have missed the starter relay connection, though my haynes has that as a white with red tracer.

As well as all the 'fat' wiring and the ring terminal stuff connected to the starter solenoid, I think there should be spade terminal tucked away at the top of the starter/solenoid. Will try and get a photo later.

D

It could be a dodgy starter, did you fit your old starter or is it the one with the replacement engine?

To test remove the white/red wire from the blade terminal on the starter solenoid , fit a test wire to the terminal thats long enough to reach either the stud on the starter with the battery supply lead or the large brown wire on the alternator - both batt live. Touch the test wire to said live terminal and starter should engage and turn the engine over ;)

hth

Steveb

This might illustrate my ramblings in the previous post - and in actual fact shows a 'blue' wire attached to the starter solenoid, although this appears to have been added onto the original white/red wire to extend/repair the loom by a previous owner.

post-9229-127529397369_thumb.jpg

Dave.

It could be a dodgy starter, did you fit your old starter or is it the one with the replacement engine?

To test remove the white/red wire from the blade terminal on the starter solenoid , fit a test wire to the terminal thats long enough to reach either the stud on the starter with the battery supply lead or the large brown wire on the alternator - both batt live. Touch the test wire to said live terminal and starter should engage and turn the engine over ;)

hth

Steveb

Hi the starter was from my old engine, which turned over the old lump last thursday, so im assuming its ok, but i will test it A.S.A.P.

Paul

This might illustrate my ramblings in the previous post - and in actual fact shows a 'blue' wire attached to the starter solenoid, although this appears to have been added onto the original white/red wire to extend/repair the loom by a previous owner.

post-9229-127529397369_thumb.jpg

Dave.

Bloody Land rover,

Yeah i had missed that connector, starter up sounded sweet as a nut, not even put exhaust back on and it was quieter than the old engine.

But it wouldnt turn off???? disconnected battery, still ran and disconnected fuel feed electricity and its off, NOW WHAT????????????

The correct wire for the fuel cut-off is a white wire , live only when the ignition is on , could be the fuel cut-off solenoid is stuck open. with the ign on , engine not running touch the white wire to the terminal on the IP and you should hear a click

Steveb

i have checked out the white wire and it is only live when the ignition is on, i cant really say i can hear a click when i connect the terminal to the pump?, would this then point to the solonoid being stuck open?, if so why did the engine shut down when i pull the wire off??

Paul