Finally finished them!!

As those of you on this Forum who I talk to away from the computer ( not so much time to post these days ) will know I have been threatening to make these PAS reservoirs with a built in spin-on filter for about 18 months.... and now I have finally finished them!!!

The idea was simply for a way of filtering all the bits of metal out of the PAS fluid so that they didn't just keep circulating and killing the seals. These are the bits that give your PAS fluid that lovely metallic red colour which should actually be a see-through red colour.

It had to be simple, neat and easy to clean / change. The easiest way was to simply pit an inline filter into the system but this was always going to be a row as to where to install it. So and integral reservoir / filter thing was the answer.

Anyway they are now finished. Look at the pics of them on the Hydro assist page of my website.

David

As those of you on this Forum who I talk to away from the computer ( not so much time to post these days ) will know I have been threatening to make these PAS reservoirs with a built in spin-on filter for about 18 months.... and now I have finally finished them!!!

The idea was simply for a way of filtering all the bits of metal out of the PAS fluid so that they didn't just keep circulating and killing the seals. These are the bits that give your PAS fluid that lovely metallic red colour which should actually be a see-through red colour.

It had to be simple, neat and easy to clean / change. The easiest way was to simply pit an inline filter into the system but this was always going to be a row as to where to install it. So and integral reservoir / filter thing was the answer.

Anyway they are now finished. Look at the pics of them on the Hydro assist page of my website.

David

Nice!

There is a typo though. 'Spon on filter' ;)

Reservoir and standard are also typos in the blurb.

Otherwise looks impressive :)

Typos put right - thankyou for pointing them out.

Yet more pressure mounts on the proof reader to resign! Though she reckons if I typed better her job would be easier! :rolleyes:

David

i should hope so, for that price !

I must agmit I wished they could have worked out cheaper but when you see how much people are charging ( even on Eblag ) for header tanks and swirl pots that are effecctively just an empty box ( £75-90!! ) then I reckon they are about right.

It would be nice if they could be cheaper but the 'Proof Reader' would moan if I started selling things at a loss :rolleyes:

David

I have seen these in person and they look great.

Personally I think that if I were to do the welding work to make these pots I would want to be paid the asking price for that before adding the cost of materials.

Just a thought how much extra to tee in a drain tap to the pump feed side so you don't get soaked when you go to change the oil filter?

Would it be possible to have some form of pressure/vacuum (lack of flow) switch that would show the filter was blocked?

I have seen these in person and they look great.

Personally I think that if I were to do the welding work to make these pots I would want to be paid the asking price for that before adding the cost of materials.

Just a thought how much extra to tee in a drain tap to the pump feed side so you don't get soaked when you go to change the oil filter?

Would it be possible to have some form of pressure/vacuum (lack of flow) switch that would show the filter was blocked?

Very easy to put a T into the return port with a blanking cap over the one branch that could be used as a drain tap....

The vacuum thing would be rather nifty - like the old air filters on diesels used to have....

At £100 they are not cheap but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than keep buying pumps and boxes :rolleyes::rolleyes:

David

The idea of filtering power steering fluid is intriguing, and the integrated spin-on filter and reservoir is a neat solution. However, I think my "poor man's" variation has some merit. I've got a rare earth magnet suspended from the dip stick, which is a part of the reservoir lid, which I clean every few months. The fluid leaves the usual pink stain on white tissue, but when I wipe the magnet a grey smear is left. I assume this is the debris that the magnet has removed from the circulating fluid. My fluid never has the "metallic" look mentioned by Dave. Admittedly, only steel debris will be captured, but the wearing components are mainly steel, so most debris should end up on the magnet. So, that's my low cost attempt to protect my steering pump components.

Mike

It may be just me but that looks a lot like you've welded a can to the top of a Mocal remote filter head, is the oil filter a Rover V8 one by any chance? :ph34r:

rfh2.gif

Right on the filter head but miles away on the filter itself :rolleyes::rolleyes: Plus a little bit of internal machining and welding...

David