Relocating wiper motor to engine bay from dash

As above - why? Also, it's not designed to live in the engine bay so may well pack up.

Thirdly - why?

It would end up under the wing behind and possibly in the way of the heater fan, need another biggish hole in the bulkhead, require a longer tube and shaft to operate and have two extra and radical bends in it (making it struggle even more).

Edited by errol209

The only possible reason I can think of why you would want to relocate the motor is to fit a normal sized speaker in the dash instead of an expensive slim one.

Unless your knees are hard of hearing, I reckon it's better to fit new speakers in a better location than the factory location and leave the wiper motor where it is.

Either that, or the area swept my your wipers is too consistent and you wish to place the motor under higher strain to remove the aforementioned consistency and wipe the bulkhead vents & A pillars randomly.

Digressing a little, but I must admit I have wondered whether it would be possible to have another motor at 'the other end of the line' ie in the LHD position. But I think that might be similar to 2 cats in a bag. Ok for a few seconds till they realise the other is there....

Nigel

But I think that might be similar to 2 cats in a bag. Ok for a few seconds till they realise the other is there....

Emm, yes especially after the park switch gives up on one of them after a few wipes.

You could drive one wiper from each motor though.

Emm, yes especially after the park switch gives up on one of them after a few wipes.

You could drive one wiper from each motor though.

I think they'd have to use one park switch, as they are unlikely to agree on that it's true - so it would be a master/slave or MP/dominatrix kind of relationship. If each motor drove one wiper there would have to be something to ensure both wipers didn't try to occupy the same bit of time/space continuum. I don't think you could just set them off apart and hope they ran at the same speed.

Nigel

Or you could use two servo-motors with shaft encoders and PID controllers to ensure the wipers remained in sync, or stepper motors...

Doing it Series-style (clearly superior :P ) the wipers can't collide and you could have one motor per wiper if you wanted.

Thanks for the responses

The idea was to put in decent normal speakers and also because my wipers are so pants and random atm maybe fitting a bigger better motor off of a different car.

i dont think the heater matrix would be in the way as i have a custom home made one adapted fom an MGF, This makes me nice and warm whatever the weather :D

TBH I don't think it's worthwhile for the sake of slightly bigger speakers firing into the footwells, you'd be better off making a little box that mounted the speaker pointing at your head instead.

Improving the wipers, as a separate project, is a noble enough cause though.

I've relocated mine to the top left corner of the windscreen surround. The wipers now work from the top of the screen down. Fairly straightforward - just had to sort a mounting bracket that bolts to the frame - and took a bit of time but works well and nicely tucked up out of the way in the roof.

Now info about that I think we would like to see. if you have time :D

unfortunately i didnt take many pictures during the making although i will start a thread tonight explaining what i did, i also changed the cr@ppy levers to nice turn dials al the same time.

Thanks for the responses

The idea was to put in decent normal speakers and also because my wipers are so pants and random atm maybe fitting a bigger better motor off of a different car.

You could change to a TD5 2002 Defender setup, they moved the wiper motor higher up, basically getting rid of the bend in the lead screw and tubing. It seems to give a slightly improved wiper performance too as everything is working inline rather than trying to work around a bend. You'd just need the tube between the LH wiper wheel and the motor unless you can straighten out and shorten the one you have. You also need to cut away some of the metal in the lower dashboard and add a couple of rivnuts to hold the motor in it's new position.

It gives a lot more room for a speaker at that side.