Slightly OT but Tech as well

Hi all,

I became the proud owner of one of Neil Whitfords fine creations (the Rock Rod ) a while back.

All in all its been fantastic, done a few mods to suit my pysique and some small repairs, had my first trial in it at the weekend where it absolutely wiped the floor (against Modified specials, LR and Suzuki's).

One minor niggle is the Cv boot retention, it has great steering lock and good articulation, but when using either tie wraps, steel wraps or jubilee clips the boots pop off the outer end (the jubilee clips screw hits the wishbone bolts and screws and then tears the boot).

So, does anybody know of a slimline but effective method of retaining CV boots (a strong tie wrap type of thing)?

Cheers

Freelander does have CV boots, EPC shows these 2 'circlips'

TDL100190 -- large diameter -- outer

&

TDL100240 -- small diameter -- inner

haven't got a clue if these will be any good, but would be worth a look at some at your nearest main stealers. :rolleyes:

hth :i-m_so_happy:

I had this problem with my Honda quad. One CV had lost it's gaiter circlip and, every time I went round a corner the gaiter would come off and stay off. I mended it with a cable tie and, you guessed it, it came off straight away. I replaced the cable tie with locking wire - the type you might use to hold your main bearing shells on or somesuch - once around, twisted tightly and it was just fine thereafter.

Chris

Mikalor clamps ?

@ Demon tweeks

My local hydraulic place sells zinc coated steel ones pretty cheap too.

no too big Andy

the freelanders come with a slimline clip which is only a few mm

there for the shocks don't hit it a rip them off.

the tool that is needed is about £75 is I never got one but bearmach found one for me..

I have often used wire on CV boots too. You don't need any fancy tools, just a pair of pliers. It is better to use a wire that isn't too thin or it could cut into the boot. I have often used the uninsulated copper wire stripped from some 'twin and earth' household ring main wire. Put a loop round the CV, cross the ends over, grab with a pair of pliers close to the CV pull and twist. With copper wire, you will only get a couple of twists before the wire snaps at the twist, so don't go mad. Put two loops on each CV in place of a normal CV clip.

If you are having problems with the boots pulling off the CVs due to tight cornering, degrease the lip of the CV and boot and fit in place with a smear of RTV sealant before doing the wire ties. Once cured, the RTV will act as a glue to help hold the boot on.

Regards,

Diff

I'm wiht Chris on this one.

Bind it with either wire or string/twine. Either will be much stronger, lower profile and longer lasting than tie-wraps.

Si

Trust me I have done a few CV's on my two rally freelanders as they have eight of them on each car and GP their £520 a pair...... :o

The clips that they come with are perfect if the gaters are not held solid the grease will come out and destroy the CV in a mater of a few miles. Which can be very expensive

I can't find a pic of them on the web....

Its the same as the clips used on water hoses but there one use.

Thanks for the reponses...

Its the same as the clips used on water hoses but there one use.

Jules is this the type of thing? Using these?

Bind it with either wire or string/twine. Either will be much stronger, lower profile and longer lasting than tie-wraps

I have tried using a tool and wire that is used for closing sacks (potatoes etc) but the wire's were not long enough, I could give another try using a more suitable wire I suppose.

Thanks for the reponses...

Jules is this the type of thing? Using these?

I have tried using a tool and wire that is used for closing sacks (potatoes etc) but the wire's were not long enough, I could give another try using a more suitable wire I suppose.

Thats the kiddy

There cheap as well

Roger

These were used originally

IMGP1435.jpg

and if they are put on tight enough they don't come off.

Can't remember where I got them though - think they were ThermoTec but not shown on Demon Tweeks now!