Restoring my 90... What was I thinking

Cat_J

Was taking the gearbox and engine out today. Got the gearbox out and decided to remove the gearbox x-member. Got all the bolts out but the thing wouldn't budge, so out came the lump hammer. 5 Minutes of smashing and it finally fell off revealing 2 large patches of rust.

post-8612-094158200 1285024225_thumb.jpg

One has a hole that I'm sure will get much larger with cleaning and both sides seem to be very thin on metal. I'm now thinking its time to move to a galvanised chassis but I just wondered if anyone thought this was worth fixing. Tbh the more cleaning I do the more I just want to throw it away and buy a new one.

If you can afford the money and time then do it!

And if you can't - patch it well, and waxoil the interior.

A patched chassis isn't as strong as a new chassis, but a well patched chassis is damn close, and a hell of a lot better than a rotten one.

G.

Thats not uncommon to find Jethro, I've often had to let in sections there on defenders when removing x-member to do clutch changes. If you want me to pop over and have a look I'd be happy to .

Whats the tally so far then? Bulkhead outrigger(s) ? + this , anything else?

cheers

Steveb

O/S Bulkhead outrigger plus I'm sure this will need replacing on both sides as the other side sounds like paper when you hit it. My guess would be the whole section would have to be cut out and replaced. I don't see how patching could work there as the x-member has to fit back in.

I'm back at work after my 2 weeks holiday now anywho so got a bit of time to think about it but the more I do the more I think of all the hassle a new galv chassis will save now and in the future. Plus I do like shiny things... What do you think repair cost would be? My biggest fear is doing all this and finding a hole in 2 years.

Cheers Steve, as I'm back at work so I'm only around Sundays and Mondays now but if I decided its worth fixing I'll give you a shout.

Thats good to hear. I don't need to get the VIN attached to the new chassis is anyway then? I talked to designa chassis and they want £1.10 a mile for delivery, so that £180+ for me. No way I thought. Any idea what Richards charge? Paddocks sell marslands chassis which look very good on their site and when you put it in the basket it charges you £5 delivery. I thought it can't be right but if its the case then sold...

I will have to get it delivered to the farm where the barn is, as I have no way of getting it their otherwise :rolleyes:

I'm actually getting excited at the idea of spending £1200 on a chassis, then I can just paint it and bolt everything on. Good old meccano *cough* I mean defender.

I'm going to keep it until its a pile of rust on my drive. I would never have started rebuilding it if I ever thought I was going to sell it after as its just not worth it for the amount of work involved. Its kinda way over my original budget for the project but no point in coming this far and doing half a job. Bulkhead is having new footwells welded in which are sitting in my house waiting for me to do something about it. Got to strip it all down first. I'm not sure about galvanising it as I've heard all the horror stories. I know I can brace it but still, a good rub down, some etch primer good paint and good maintainance should see it through. Then again I could change my mind after its been stripped and got its new panels.

Marsland charged me £60 for delivery on my chassis.

It turned up in the back of a long merc sprinter with just the driver though, so getting it out was "fun".

You will still need to tell the DVLA that you've fitted a new chassis, as its classed as a rebuilt vehicle. You wont have a problem if you've got all the paperwork, as far as i can tell it gets a cursory inspection at your local DVLA office and thats about it. I've not got to that stage with mine yet though, so i cant be sure!

Well mine has not tax or ticket so I would have to rebuild it, mot it, tax it (obviously both with insurance) then drive it up to the DVLA to say look, its still the same car then.

£60 sounds like a good delivery price. I can have a couple of us and an engine crane there to get it out so that shouldn't be a problem.