bobtailin 2 dr?

ELVIS

Yeah gods 1 weekend - I doubt it

I did mine yonks ago, roof is a PITA as it is tapered, and tehn the probs around fuel tanks etc

Just allow pently of time, I would say 2 - 3 weekends work minimum

This is for I call a 2Proper" Bobtail, NOT a pickup conversion (which is easier), but a true bobtail IMHO is a RR with the full roof etc, just shortrened at the rear, still with a full roof, top and bottom tailgates etc etc and a load more work than the pickup conv

Nige

Took me about a weeks worth of evenings to completely hash mine up :lol:

But... mine is a pick up, so I didn't have to worry about the roof which has got to be a major issue.

Fuel tank I have just bolted down in the rear tub. It's a bit high and I do have plans to move it, but it works at the mo. :D

Couple of pics here, but nothing with any detail about the best way to attack it!

Good luck

Dan B)

cheers fellas. only thing i cant find is a site with measurements to get the rear crossmember at the right height - or ideas how to make a jig to get it right. got me own ideas how to set it right first time but just wanted ideas

Sorry no pics - I was paying the welder for the day so had no time for anything but cracking the whip!

We also measured the chassis for the cutting points and used a spirit level to locate two points on the sag curve that were at the same height on the top face and the required distance apart (15" in my case).

When we brought the chassis back to reweld we could then line up the top edges and get stuck in.

Sorry no pics - I was paying the welder for the day so had no time for anything but cracking the whip!

We also measured the chassis for the cutting points and used a spirit level to locate two points on the sag curve that were at the same height on the top face and the required distance apart (15" in my case).

When we brought the chassis back to reweld we could then line up the top edges and get stuck in.

think i know what you mean :D guess its a case of get the gas axe out and pray - watch this space.............

Gas axe!

That'll make a mess. Jigsaw for the roof, angle grinder/disc cutter for the chassis and the rest basically unbolts/shears off.

so you dont think an oxy torch is a good idea on an aliminium body then ? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

A stick is what you need!

Decide how much you want to shorten her by and then cut a stick to the same length. As long as you cut every panel to the length of the stick, you can't go wrong!! Well, it worked for me!

couple of suggestions:

Obvious, but strengthen the chassis with plenty of plating once you welded it, especially if you're planning on doing any recovery with a kenetic rope!

Get a cutom tank made - I had one that followed the slope of the rear seat and to the full available width and held about 18 gallons. Made a filler pipe and cap that exited thru the rear three quarter panel.

Roof is hardest as it curves. Find the straighest point and either get someone who can weld ali to do it, or pot rivet it to an overlapping plate, which it what I did. After that I glued aircraft carpet to the roof to keep the noise down.

Sometimes the rear tailgate frame can be in a bit of a mess - worth doing plenty of work on this or get a better one.

it's a lot more work than it looks tho, so allow plenty of time!

If you need more pix, I can probaly dig some out (72 - 2 door model)

Good luck