Engine restorer ??? Any comments.

Hello All, I'm a newbie to the forum and would like to begin by thanking all you guys and girls for sharing your knowledge and expertise so freely. I own a '97 Defender 110 h/top with 188000 miles on the clock. I've since sandblasted, rustproofed and patched the chassis, fitted a new rear crossmember, changed the timing belt and done a full service, including new oil in the diffs, g/box and Xferbox, and soundproofed the interior, all this with the help of your detailed advise.

I would like to know if anyone has used "Engine Restorer" additive as advertised in the LRO magazine? If so I would greatly appreciate feedback or comments of any personal experiences.

Regards

Ivan

Don't bother... if you want to restore your engine, pull it apart and rebuild it.

Absolutely.

If you want to preserve it as long as possible, keep the oil changes short and often, and look at more serious preventative/long term maintainance.

Things like injector cleaning/overhaul are potential jobs that may well have a worthwhile benefit, on the other hand 'If its not broke don't fix it'

Those engine restoring fluids are great :D

However, I would suggest that Terry Chocolate Orange is even better,

1 x for a small 4 pot 2 x for a V8, pop the segments into the oil filler,

the chocolate as it disolves in the oil increases the viscousity, and thus quietens this down,

and you'll know how chocolate is smooth when melted, so hence its great

lubrication properties.

The orange, being slightly acidic "Cleans" the carbon build up off a treat,

or, if you can't get Terry Chocolate Ornage, After 8s (Large packet) also has the

additional side effect of a minty fresh smell from you exhaust - even deceasels :)

HTH

Nige

PS either of the above are seriously as much use as the snake oil products you've asked about :rofl:

Hello All, I'm a newbie to the forum and would like to begin by thanking all you guys and girls for sharing your knowledge and expertise so freely. I own a '97 Defender 110 h/top with 188000 miles on the clock. I've since sandblasted, rustproofed and patched the chassis, fitted a new rear crossmember, changed the timing belt and done a full service, including new oil in the diffs, g/box and Xferbox, and soundproofed the interior, all this with the help of your detailed advise.

I would like to know if anyone has used "Engine Restorer" additive as advertised in the LRO magazine? If so I would greatly appreciate feedback or comments of any personal experiences.

Regards

Ivan

if your worried about the engine internal condition then strip/rebuild before fitting, 188,000 is nothing for a 200 or 300tdi engine, mine has nearly 3 times that mileage & still pulls well.

188,000 is nothing for a 200 or 300tdi engine,

That's not a very definitive statement at all. The condition of an engine that has done a lot of miles is totally down to how regularly it has been serviced/maintained in it's past. I have seen an engine that had done 45,00 miles and it was totally buggered - due to the obvious lack of servicing. If your engine appears ok now and you want to preserve it, then you may only need to regularly service it. One of my customers has an old Renault that has done 315,000 miles and the engine is as sweet as ever.

If you buy a vehicle that has a dodgy service history, then putting engine cleaning agents in it can lead to it's destruction.

if your worried about the engine internal condition then strip/rebuild before fitting,

Totally unnecessaey in the majority of cases and may well be overkill.

Keeping an engine in excellent condition and greatly lengthening it's life span is 100% down to servicing it on a regular basis.

Les.

The best thing oil-wise you can do is run synthetic, even if not every change it will remove a lot of the crud that builds up from mineral oil, in fact if it has run mineral oil for it's lifetime you need to treat the first run of synthetic as a flush and change out the filter after no more than 1000KM or so after switching (no need to change all the oil since the crud will collect in the filter) and I'd do the first two changes at 5000KM or so max.