Do sill trims do anything usefull???

cjmt

Hi all,

Just replaced one of the outer sills and have the other one to go. I dont really want to drill holes in my repaired sills if I dont have to given the holes in the original seem to be a prime cause of the holes I found. Does the sill trim actually do anything useful or can it just be left off???

Thanks all,

Charlie

(MOT due in t- 18 days....)

Hi all,

Just replaced one of the outer sills and have the other one to go. I dont really want to drill holes in my repaired sills if I dont have to given the holes in the original seem to be a prime cause of the holes I found. Does the sill trim actually do anything useful or can it just be left off???

Thanks all,

Charlie

(MOT due in t- 18 days....)

I didnt put mine back on after the doing the sills over a year ago now, in fact i think i might even have sold them at a newbury sortout :)

AFAIK they just keep the MoT man from seeing how rotten our sills are ;) - since you are replacing yours then no need. Unless you like the look of them?

AFAIK they just keep the MoT man from seeing how rotten our sills are ;) - since you are replacing yours then no need. Unless you like the look of them?

LOL, very true. Would also stop them looking at my dodgy welding :)

Here's a daft question!

Have you got any front mudguards? Mine are missing.

I suspect the plastic trim + mudguards were originally meant to keep the paint on the sills. As you can see, I too, have bought the T-Shirt on Door sills.

I've put my trim back on... But I've used some serious paint on the Sills... "POR-15" expensive but tough as old boots.

My car passed it's MOT 2 months before the 1st 2 pics were taken. So much for "a safety check."

post-7658-091079800 1288066643_thumb.jpg

post-7658-064193100 1288066651_thumb.jpg

post-7658-018014900 1288066667_thumb.jpg

Here's a daft question!

Have you got any front mudguards? Mine are missing.

I suspect the plastic trim + mudguards were originally meant to keep the paint on the sills. As you can see, I too, have bought the T-Shirt on Door sills.

I've put my trim back on... But I've used some serious paint on the Sills... "POR-15" expensive but tough as old boots.

My car passed it's MOT 2 months before the 1st 2 pics were taken. So much for "a safety check."

Good Lord! It makes you wonder why we bother fixing things if they'll be passed in that state! I should have ignored mine and not pocked holes in the bottom!

Re mud flaps, I havent any front or back, I assume they rotted of with the previous owner. I was wondering about them for the sills. Perhaps I should get some. I have given mine several coats of hammerite and lots of underseal, hopefully that should keep it in good order for a bit.

The vote seems to be no sills, suits me!

Charlie

They are really useful at trapping mud, crud and water and rotting your new sills ;)

Motor looks better without too - a visual lift :ph34r:

Mine were removed within 10mins of ownership.... :D

Exactly what I though too...

Good Lord! It makes you wonder why we bother fixing things if they'll be passed in that state! I should have ignored mine and not pocked holes in the bottom!

Re mud flaps, I havent any front or back, I assume they rotted of with the previous owner. I was wondering about them for the sills. Perhaps I should get some. I have given mine several coats of hammerite and lots of underseal, hopefully that should keep it in good order for a bit.

The vote seems to be no sills, suits me!

Charlie

The more I think about it... fixing the missing front mud guards seems to be a necessary evil !

Time to search for parts online again. Oh, the joy.

• 4 weeks later...

just fitted some rdh engineering weld in sills with tree sliders, so not more rotten sills for me. however, now the plastic trim is gone, there's a big old gap under the door which is surely gonna take the brunt of the carp which gets thrown up and rot out the bottom of the doors pretty quickly? the trims may have trapped mud against the sills and encouraged rot, but now the worm's just gonna be chewing on my doors instead! you can't win......