Fuel economy of different engines in Series.

RobSmith

Hi All,

I am still contemplating what engine to put in my tax exempt LWB Series 3.

A 200Tdi seems to be a good easy installation but I also could install a Volvo petrol lump which I like but might be thirsty.

Our driving will be mostly short runs carting things about the village and towing things around but will get some long trips too.

Can people reply with the miles per gallon they get from their series 3 with different engines?

Rob

Mine's a late 2A, but even a 2 shouldn't differ much to a 3 in economy. Problem is, mine's only a short one so you may decide to ignore this. :lol:

Anyway, I get 27-35mpg out of my 2.25 Diesel. I don't know what a 109 would be like with the 2.25 Diesel, other than end up going a bit slower than an 88 would up some long climbs.

Thanks for the responses.

What I am thinking is that I would like to have the 2.3 litre turbocharged volvo engine which would provide lots of grunt and also reasonably economical if driven sensibly and be quite fun to drive.

Then comes the problem of the gearbox strength and halfshafts, its tax exempt status, cost and effort. It is fairly easy for me to get the engine installed but I am not realy wanting to change the gearbox and other things to make it reliable.

Then from my first idea I start to think of lowering the amount of grunt the volvo lump produces so maybe go for normally aspirated or low pressure turbocharging the smaller 2.0 litre lump.

Then I have low performance and low fuel economy so I might as well go for a 200Tdi setup like everyone else and get reasonable fuel economy.

Hmmmm..... still have not figured out which way to go.

More fuel efficiency figures would help. I did not realise the 2.25 petrol was such a thirsty beast.

Rob

200 tdi with the turbo.

Probably do better than the volvo petrol.

A few have done this and I have not heard anything about a 'box failing.

You could also fit a lt77, or r380 'box as well as the motor, if its a 88 then you'll need a deffy 'box as the bellhousing is shorter on the deffy than the disco, and with the lt77 and r380 being 100mm longer you'll have to shorten the prop shaft or move the motor/box forwrads, if you shorten the shaft you'll need wide angle uj's, if you tried to fit a disco 'box to an 88 I think you'd have problems with the 'box and bellhousing the two flanges would be well close.

I get close to 30mpg out of my 1970 SWB V8 with classic range rover axles and standard S3 gearbox with overdrive unit fitted. For the few miles less mpg I would rather have the V8 power on tap. I get less MPG out of my 2.25 standard 1972 series 3.

robert

30mpg with the V8.

That is not too bad either.

Is that with carbs or fuel injection? / or anything to make the V8 more efficient?

Rob

I'm reckoning on it being a typo.

I was a bit surprised and why I am asking about any engine changes / fuel injection etc.

I suppose it could be achievable if it is set up nicely / driven sensibly etc.

The V8 is not on my list of engine options as I think it is an excessivly big engine whirling around at the front of a geabox full of low ratios. I can imagine it would be good if you use your landrover for near vertical hills but around here is not required. Around here they build small mounds to put the trig points on to have sight lines over the hedges it is that flat.

One reason for liking the volvo turbo setup is it can run fairly economically off-turbo but then can burp out lots of power if you ask it to. That makes it useful for me as most of the time it would be pootling about but occasionally might be asked to tow something big and heavy on the trailer.

Rob

I reckon it must be - I had a carbed V8 in my series for a while and it did 12 -14 mpg.

Took it out in the end and put the 200tdi in cos I just couldnt live with the fuel consumption! My 200 has had the boost wound up and the fuel pump fiddled with and is just as quick as the V8, but at more than twice the MPG.

On a good long run on the motorway at an average of 55mph I get about 38mpg.

Jon

I reckon it must be - I had a carbed V8 in my series for a while and it did 12 -14 mpg.

Took it out in the end and put the 200tdi in cos I just couldnt live with the fuel consumption! My 200 has had the boost wound up and the fuel pump fiddled with and is just as quick as the V8, but at more than twice the MPG.

On a good long run on the motorway at an average of 55mph I get about 38mpg.

Jon

55mph. Is that the sort of speed it likes to sit at on a motorway?

Does it have an overdrive or is that just the standard box?

Rob

PS..... my replies are being approved by a moderator each time which takes a few hours or upto about a day so my replies get all out of sequence.

Rob

55mph. Is that the sort of speed it likes to sit at on a motorway?

Does it have an overdrive or is that just the standard box?

Rob

PS..... my replies are being approved by a moderator each time which takes a few hours or upto about a day so my replies get all out of sequence.

Rob

LT77 with a disco LT230, 4.75 diffs and 33" tyres.

Its happy at 55-60 but by about 70 odd, bearing in mind I dont bother with wheel balancing it shakes itself to pieces!

Jon

That's why the 2.25 is coming out of my Series! Frightening MPG.

Is it? Don't forget it's a design that exceeds 50 years now in age. For it's time I think it was more than economical enough. :ph34r:

My 2.25 Petrol (when it was fitted), returned 18-22mpg normally.

Is it? Don't forget it's a design that exceeds 50 years now in age. For it's time I think it was more than economical enough. :ph34r:

My 2.25 Petrol (when it was fitted), returned 18-22mpg normally.

18-22mpg.

I am not wanting to drop below about 25-28 when driven normally. That is my reason for umming and arring about the Volvo lump. I should think it would do 25mpg ok but if a 200Tdi does 30+mpg then I could maybe put up with the noise and dissapointment of not doing something interesting.

It is half past Tuesday so I will have more of a think later.

Rob