Plumbed in Fire-extinguishers

MogLite

Following on from a post in the getting out there forum

Got me thinking a plumbed in extinguisher would be a good idea.

Just a basic mechanical one, with two nozzles, one pointing at the fuel pumps and tank, the other at the EFI system.

Any reason why this on ebay isn't a good deal/idea.

Its Afff to Blue Book regs.

Do not get a converted hand held it does not comply.

Fully plumbed came in this year so there may still be some offers out there.

Halon is banned and a criminal offence to use it, check regs before buying.

The plumbed in one on ebay is Lifeline Zero 2000 which is an AFFF (aqueous film forming foam) specially formulated for motorsport, better at putting out petrol and oil fires than some AFFF's.

In our comp-safari racer we have a 2 litre AFFF to comply with the blue book, a 2kg Halon for putting fires out (illegal or not, its the best thing ever, and it's gonna have to be released in to the atmosphere at some time, the cylinder will rust away eventually, so why not for a good reason?)

We also have a plumbed in zero 360 which is a halon replacement called FE36 by Dupont and cost £1000.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lifeline-360-motorsp...1QQcmdZViewItem

We had a small engine fire at Manby which was getting bigger, we set off the zero 360 plumbed in one and it didnt put it out properly and it flared up again, so we then used the Halon, one small squirt and it was out.

Cost us £450 + vat to refill the plumbed in one, and ebay came up trumps for the 2kg halon.

Nick... the smelly one

Following on from a post in the getting out there forum

Got me thinking a plumbed in extinguisher would be a good idea.

Just a basic mechanical one, with two nozzles, one pointing at the fuel pumps and tank, the other at the EFI system.

Any reason why this on ebay isn't a good deal/idea.

Andy

Get the biggest plumbed in system you can afford/fit and get a hand held aswell,if you have ever used/seen one go off they dont last to long maybe 5-8 seconds max.

Chris

What about CO2?

Although I've not tried that on fuel, it seems to work pretty well on most of the kinds of fires that appear around me!

Anything else gets a cold cup of tea or diet coke (usually have one or the other to hand) - but I don't think these would be all that good for plumbing in.

Si