Usefull bits from 2x V8 RRC's

Maverik

I have recently aquired 2 deralict, 5 door V8 range rover classics, they where used as spares vehicles for a bobtail RRC offroader. One has had its engine and auto box removed and some doors missing, the other is fairly complete. Both have been outside exposed to the elements for a few years and I'm told the V8 thats still in has blown head gaskets amongst other problems now.

I'm looking at getting them scrapped but before I do, I'd like to strip anything usable out of them before they go.

I own a LR90 so more interested in the bits I can use on that, not exactly familliar with RRC's so any advice would be welcome.

Mav

The engine wiring looms will get you a couple of quid, if they are EFI.

Transfer box will fit, but may be different (BW or LT230) and a higher ratio than yours, 1.2:1.

All the bulbs, all the fuses.

ABS system can be worth a few quid.

Steering boxes.

Front props -I think. (unless it has a BW transfer box)

There's more, I am sure.

Headlinings if they are not of the saggy variety.

Leather interiors

Top tailagates if not rotten.

Weigh in the alloys unless you can sell them for more than £10 each.

Autobox will sell.

Steering wheels if leather covered - Defender owners like to pretend to be more up market that they really are!! ;):P

Auto dimming rear view mirrors

Wing mirrors (fit Discos too)

Id say axles and drive lines are worth more than scrap, and definitely worth keeping, or selling off individually as these will sell reasonably fast. The rest of the vehicles take a longer time to sell as and when people want them. but if you have the space to hang onto them for a while can be worth a few more quid than scrap!

Last time i took some RRC alloys to the scrappers i got 11 quid a rim! But then again ive seen people selling and GETTING 100quid for a set of 4! I guess its all on if someone wants the parts and if you have time to hang onto them to get the best prices!

Here's a few pictures...

This one is the rough one...

post-20087-059983700 1289297480_thumb.jpg

this is the better one and still pretty "water tight"

post-20087-091763200 1289297535_thumb.jpg

post-20087-071705700 1289297581_thumb.jpg

post-20087-087713900 1289297606_thumb.jpg

There is no need for scrapping straight away, hence my notion of stripping them first. The one problem is I am in the back of beyond in aberdeenshire everyone drives defenders around here not exactly a need for a non sagging roof liner... :(

I'd bet Nige will have the dizzy off the one with the knackered engine.

Trim and whatnot (if in good nick) will sell on eBay, as do the corner lights as they always get bashed off-road. ECU's may be worth something, likewise air suspension if it's young enough.

Headlight washer pump makes a damn good upgrade for your windscreen washer. Relays & fuses always handy to have to hand.

If you're the tinkering sort there's loads of stuff you can use for other silliness / projects in on and around your 90. Where's SimonR when you need him? :lol:

I'd bet Nige will have the dizzy off the one with the knackered engine.

Trim and whatnot (if in good nick) will sell on eBay, as do the corner lights as they always get bashed off-road. ECU's may be worth something, likewise air suspension if it's young enough.

Headlight washer pump makes a damn good upgrade for your windscreen washer. Relays & fuses always handy to have to hand.

If you're the tinkering sort there's loads of stuff you can use for other silliness / projects in on and around your 90. Where's SimonR when you need him? :lol:

Already done the washer upgrade, got a water coolent top off one of them too, just need a controller for it... The more I look the more suprised I am at how much is transferable to the defenders, specialy small interior bits, they are physically huge vehicles though, they have enough electrics to rival a modern car. The sad thing is, from looking at the chassis, they both look is not bad nick.

The interior is very good on the blue one, with some salvagable on the brown one.

Access under them is a bit tight due to undergrowth, still working on that one.