SIIA isuzu engine

idfa555

hey all, my name is faid.

for the past couple of years i've been rebuilding my old landy to the point that it is now actually close to being drivable again. for me it is a priceless project since its been in the family for over 30 years so i have taken it slow and doing it the best i can.

it is a coil sprung series IIA with rangie diffs, nothing too crazy. its also mechanically sound except for the little fact that it is missing an engine+gearbox+transfer case.

i intend to use the rig mostly for off roading and getting to some gnarly places but sadly it will also see some highway use.

after running some numbers the 2.8 4jb1t+isuzu 5 speed gearbox and transfer case seem the more sensible option.

my question is: can you actually fit the isuzu engine+gearbox combo into a series without any major drama?

i know this conversion has been done a trillion times but i often hear it done on rangies, disco and defenders, and the times its been done on series 88" the 4jb1t is usually hooked up to the the series gearbox (which somehow doesn't seem a very reliable idea to me).

some people tell me im going to have prop shaft issues because the isuzu box is too long but i've figured you can't trust all you hear, so i would like to know some other opinions.

thanks in advanced.

a couple of pics:

3.jpg

2.jpg

as you can see there is something missing

1.jpg

I think the rear diff on an isuzu is centred, which gives a problem with your axle setup, because it is offset. This will give large propshaft angles, especially with the lift. If you look on ebay, you will however regularly find isuzu engines complete with a landrover gearbox, already converted.

daan

Anything's possible, you're right the Series box is not really designed for the grunt of the 2.8, ultimately a Defender 5-speed + LT230 plus adapter plate for the Isuzu might be the best fit.

First off though you need to wave the tape measure around to work out if the combo will fit in, give you reasonable front & rear prop lengths, offset in line with the diffs, plus where the various levers appear in the cab.

For reference, the 2.8 + adapter + lt77 + lt230 will fit quite happily in an 88" and with a bit of love will spin 40" boggers :P

It'd be useful to know what the drive setup is - 2x4/4x4 locked seems most likely in which case it matches the Series setup perfectly, free-wheeling hubs being common (if largely pointless) options on Series & a lot of jap stuff. It doesn't really matter though, despite what most people think you can run the Series with full-time 4x4 (open centre diff a-la LT230) without adverse affects.

thanks all for sharing.

after rechecking around im hearing that isuzu2.8+lt77(or r380)+lt230 might be still too long unless i get either of the two with a short bell housing. if anyone knows if this is true or not would be great. the only real problem with this set up is that its a lot more expensive since people over here (costa rica) think their landys are luxury cars... :P jap/usa stuff is way cheaper.

yesterday i found out of a 2.8 power stroke from and busted ford ranger which is lying around in one of my friends garage. 2.8 power stroke+adapter+lt77(or 380) + lt230 would also be nice.

ive heard both awesome and crappy reviews about that engine although im not sure how it measures up to a 2.8 isuzu (especially regarding reliability). if anyone else knows anything about the subject would be helpful.

cheers.

I have done 5 isuzu engine to series gearbox conversions and yes one of my customers managed to kill his box after 3 years, these were road vehicles with nothing more aggressive than 31" tyres.

I have also done 4 conversions to short bell housing (early 90) lt 77 gearoxes one of which went into a series.

I have done one to a long bell housing lt77 and moved the engine forward appropriately.

my off roader uses a isuzu coupled to an auto box.

I have sen a 110 running an isuzu engine and box.

the 3.1 isuzu transfer box has a drive flange output rather than slide in coupling, this would be ideal for conversion to a x eng hand brake.

• 2 months later...

Well, 2 months of going around the country looking for land rover bits and i got a some bad news.

First of all, the Powerstroke is the same as TGV so it is boltable but right now im not even considering it because the spares for the engine are VERY expensive around here.

Using my tape measure i realized that probably the only box that could fit my rig without too much hassle would be an lt77 from a 200 tdi defender or the ones from the old four bangers since all those

have a very short bellhousing.

The bad news is that you cant find any of those boxes around the country. Land rovers stopped being assembled here in the late 70s and apparently were not imported again until the mid 90s (except for Range Rovers).

Tdi 200/300 and Isuzu 2.8 are quite expensive around town so i might as well just buy the engine and gearbox directly in the UK and ship them home.

If anyone has info or has a Tdi 200/300/ Isuzu 2.8 or an lt77 short bellhousing and is willing to sell it then im all ears.

Cheers.

You might also consider the 4 speed LT95 gearbox - the gearstick should sit in about the right place I think?? as it's further forward than the long bellhousing R380. Easy enough to get the conversion plate if you keep an eye on ebay.

The Isuzu/LT95 is a nice setup, especially if you use tall tyres.

Just a note on the 2.8 4Jb1T - if you can find one from a Vauxhall/Opel Frontera or Isuzu Wizard, they are quite a bit more powerful than the type found in pick-up trucks/Troopers (bigger turbo, two stage injectors)- I've used both types and the difference was huge. A nice big intercooler really helps as well.

Just a note on the 2.8 4Jb1T - if you can find one from a Vauxhall/Opel Frontera or Isuzu Wizard, they are quite a bit more powerful than the type found in pick-up trucks/Troopers (bigger turbo, two stage injectors)- I've used both types and the difference was huge. A nice big intercooler really helps as well.

All of the 4jb1's i have ever seen use the same turbo, even the early 4jg2's use the same IHI rhb5 turbo

All of the 4jb1's i have ever seen use the same turbo, even the early 4jg2's use the same IHI rhb5 turbo

Haven't done a direct comparison of the turbos myself as yet, but I read it on a tech description somewhere - apparantly it is the same turbo used on the 3.1?? Either way, I found the intercooled engine was a different beast fom the 'normal' one, especially with a couple of tweeks. I noticed probably a 40% increase (with TD5 I/C, 3" straight through exhaust, pump tweek and better manifold) - feels like about 135bhp and stacks of torque.

In case it's ever useful to anyone, I noted that a couple of bits from the trooper style engine are useful for a conversion - the oil filter housing is a much better fit, and also the bunch of bananas inlet manifold sits lower down and seems to offer better airflow than the one on the frontera.

I've found a 200 tdi in a goop shape and im considering it for the transplant but I have a question:

does the 200 tdi have the same torque and HP output as the 300 tdi?

i have read different sources claiming they both do while other state that the 200 tdi has 146LbFt @ 1800 RPM and 300tdi 195 LBFt @ 1800RPM.

Any illuminating comments would be appreciated.

apparently in unmodified form the 200 and 300 have similar power and similar torque the 200 tdi develops itd torque lower in the rev range though.

Both engines are tunable?

I have been assured that the 300 tdi has far more scope for power improvement without expensive modification than the 200 though.

Given the choice 200/300/izusu I would probably go 300 though The Izusu may be more reliable? in my experiance.

p.s I have see 2 different types of turbo fitted To Izusu I think the Frontera engine Izusu had loads of differences.