Winch bumpers

I have to replace my bumper soon and as I aim to get a winch in the not-too-distant future I thought I might as well get a winch bumper in readiness. Do different winches require different bumpers or are they all standard? I have not decided on a winch yet but it will be one suitable for recovery while off-roading/greenlaning and not one for comping.

If anyone has any recommendations too (bumpers, not winches) I'd be grateful.

Sorry if this has been done before, there's loads on here about winches but not the bumpers it seems!

Thanks

John

You will need a bumper that will accomodate your chosen winch, the attachment bolt locations of different winch makes vary between winch manufacturers/winch models.

best to decide on what you want the winch for & which winch you are going to buy then get the appropriate mounting/bumper for that models.

YOu don;t HAVE to have a bumper to mount a winch, you could have a standard bumper, i made my own winch mount as i didn;t want the winch stuck out in front of the truck, or sat too low so as you can see, my winch sits on top of the bumper.....

P1000076.jpg

Or, something like the bikini mount that Goodwinch offer is quite similar, but the winch sits in fornt of the grill....

http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/ then go 'bumpers and fitting kits, then bikini mount

YOu don;t HAVE to have a bumper to mount a winch, you could have a standard bumper, i made my own winch mount as i didn;t want the winch stuck out in front of the truck, or sat too low so as you can see, my winch sits on top of the bumper.....

P1000076.jpg

Or, something like the bikini mount that Goodwinch offer is quite similar, but the winch sits in fornt of the grill....

http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/ then go 'bumpers and fitting kits, then bikini mount

Does your mount just use the bumper mounting bolts? the goodwinch also goes back to the tie down/JATE ring bolt.

Well, imagine if you will the plate that the winch sits on, this goes over the front crossmember, and has a piece of angle welded to the underside of it where it meets the front of the front cross member, there are than 2 12mm bolts through the cross memeber and the angle to effectively hold the rear of the tray down, on mine, the two front bolts on the winch actually go through the bumper aswell, i have used it for some pretty serious pulls and it hasn't budged at-all!

For deciding upon your winch I have been thinking about getting one to do the same level of work in the next 6 months or so and am probably going to go down either a Goodwinch Goldfish as I have head very good things about them or the new champion one here http://www.mm-4x4.com/c9500-hs-champion-winch---6-hp-motor---excellent-high-speed-performance-3744-p.asp

I think something around 9500 and 5hp will do well and the key to me is for it to be waterproof as sitting out there on the front all exposed coupled with my liking for fords isnt the best setup :L

Cheers

Ryck

I use that 9000lbs on my challenge truck along with the 12000lbs mm also sell.

fully water proof, pull like a train. If you want to get unstuck and move heavy loads, got for the 12000 as it just laughs at at, if you want a little more speed the 9000 is spot on, always pulled me out, but you can hear it slow down under heavy loads. but both spot on winches!

I have a first Four 'shadow' one. Really like it. Not got a winch yet, but it will take Goodwinch TDS, Superwinch or Warn lowline winches :). If it doesnt fit a winch then just drill a new hole? :unsure:

Careful, I thought Warn lowline winches had an offset fairlead....? I know I had to modify the southdown bumper on my truck when I fitted a Goodwinch TDS, originally it had a Warn X9 in it (I think, maybe best to check with Bishbosh if you go that route)

It is of course, just a case of cutting the slot out a bit, re-welding a bit of it back in, and plugging a bolt hole, but would be better if it fitted, wouldn't it ;)

Pete300Tdi90, thanks for the offer but I'd like a brand new one to be honest and as I'm looking to get a winch too I may hold off and get a package deal.

Landroversforever, I have been looking at those Shadow bumpers recently as First Four do some good packages so pleased to hear you are happy with it.