MOT Failed

Hi All,

I failed my first MOT after my rebuild. Nothing massive, but apparently I have put the fog light on the wrong side?!?

I am confused by this as the wire for the fog light is on the same branch of the loom as the wire for the left hand indicator! Therefore how could the fog be on the right??

Have I routed the loom incorrectly all the way from the front bulkhead? The wiring for the back does go along the right hand chassis rail right?

Does anyone have anything which might help? I am looking at taking all of the electrics out of the back all over again!

a pic to clarify my words(!):

ChassisLoom.jpg

This is what I would do....

Are you sure the fog wire you have picked up on isn't for the towing electrics?

No.... no I'm not at all... very good point.... :) I don't have any free time during daylight for a few days but I'll check it out an report back, thanks for that Mr Bowie

Legislation explained here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/11/made

Basically if you only have one fog light it must be either fitted centrally or to the offside of the vehicle.

Well done by the way on only failing on this! Result :D

Thanks fozug, pretty pleased, I just wish it was something mechanical, NOT electrical! Ihateelectrics.com!

You do need a fog light for the MOT unless it was built before a certain year.

Can't get mine working at the mo :(

Vehicles exempt from Fog Lights

Rear fog lampSchedule 11: Part I

A vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;

A vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 being an agricultural vehicle or a works truck;

A vehicle first used before 1st April 1980;

A vehicle having an overall width which does not exceed 1300 mm

rear fog wire colour code is red/yellow trace, I doubled up my rear fogs & reverse lights on my 110 when I found the relevant wires in each rear corner.

had to grind part of the lower door hinge away to get the 2 RH lights to fit with the existing indicator. [see photo extract below]

post-20-0-50266400-1295458062_thumb.jpg

Adam, you have put the loom in the correct place firstly, and i think you'll find that the looms are used on both left and right hand drive vehicles, so the wiring is also on the drivers side, i have just replaced my loom in my new chassis, all the wiring for the towbar is also on the drivers side, so, you've simply put the lamp on the wrong side of the truck.... move it and the wires will be there to be found!

And whilst you're at it, put the reversing light on the nearside aswell...!

Vehicles exempt from Fog Lights

Rear fog lampSchedule 11: Part I

A vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;

A vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 being an agricultural vehicle or a works truck;

A vehicle first used before 1st April 1980;

A vehicle having an overall width which does not exceed 1300 mm

Q plates don't need them either, according to my tester

Hi chaps taken the wiring out and yes there is the wiring for the fog on both sides! So not too bad.

Does anyone know what colour the wires should be for the reverse light? Whilst not required for the MOT it would be good to sort it. Thanks again all