Paint - what to do

Advice please: My old '88 110 is in the Landy blue of old but is tatty as hell with chips, old removed decals from when it was a plumbers van etc, my thoughts are to hand paint it in the summer to just make it look less tatty.

Mate says Don't as it is a classic Landy colour but I want to do something. - Advice please what have other done?

If I do paint it what should I use (on the cheap so don't say get it done professionally!) My experience of hammerite is it chips off the first time you touch it...!

Paint it with a roller!

I use a 4 inch short pile gloss roller and a 2inch brush for the fiddly bits.

If your paint is quite sound use meduim scotchbrite pads 1st and finish with fine grade pads.

I use synthetic paint from my local car paint supplier, straight from the tin, for a 110 hard top you'll need about 2-3 litres.

When useing the brush, always finish with downward strokes, stops curtains forming.

When you have rubbed down, wipe over with white spirit and a clean cloth, the good thing about synthetic is that it dries quickly and does'nt re act with anything underneath.

All below done with a roller;

SNV30006.jpg

SNV31957.jpg

I did'nt even prime the 90;

SNV31864.jpg

SNV31880.jpg

Picture014.jpg

rambo002.jpg

That's weird Rambo your post wasn't there when I looked before??

All I can say to that hand paint effort is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! When you free to come do mine :P

I will definitely be painting it in the spring if that's the effect you can get, how did you get the shiney effect surly not just from the paint? Assume extra laquer?

Bloody good finish on the green series!

If you wanted to keep the original colour, how about just using some cutting compound and a buffer?

That's what I was going to say - it'd still have the chips but I'd expect the remains of the plumbers signs to come off. It'd end up tidy and honest :) - a good look for a Landy :D

Which place was that James? Just so I don't make the same mistake :lol:

C&C Car Colours in Crawley. Now called JCA Coatings or something similar.

I asked for a pot of coach paint to do my 88" with and they said that it wasn't available as 'no-one paints cars using anything but spraying any more', and gave me a proper dirty look :P

Might have just been one guy who had that view though, as I've had plenty of good service from them when buying consumables like sanding and masking bits. I use them for made-up 2k aerosols too, as if you give them a bell 45 mins beforehand it'll be ready when you go in to pick it up :)

About £15 for a 400ml aerosol, which goes a long way I've found!

C&C Car Colours in Crawley. Now called JCA Coatings or something similar.

I asked for a pot of coach paint to do my 88" with and they said that it wasn't available as 'no-one paints cars using anything but spraying any more', and gave me a proper dirty look :P

Might have just been one guy who had that view though, as I've had plenty of good service from them when buying consumables like sanding and masking bits. I use them for made-up 2k aerosols too, as if you give them a bell 45 mins beforehand it'll be ready when you go in to pick it up :)

About £15 for a 400ml aerosol, which goes a long way I've found!

Yes, I know C&C.

Have used them for aerosols before. Unfortunately their Stratos Blue was no match for what's on my 90 . When I questioned this, their response was that my paint must have faded. The thing is, if I use genuine LR 150ml aerosols, they're a perfect match for what's on my truck :unsure:

Specially pre-faded paint in a can? I doubt it :lol:

I agree,they are fantastic paint jobs...I'd be interested to know what paint you used on the 90 in the fourth picture down,as that's exactly what I want for my 110.I take it that it's olive drab and not nato green.Is it matte as it looks quite a satin type finish?and finally,is there a paint code for it? :rolleyes::)

That's weird Rambo your post wasn't there when I looked before??

All I can say to that hand paint effort is WOW!!!!!!!!!!! When you free to come do mine :P

I will definitely be painting it in the spring if that's the effect you can get, how did you get the shiney effect surly not just from the paint? Assume extra laquer?

Bloody good finish on the green series!

No laquer, deep bronze green gloss finish from local car paint supplier.

I agree,they are fantastic paint jobs...I'd be interested to know what paint you used on the 90 in the fourth picture down,as that's exactly what I want for my 110.I take it that it's olive drab and not nato green.Is it matte as it looks quite a satin type finish?and finally,is there a paint code for it? :rolleyes::)

NATO green, satin finish, I find that if you use NATO green matt finish it marks easy, so I always use satin finish.

Just to add, none of the above were primed!!