eBay Scammer - or Not?????

Steve King

I think you acted wisely. Your post could be interpreted as racial, but only by those who tend to seek prejudice in everything. Glad to see you didn't get done - it would be worth reporting the details to ebay and perhaps to the police fraud squad.

Thanks - at least I seem to have a couple of people who see where I'm coming from! I am far from a racist, however the whole transaction seemed dodgy!

I reported the whole thing to eBay and they have cancelled the transaction and certainly don't seem to have a problem with me and my way of thinking!

I really can't believe the attitude of some of the posters on this thread!

If I buy a car I would like to know who I am dealing with! If I am selling a car equally I would like to know who I'm dealing with!!

ID between a buyer and seller of a car is a two way thing!!! When I contacted the (now losing) bidder to request ID I clearly stated that I would provide evidence of my ID too! Is that so unreasonable??????

You have a duty to tell the DVLA who you sold your vehicle to, without the most basic of checks how can you know??

Well fine, Riz Sauvage, & Hybrid from Hell if you are happy to buy and sell cars to/from A.N.Other with no checks it's up to you!! :P :P :P

I don't ask for ID when selling stuff and they pay by PayPal as that is guaranteed. Cars and paying by cash can be dodgy!!

I clearly did the right thing by rejecting the winning bid and if you know better and wish to sell this guy your Land Rover I will happily provide his contact details!!!!!! :P:) :) :)

Thanks - at least I seem to have a couple of people who see where I'm coming from! I am far from a racist, however the whole transaction seemed dodgy!

I applude your actions, your request for ID and share you view that some of the comments above seem very strange. If I was buying your LR and you asked me for ID I'd whip out my driving license without a thought, as a law abiding citizain I have nothing to hide.

I have been scammed by several people over the years giving me dodgy details and info when selling cars and have had the fines to show for it. I now know how to avoid this and if I thought something was dodgy, as you did, I would ask for the necessary proof to set my mind at rest.

I suspect we are due a tap on the shoulder from a Mod but I differentiate between privacy and secrecy. The nothing to hide, nothing to fear argument would seem to suggest people shouldn't draw their curtains at night. I don't use credit cards or loyalty cards in shops because they could misuse the information. I wont give my name and address to any retailers unless they are delivering. I wont provide any personal information that isn't required by law. I have nothing to hide but plenty I don't chose to share.

I suspect we are due a tap on the shoulder from a Mod but I differentiate between privacy and secrecy. The nothing to hide, nothing to fear argument would seem to suggest people shouldn't draw their curtains at night. I don't use credit cards or loyalty cards in shops because they could misuse the information. I wont give my name and address to any retailers unless they are delivering. I wont provide any personal information that isn't required by law. I have nothing to hide but plenty I don't chose to share.

I made it fairly clear that there is a sensible balance between paranoia over one's privacy and foolish un-necessary over-disclosure. Giving out personal details to those who have no legitimate use for them is inviting trouble, as so many Facebook and Twitter users routinely do. However, showing a driving licence or credit card to the vendor of a second hand car so that they can verify the name they put on the V5 is correct is relevant information and not open to abuse - you're not giving date of birth, passport numbers or account numbers, are you, so what do you think can be done with just your name?

This hysteria includes ANPR cameras, with fears that the authorities will be tracking everyone's car movements for some ulterior motives. What possible use do people think the government can make of the movements of tens of millions of vehicle movements per day, apart from being able reliably enforce speed limits and to track a specific vehicle of interest to police or security services? That doesn't stop the conspiracy theorists, though, who are insistent that it is a government plot to spy on them going about their dull and menial little lives.

I don't see the problem Steve - a transaction between thee and me is just between us!

Personal, private and related to an important transaction i.e selling a car!

Not sure where all the stroppiness came from?

Why would you wish to withhold ID from a buyer or seller?

I certainly would not!!

If Mods are involved in this I wish it to be known that I find certain posts by people who should know better rather questionable.....

I'll get my coat, but there are serious attitude probs here!

One thing that does intrigue me is why the police always ask your age and occupation.

I've had several occasions over the years to report villians and the police always ask my age & occupation, on one occasion they asked me for my mobile number, and seemed very put out when I refused to give it, on the grounds that I never have it switched on.

I would quite happily show my ID to someone if I was buying a car etc! Surely it is common sense to prove who you are before the paperwork is signed... if that wasnt done, then they could give any name and address, use the car for robbery etc, and the poor sod at that address would get the sh!t.

Refusing ID is stupid if you ask me!

I would quite happily show my ID to someone if I was buying a car etc! Surely it is common sense to prove who you are before the paperwork is signed... if that wasnt done, then they could give any name and address, use the car for robbery etc, and the poor sod at that address would get the sh!t.

Refusing ID is stupid if you ask me!

Not if you are a satanic secret agent like me :hysterical:

Lighten up chaps!

You are supposed to ensure the new owner's full information is entered on the V5 before you sign it over. This protects you from their failure to register their ownership and also ensures that the vehicle always has a registered owner. Checking the buyer's ID is not in any way an invasion of privacy.

People who oppose such checks of their information, like the hysteria over the planned ID cards, are either dilusionally self-important (what the hell would anyone, including the authorities, care about you and what you are doing as long as it's legal?) or have something to hide. I won't deal with anyone who wants to hide their details from me. That's not the same as the morons who share all their personal details on the internet and then wonder why their bank account and house are empty - there is a difference between paranoid secrecy over relevant details and foolish self-broadcasting of unnecessary information.

I think you acted wisely. Your post could be interpreted as racial, but only by those who tend to seek prejudice in everything. Glad to see you didn't get done - it would be worth reporting the details to ebay and perhaps to the police fraud squad.

Totally agree too. If it was my car you can show me some ID and buy the car, or don't bother turning up. I don't care if you're paranoid, my gaff my rules. Don't like them? Go away and buy someone else's car.

I'd rather protect myself than risk it because somebody else doesn't want to trust me with their name (which if they are genuine I will almost certainly have through ebay anyway, duh.)

Well it is all done and dusted now. :)

The 300tdi has been sold at slightly less than the anonymous gentleman offered, but that is no big deal as I am anxious to clear the decks ready for the TD5.

The new buyer has no issues with providing ID and is meeting me tomorrow.

Ebay cancelled the transaction for the first buyer and have credited me with the final value fee.

The end :lol: