Powerish Steering

So I just changed my PS pump, then have bleed through about 2 litre's of fluid and it is still not right.

Strangly, when I turn on the engine, it works fine for afew turns, then goes really stiff, could it just be a blockage, the fluid I am using is ATF type F, it's really difficult to get landrover PS fluid here as my local dealer is about 300 kms away, or 30 swedish miles in local speak. Any ideas, more bleeding, wrong fluid...

I've replaced my PAS box and the pump, and occasionally the steering gets stiff either side of centered. Juts looking into it now. when I installed the new box - then pump, I got considerable amounts of air out the bleed screw on the top of the box, I'm just wondering if it needs another bleed just now.

Its worth checking all the steering linkages too, I found that the steering arm protector I have was rubbing on the bar as I had lost a bolt didn't help matters.

* and I use DextronIII/ATF - pretty much the same thing.

@Mav,

How long did it take you to fit the new box ?

just wondered if i should attempt it on an evening or weekend.

I did it in an evening... with a good head torch too! that was the whole lot. the trickyest bit is getting your spanners in to take off/instal the inlet-outlet hpipes on the box. Other than that a straight forward knuckle bashing job.

Thanks. You're right about the pipes. Took me and age turning it a 16th of a trun each time.

Not refiled it yet as i've run out of time today. I hope its all lined up the same. I'm not too sure about this centre the steering / two turns thing.

On the bleeding, been using the bleed screw on the top of the steering box.

if i loosen it off it does bleed allot.

Done it with the wheels off the ground, then on the ground, all the linkages are ok, they are not the best state, but they are perfectly good for a good few years to come.

will try again at middday, hopefully it will be "warmer"

I did just change the fan belt, but this is at the right tension.

Thanks. Box is 50% fitted. All i need to do now is re-fill so thanks for the tips.

Western,,,am i to presume lock to lock is 4 turns ? since it says do 2 to centre. I've followed the instruction it just seems like a bit hap hazzard but thats just my initial feelings. No mention in making sure the new box is centred to go with the centred steering wheel. Mine did seem to be centred BTW.

if you follow the book it will be centred correctly. 3.375 steering wheel turns from full left lock to full right lock.

your drop arm might have 2 tags on the rear face & the steering box might have a hole in the rear of the case for a centreing pin, [i used a suitable old screwdriver] I centred the box by hand after bleeding it with engine running, pinned it at centre, temp connected the steering colum UJ & rechecked my centre as per the book, it was correct :D

Ok, just spent an hour outside with it, did some bleeding on the pump side by loosening off the input pipe on the PS pump, then dropped the steering arm off and did some more bleeding on the steering box end.

Still no joy!, so pretty sure I have a bit of something in the pipe, as when it sits for a while, you can turn the motor on and it will work for a few turns then it just goes hard again, reckon something is working it's way to the steering box as it's a new pump and the flud runs to the pump fine.

Am I right to asume that the fluid goes from the tank to the PS pump, then to the steering box, then back to the tank. If this is the case, I would asume that the bleed nipple is after the steering box, right.

if so, would it still bleed out the top of the steering box, if the blockage is between the pump and the box!

Ok, just spent an hour outside with it, did some bleeding on the pump side by loosening off the input pipe on the PS pump, then dropped the steering arm off and did some more bleeding on the steering box end.

Still no joy!, so pretty sure I have a bit of something in the pipe, as when it sits for a while, you can turn the motor on and it will work for a few turns then it just goes hard again, reckon something is working it's way to the steering box as it's a new pump and the flud runs to the pump fine.

Am I right to asume that the fluid goes from the tank to the PS pump, then to the steering box, then back to the tank. If this is the case, I would asume that the bleed nipple is after the steering box, right.

if so, would it still bleed out the top of the steering box, if the blockage is between the pump and the box!

does your Defender have the older metal PAS fluid tank or the newer plastic ZF style tank?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, getting back to this, I have taken all all the pipes out and the fluid pot, and checked them for any blockages, they are all good? Oh, the fluid if Dex3

Gave it a good bleeding again, left / right, dive a bit, left/right again. It's still odd as when it has been sat for a while, and I start it up, it works great for a good few turns then just gets stiff again.

It's a new pump, the box is about 3 years old.

Can anyone think of a reason, is there any parts in the pump or box that can become loose and block the fluid

i had a similer problem with a new pump (britpart) i sent the pump back and got another , same thing happend it was good for a couple of turns then stiff , i bled the system god knows how many times, then borrowed a known working pump and it bled up in seconds and worked fine.

turned out i had 2 new (britpart) pumps that were not working, i had spent ages checking everything to do with the steering & was told the chances of having 2 failed pumps was nil and i was doing somthing wrong or somthing else was fobared.

Ok, so the pump I have got is a Britpart pump from Rimmer brothers, I can remember asking where it was from when ordering and them telling me it was Britpart, alarm bells did ring but I thought I should try...

It is the only thing that has changed on the system, I think I might just have to get another one as it's with a new pump or a new box!

I had a Britpart PAS pump fail on me after 10 months (4,700 miles). It was a swine to bleed when I first installed it, and used to have the odd time when it would groan when turning under load (ie. slow speed manoeuvring), up until it spat all the fluid out the front seal :(

New one (supplied FOC under warranty) was a Bearmach one (actually manufactured by Power Steering Services, who have the rights to produce certain Hobourn-Eaton (OEM) pumps). Time will tell how well it does of course, but this one bled up in about two seconds, I was very impressed :)

I have a feeling that since Hobourn-Eaton no longer make these pumps (having sold manufacturing rights to PSS as above), if you ordered a Genuine pump from Land Rover then you would receive a unit manufactured by PSS and not Hobourn-Eaton. Unless of course LR are holding large amounts of old stock, which I find unlikely.

On the subject of supply - I bought an OEM one from LRseries and it turned up in a Britpart box, I rang them as it was actually the 2nd pump they had sent as the first was a mistaken wrong part. the answer I got was that it was a genuine OEM part but just came through Britpart, i was a bit sceptical about this but i had a good look at the pump before it went on and the quality looked looked the same as the genuine part I took off in the first place. I seem to have got a minor intemittent stiff area on the steering but I put it down to stiff joints.

I spent half the day on a farm yesterday - laying in cow s--t :rtfm: yesterday looking at a disco with symptoms the same as yours pretty-much. The steering felt fine, then it would go hard (seems to fight against you?). I replaced the pump with a known good one - no difference. Disconnected the hubs from the steering to check for binding, etc - both fine. Checked steering link rod and all was fine there as well. Problem is now definitely the bias valves in the steering box, so new box tomorrow.

Les.

Yep, I want to avoid taking the plunge on a new steering box as I am pretty surprised that a box could fail after afew years?

So I think I will try a new pump from Bearmarch first, then move onto the box. It is odd why it works fine for a little while then just stops, it feels like something just moves and stops the fluid flowing.

If it is the bias valves then is there a why to have a look at them / service them? I have a workshop manuel and can remember seeing in it something exactly like this (how to service the power steering box) or something, am I correct?