Car Transportation

It depends, as ever.....

Are you going to tow it on a trailer, or get someone else to transport it for you? To hire a 3.5T trailer for a weekend (I use a firm in Devizes) costs me approximately £100. It has to be drivable though as they supply a flatbed which doesn't have a winch. (Or make your own winching arrangements).

Cheers

Peter

P.S. I have now given up hiring trailers as I have just bought myself a 14' 3.5T twin axle flatbed!

If you have insurance, arrange an MOT test with your local garage and drive it there, not need for MOT or tax...

I think you'd struggle to find any copper that would understand that longa journey based on an mot booking...........

Trailer is the only way....

It's one of those laws/rules where it's not clean cut :(

Technically it's not illegal, although it would be genuinely interesting to see how one would stand up in court using it as a way to transport a vehicle. If anyone knows of any cases that have set a precedent I would be interested to see.

I have checked in the past with my insurers, they agreed with me, both companies.

Now, rather than hearsay:

http://www.direct.go...hicle/DG_069671

Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This is also for vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

http://dvlaguide.co....le_to_mot_test/

Driving Untaxed Vehicle to MOT Test

Can I Drive an Untaxed Vehicle to an MOT Test?

The short answer is yes but there are rules. You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station if you have insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a prearranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

The mentioned 'rules' are not stopping in Tesco's to do your weekly shop, significant diversion from routes etc, common sense stuff.

I've also asked a local ex-traffic officer in the past who agrees with the above.

Not sure there's more I can really say about it :unsure:

so in short, if the address in nottingham that the op wants to take his truck to is an mot station its fine, . . . What are the chances?

Paying for an MOT would be cheaper than hiring a trailer, legal and convenient, and as the truck is without MOT it will need a test regardless, retests are often free or a smaller charge at the discretion of the AE, so in effect it would cos you nothing/very little.

The OP stated 'It has no MoT so it needs to be transported.', I was firstly correcting this, and in doing so offering him another, almost certainly cheaper, option of getting his truck to where he wants it.

Paying for an MOT would be cheaper than hiring a trailer, legal and convenient, and as the truck is without MOT it will need a test regardless, retests are often free or a smaller charge at the discretion of the AE, so in effect it would cos you nothing/very little.

The OP stated 'It has no MoT so it needs to be transported.', I was firstly correcting this, and in doing so offering him another, almost certainly cheaper, option of getting his truck to where he wants it.

You are of course assuming the OP's 110 is in fact MOTable, and has no significant defects to the brakes or steering...