Rear spare wheel

matrix1688

As long as it doesn't obstruct rearward visibility too much then it's pretty much anything goes with the rear door, but since Land Rover did it themselves I'd just use their parts to do so. That's got to be the easiest way.

Make sure the hinges are in good nick and tight, otherwise the weight of the spare might cause the door to drop and no longer close properly.

Dont forget to also fit the support wedge and bracket at the catch end.

I found that adding an extra hinge helped a lot with the extra weight. The door was starting to sag on it's hinges when open with only two hinges. I added an extra one between the tub and the top of the door bottom section and it helps a lot.

I found that adding an extra hinge helped a lot with the extra weight. The door was starting to sag on it's hinges when open with only two hinges. I added an extra one between the tub and the top of the door bottom section and it helps a lot.

Good idea, thankyou, i will look out for one, checked the door and it has the dove tail wedge and bracket :D

The collection of plugged holes in the lower part of your existing door are where a wheel carrier was previously fitted and would be the normal position. You may find in that position the wheel fouls the hitch, but if you adjust the stop nuts (the first set of wheel nuts you fit to each stud that stops the wheel sliding towards the door), you might get it all to fit in the standard place. The other option would be to raise the mount above the horizontal bar in the door frame, so it would be just over its own plate width higher, but then the top edge of the carrier wouldn't be braced by the frame, so you'd need to modify the frame with new sections of box section or angle.

Just an FYI.

I took it off the backdoor as the doorframe was cracked in multiple places (quite a common problem)and I've fitted a tyre carrier..

What type did you use? I'm planning on doing the same, but my door opens downwards, because it's a sof-top.

Box of bits arrived all good and all there but after some mesuring and testing the origonal holes on my back door are to low, the tyre will foul on the drop ball hitch so the door wouldent close and the tyre will hit the bumperet and the door won't open fully, so i am going to put a plate over the origonal holes to hide the mass of bolts and fix the holder to the pannel above.

I am pleased with the find £21.55 of Ebay nice and it's the one with bolt holes around the edge to go through the frame.

100_4123.jpg

100_4124.jpg