130 Roof Rack Loadings

Chriso

Dear Forum,

The mountain rescue team of which I am a member has declared to defra that it is prepared to travel out of area (North wales) to assist national flooding events.

Our logistical challenge is to get 7 team members, their water PPE and rescue kit to the incident. Currently we have two 130 station wagon defender TD5s which are fitted with roof racks. The question is can we deploy in one vehicle, and leave the other in the valley for "core business?"

I am asking this forum with;

Help to deturmine the unladen weight of the roof rack. We also put all manor of things up there including a spare wheel, signage, light bars and spot lamps. Am I correct in thinking that we could be very close to the 75kg max before anything goes up there?

Also, I am guessing that as LR did not make this body configuration that there will be no kerb weight? If I assume the GVW for a 130 and take away the kerb weight (as measured on a weigh bridge) that would be a realistic payload?

Thanks in anticipation

Chris.

post-4364-0-20712100-1298025717_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

From the picture I'd say you have Brownchurch roofracks, and have the option of added support bars front and read. These (I presume) allow a greater weight than specified in the owners manual to be carried up top by putting some of the load on the body cappings (rear) and windscreen hinge (front). It may be worth an email or phonecall to My Brownchurch to see what the weight and recommended load capacity for their roofracks is.

Brownchurch Roofracks

Hope this helps

Dan

I would recommend that you considered a trailer for your additional bits it will give you the extra space requirement you need whilst keeping you safe, a Landy fully loaded with people can get a bit "jumpy" in sharp corners etc, adding a load of gear to the roof will only add to that. You can pick up a decent Sankey trailer for <£250 which will allow you to load it with up to 3/4 of a ton of gear which should be enough for most operations.

Jason.

I would recommend that you considered a trailer for your additional bits it will give you the extra space requirement you need whilst keeping you safe, a Landy fully loaded with people can get a bit "jumpy" in sharp corners etc, adding a load of gear to the roof will only add to that. You can pick up a decent Sankey trailer for <£250 which will allow you to load it with up to 3/4 of a ton of gear which should be enough for most operations.

Jason.

Thanks Jason for the thought. I should have said that the issue of a trailer has been investigated, but is containdicated with ambulance status, blue lights and insurance.

Best wishes

Chris.

7 people , are they all in fore /aft facing seating with lap and diagonal seat belts in view of blues and twos operation? The roof rack loading on the current landrovers is advertised as 150kg including roof rack for 90 and 110 does not mention AFAIK 130 . You have a gvw of 3500kg and axle load limits of 1580kg front and 2200kg rear to consider as well . I would think you will be running very close to all these limits and exceeding by any amount is a definate nono in view of what you are engaged in . Starting at 7 persons you have approx 560kg in bodies . You have mentioned a good point to start . weighbridge fill with fuel. and weigh front and rear axle . Then start weighing kit and passengers . You may shock yourself .

Another option to consider is to mount a roof rack directly onto a roll cage, this way you get the benifits of a roll cage with a really heavy duty rack, much stronger then any stand alone rack.

Downside this would be pretty bespoke, and there are only afew proffesional outfitters that would do it. Anyhow, just a thought

Thanks Jason for the thought. I should have said that the issue of a trailer has been investigated, but is containdicated with ambulance status, blue lights and insurance.

Best wishes

Chris.

Why does flood response require blue lights and ambulance status? Floods don't happen that quickly.

Lots of people seem to think that Landrovers are the only suitable transport for rescue teams but rescue is mainly about manpower and Landrovers are carp as people carriers.

Your best bet is to come to some sort of arrangement with a local minibus hire company - get them to sponsor you by providing a vehicle for the (rare) occasions when you need to move a lot of people.

Nick (also a rescue team member)

Thanks for the replies.

I think that a trip to the weigh bridge is in order for us. Some initial calcs on the roofrack have shown it is at capacity (75kg) before loading. Brownchurch have confirmed that the rack is 40kg on leaving the factory.

Jason - I agree that LRs make poor people carriers. The next vehicle may be a minibus as you suggest.

Best wishes

Chris.

Thanks for the replies.

I think that a trip to the weigh bridge is in order for us. Some initial calcs on the roofrack have shown it is at capacity (75kg) before loading. Brownchurch have confirmed that the rack is 40kg on leaving the factory.

Jason - I agree that LRs make poor people carriers. The next vehicle may be a minibus as you suggest.

Best wishes

Chris.

Chriso,

Just so you're clear - the max ROOF loading according to Land Rover on a Defender is 75kg - if you're in Europe. RoW vehicles have a max loading of 150kg (although I can't see why as the vehicle is the same!) - So that's 75kg on the roof, less the 40kg of the rack leaves you with a usable roof payload of 35kg. I would think that you're spare wheel would put you over that already...

Matt

Chriso,

Just so you're clear - the max ROOF loading according to Land Rover on a Defender is 75kg - if you're in Europe. RoW vehicles have a max loading of 150kg (although I can't see why as the vehicle is the same!) - So that's 75kg on the roof, less the 40kg of the rack leaves you with a usable roof payload of 35kg. I would think that you're spare wheel would put you over that already...

Matt

i have found not putting more than 75kg dosen't work i've got an old sweb roof rack and that is 50kg before putting any thing on it so 4 235/85/16 wheel and tyres and rack it may be over 150kg

Chriso,

Matt

extract from Defender owners handbook, ------------ Note is clearly states 'roof rack load' NOT roof load

post-20-0-50318700-1298212122_thumb.jpg

extract from Defender owners handbook, ------------ Note is clearly states 'roof rack load' NOT roof load

Dear Western,

thank you for taking the time and trouble to scan and post the Defender hand book page. That should be the definitive answer, however, I do think that there is a degree of ambiguity in the LR literature. I have the Defender: A Land Rover Guide publication (fresh form the dealer) and it states;

"...maximum of 75 kg including the roof rack."

It goes on,

"...being the lightest racks, have the greatest weight carrying capability within the 75 kg recommendation."

Thanks too to other respondees, I appreciate your trouble,

Best wishes

Chris.