Additional fuel tank for 110CSW

I'm considering adding an auxiliary diesel fuel tank to my 110 CSW and I'm asking for installation recommendations and specially advice on a transfer pump to allow tank to tank transfers. Any comments and experiences will be very much appreciated. Many thanks, in advance.

Mike

Mike,

For the last 2 years I have been using ref 67312 from VEHICLE WIRING PRODUCTS at http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/hoses/fuelpumps.php.

My installation is on a 90 300TDi. I fitted an auxiliary tank under the back (where the TD5 tank goes, and connected it to one side of a fabricated a 'Y' shaped filler neck. It is then easy to fill either the auxiliary tank or the main tank by angling the fuel delivery nozzle down one branch of the filler neck or the other.

The auxiliary transfer pump pumps into the main tank branch of the filler neck. If the main tank overfills while transfer pumping, the excess simply overflows down the other branch of filler neck, back into the auxiliary tank, so there is no chance of an overspill.

The transfer pump has worked faultlessly since fitted. One precaution I have taken is to transfer fuel quite frequently so that if the transfer pump should fail, the main tank is pretty much full, to maximise range. I do, however, also have a manual squeeze type fuel transfer tube in case the transfer pump fails a long way from a fuel station.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Richard

The auxiliary transfer pump pumps into the main tank branch of the filler neck. If the main tank overfills while transfer pumping, the excess simply overflows down the other branch of filler neck, back into the auxiliary tank, so there is no chance of an overspill.

Richard, I currently have the same setup on my 90 :D however I am not too happy with the Y piece set-up as fuel regularly transfers itself when out greenlaning. At one spot on a particularly steep rock all the fuel drained out of the main tank into the rear and stalled my engine! I had to transfer fuel back into the main to get it moving.

For this reason I am going to fit a seperate filler/breather as I think it is best.

Use a wing tank. Gravity feeds into main tank so no need for pumps.

Brendan

for a 110 this has to be the simplest and cheapest way of achieving extra capacity.

G

I have a CSW 110 it is a V8 so needs quite a big supply :lol: I have the normal csw rear tank, I have also fitted the aux tank under RH/R wing , you remove the normal filler tube and fit tank it is level with the normal tank and you fill in the normal place after refitting a shortened filler tube. There is a bottom balance pipe so you basically just increase the capacity of your main tank by 45or so litres. The normal fuel guage reads the level of both tanks as one. This set up requires no fuel trans pumping.

I have also fitted a ex mil landrover top fill tank under the drivers seat (UK RH steering) this has a facet fuel pump and pumps to rear tank . These pumps are very reliable, (and are as fitted to cessna aircraft) , there is no guage on this tank as I just fill it so know that it is full . I wait untill there is enough room in rear tank and then pump full tank contents at one go (it does not take very long) and the noise of pump racing tells you when job is done. I did have another custom made tank fitted under second row seats with filler made from standard landrover series parts , this was T into pipe from underseat tank with gate valve , so that once underseat tank was empty you could open gate valve and either pump or let gravity feed to rear tank ( not very quick but quick enough to be more than engine was using and failsafe, as was gravity flow, but pump has never packed up in 20years :) HTSH

Richard, I currently have the same setup on my 90 :D however I am not too happy with the Y piece set-up as fuel regularly transfers itself when out greenlaning. At one spot on a particularly steep rock all the fuel drained out of the main tank into the rear and stalled my engine! I had to transfer fuel back into the main to get it moving.

For this reason I am going to fit a seperate filler/breather as I think it is best.

for a 110 this has to be the simplest and cheapest way of achieving extra capacity.

G

I have the same set up on my 90 and did it for a drive around Australia. I have never had a problem

I think you may need to get yours check as there is something wrong if you one is doing that

Ali

Hi Ali,

I dont think there is anything wrong with it, for general driving around it is fine even up hills.

When it drained I was on a severe rock ledge and had to get winched back off it.

Im still going to seperate them as I think it will be better.

G

Thank you, everybody, for your replies. As usual, your responses have given rise to more questions :unsure:. Please bear with me, as I don't want to reinvent ....... etc!

Leeds, what exactly do you mean by a "wing tank", (Post #5)? Is it the same as Richard Allen has (Post #4)?

Tacr2man, is the bottom balance pipe between your tanks safe from impact by high ground? I assume you had to cut a new entry into the original tank, where, or did you just join the outlets via the supply line to the engine?

Mike

The balance pipe at bottom is protected by a guard that is supplied, travelled some pretty extreme terrain (double diff locks needed) and nothing has come near hitting it . No tanks were harmed during the fitting of this item , seriously no extra mods to main tank , pumped supply enters thru T in return line to tank which afaik all csw tanks have either Carb or diesel (no 110csw efi ever made IIRC) HTSH

Hi, I have this additional tank on my 110, it works great, never hit the balance pipe on anything.

I used a braided stainless steel pipe between the two tanks, and threaded it up over the anti roll bar mounting.

Also have tanks under the left and right doors, on on the left is for water, one on the right is for fuel, I use a pump on a separate switch to pump from the side tank to the main tank, this way I can separate the fluids (if need be, or if you want veg oil in the other tank etc etc, gives you the option) Worked fine for me, also had this system on my old puma 90

post-4517-0-02561400-1298310576_thumb.jpg

Hi, All, many thanks for all your replies and experiences. It looks as if I'll be making a cardboard model tank, and then getting my friend (they can be bought for a few folding beer tokens) to use his magic "stick-steel-to-steel machine" to transmute cardboard into steel, so that I end up with a non-leaking diesel fuel tank.

Since I'm never shy of asking silly questions (already proven) has anybody considered/done an additional fuel tank in the space between the wheel "arches" in a 110? This space is about 36" x 34" x 8" (too much junk in there to measure accurately), but it could give an added capacity of ~ 160 litres, i.e. 20 litres per inch of tank height/lost storage height. Of course, the full 8" need not be utilised, but it's an area that could very well be used for this purpose, depending on other space demands. Also, after looking at commercial sites offering auxiliary tanks (₤300+) and the relatively complex shapes used to maximise volume,a simple flat sided tank suddenly appears very attractive :blink:!

Any thoughts or comments from the bigger brain, please?

Mike