Warn 8274 making it faster

quedge

single motor 8274 in my eyes doesn't cut it in comps. I ran a single xp last year (howling wolf) and although it did most things i was double lining a lot and was left wanting. not massively impressed with 8274s now with any combination of twin housing /24volt etc. so going hydraulic

single motor 8274 in my eyes doesn't cut it in comps. I ran a single xp last year (howling wolf) and although it did most things i was double lining a lot and was left wanting. not massively impressed with 8274s now with any combination of twin housing /24volt etc. so going hydraulic

whats your budget? obviously more than most.

working on the sort of budget I my self are on and I suspect most other avarage competitors are on I get a choice if I save hard this year on either a freespool or twin top. And thats assuming you don't break or major roll it.

Having just done round 1 lrs with gary on a single xp motor at no point did the motor fail us in what we asked of it and in some circumstances the motor out performed those running twin tops. The thing that slowed us down was having to spool out.

freespool is the single best improvement i made to my 8274s. no more snagging, no button to hold whilst the codriver gets the rope out, makes you quicker about the park. it does limit the codrivers recovery time though.

there is not alot a winchman can do about bunching on the drum ;)

there is and although it takes time it can save overall - Stop, tie off the truck, resort the rope and proceed.

nor can he stop the rope from burrying it's self in the drum, ;)

he can by not taking out more rope than is required so it ALWAYS goes on the drum under tension

The main issue people seem to have with winches I have noticed, from watching a few challenge events, is that of the rope reversing it's direction suddenly while powering out. I assume this is caused by bunching of the rope on the drum, it certainly annoys the co-drivers I've witnessed it happen to!

Free-spool will help avoid this in theory, and I mean ~100% free-spools like those on the Saley winches and the Delta-Tek 8274 freespool, as these allow the co-driver to provide all the (little) force required to unwind the rope. It can still snag if it's well bunched, but he won't be pulled back toward the car by the winch when it does. He'll just have to give it a harder tug to release it.

The only way to avoid it is as above, by ensuring the rope always goes on under tension, however I can see why this will be very difficult in a competition scenario. If you're doing a normal self-recovery, then you sit steady and let the winch do the work for the most part, but in the events I've seen people are drive-assisting with great vigour (fair enough as they're working against the clock after all!). The issue comes when they find grip and shoot forwards, at which point even the fastest winch can't keep up and the rope goes slack. I've seen people drive forward right over their winch ropes, which isn't particularly good practice in itself!

I've no idea how it can be solved really, as above I've only spectated these events and never competed, but if you could keep tension on the rope it would help I'm sure :)

The issue comes when they find grip and shoot forwards, at which point even the fastest winch can't keep up and the rope goes slack. I've seen people drive forward right over their winch ropes, which isn't particularly good practice in itself!

i believe a good driver, codriver or more importantly communication between them plus a freespool overcomes all this

Having just done my first challenge on a modified 8274 (XP MOTOR, GP MAINSHAFT) coming from doing challenges with a goodwinch TDS 9.5 I have no issues with the speed winching in under load its just the paying out the rope which takes the time.

If the freespool of the 8274 was the same as the TDS this conversation wouldn't be happening!

I will be investing in a delta tek freespool this year for sure!

Time and energy well saved and money well spent for comp use!

Biggest time saver i have also found for challenges is an elastic net on the bonnet to store excess rope until required again this also prevents you from spooling rope on winch not under load and will thus prevent bunching or rope getting snagged.

Delta - tech you wont go wrong with.

and its nothing like the TDS freespool this one is effortless the TDS ones require a fair bit of pull still.

the bonnet net becomes redundant with freespool to some extent. still a good idea but you wont use it half as much.

not that keen on bonnet nets

your rope can get knotted if your not carful and if it falls out or you catch the rope on a bank as you pull through thats alot of rope that is suddenly going round moving parts. Best bet is to store the hook on hoops by the doors. always acceable and it's usually around the right amount thats left out after a pull

single motor 8274 in my eyes doesn't cut it in comps.

So, Nick & James with a single motor 8274 with DeltaTek freespool getting 1st in class and 2nd overall in Howlin' Wolf isn't good enough eh? ;)

They were only beaten by a Saley winch (which are first class IMHO even if a bit Hydraulic ;))

It's more down to the co driver & driver - but it shows that you don't NEED twin motor to win!

Si

Delta tech isn't only way to get air free spool on an 8274.

Mocha has made a system which uses a pneumatic ram to move the standard free-spool lever. Needs a few little finishing touches but works a treat just testing it out. I should think he may well do a write up when its finished, but at the moment is has cost him less than £50 (including the compressor) although we did use some parts that were "lying around" :P

And if it/the compressor/air lines break then its really to unbolt and just put the normal handle on :)

I haven't had a problem with my free spool MrHT. If i had then i wouldn't have bothered making a system for it! Delta tek or the GP equivalent are obviously going to be better, i don't deny that, but mine has cost me less than 10% of the price of the alternatives.

If it doesn't work in comps as it is currently testing then i haven't lost anything as normal manual operation isn't an issue, it just means Sutty has to work harder! just thought it was worth a try!

Mocha

We came 3rd in class 3 last year and yeah the single Mott is ok and does alright , it's not good enough in my opinion for some sections on a 90, a lot of trucks running 24v single winch butmount it in the middle so they can winch back or forward etc, we don't run free spool and don't tend to snag up too often but depends on the section ,

Only thing I'd say if maybe the zap in power spooling out over free spool , the thing with powering out when it get stuck and pulls back in thats usually frees it up as it's pulled back out , i suppose pros and cons to both but I'd say line manage plays a small part we find putting it on scruffy works,

As for saving time you talking to a team that stops for lunch lol