OT: Myford Lathe, how much is it worth?

minivin

Got a Myford lathe last week, finally found out that it's a " Type M 3 1/2" "Myford Lathe with metric and imperial cutting speed capabilities (lots of gears), anyone know how much it's worth before I spill how much I got it for? 1ph motor and rest of drive are out of site as I still need to fit them

DSCF2239.jpg

DSCF2240.jpg

just a little ;)

oh yeah, includes 2BA, 3BA-7BA die heads (bit like a chuck in that the die is in four pieces and goes into a holder), imperial thread chasers, another bed modified to do milling when mounted on the bed, face plate and a hole load of cutting tools a gears.

anyone else willing to value it???

oh I'll come clean, £80 and he was open to offers, I turned around and said "no, your getting what you think it's worth as it's definately worth that!" :)

now just to wire it in and get busy turning :i-m_so_happy:

Crikey, with all the extra's you got a cracking deal, nice one :i-m_so_happy:

£80 is a good deal. It is quite old though. I think you would get anything between £150 and £250 for it. For £300, I would expect something like an ML7 and for £500, a super 7, more if it has the screw-cuting gearbox.

I really need to chop in my Super 7 and buy a colchester or boxford (just a bit bigger) - but I rather like the Myford and don't want to part with it!

Si

Aiy, I'm happy with it, I was looking for a Colchester Bantam for the extra capacity, unfortunately price was always an issue so when this one turned up it pretty much fills the niche that I need :)

For the money you've paid you cannot go wrong, .....

.......and if you wnat to go better later on you'll see a decent profit.

Has the bloke got anything else to give away for sale :lol: ?

Nige

he did have a pillar drill, but he told me to keep my fingers off of it :D

I bought a Myford 7 from a factory sale last year , paid £100 for it as a job lot with a pillar drill ,

Only problem is the lathe is on a 3 phase motor and need to swap the motor for a single phase motor .

I guess machine mart is my best bet.

Will I need to change the oil pump aswell.??

I would go with about £150 - £200 at the most on the M-type.

I bought a Myford 7 from a factory sale last year , paid £100 for it as a job lot with a pillar drill ,

Only problem is the lathe is on a 3 phase motor and need to swap the motor for a single phase motor .

I guess machine mart is my best bet.

Will I need to change the oil pump aswell.??

Why not use an inverter instead? You can then keep the 3phase motor (smoother) and get the speed infinatly variable at the same time. Also means you won't have to change the coolant pump motor.

Have a look here: www.homeworkshop.org.uk It is a free calssifieds for model engineering stuff, but there is usually a guy selling second hand inverters for quite sensible money. I bought one off him to run my milling machine, and it works a treat.

Cheers

Mark