Hydraulic setup saley questions

markyb

Decided to go Hydraulic later this year and been reading about as not had much experience using hydraulic.

Im at a cross roads with winches. I spend a bunch of money and buy twin housing etc or go Hydraulic.

So decided its hydraulic. so got some questions some silly but need to ask

Winch - Saley

Be great if some users of Hydraulic winches (saley) respond please if possible

I don`t mind spending the right money to have a reliable , working setup.

Whats the best pump to use

Belt or chain driven? ( wont go PTO) (300tdi defender)

What size tank do I need and where is the best location?

Will it need a cooler

Do i need to bleed the system

How often do you replace the oil service the winch

Presume tank is water proof etc

How many connection go to the tank , pump and motor.

is there a preferred pipe type to purchase makes etc

What control options are about in the form of remotes etc

Do people leave there chain in place all the time as seems most have a dog clutch

What about over rev on the pump can this be controlled.

What sort of range does it work from, IE engine running at 1000rpm will the engine revs need to be increased to 2000 rpm for the winch to preform etc. or will pulling power increase as it goes through a rev range.

Has anyone got a good setup they have pics etc, pipe lengths , tank sizes.

anything to watch out for , misuse , damage that can be occurred if not warned etc.

think thats about it for now.

thanks alot for responses as said not had experience in hydraulic before on my own offroader.

ps 8274 with giggle pin bits for sale soon :-)

Hi Mark. I have currently just made this same decision. I would advise you pm saley for a phone number and give him a ring as he's a helpful chap.

I am going for a 30cc pump (which saley has supplied at a excellent price) driven of the crank pulley via a tiny propshaft (saley can supply this as well), there will be a dog clutch in there as well :).

He can supply custom tanks, levers (with or without solenoids so that you can have a remote/external winch controls as well) and pretty much anything else you need for your set up.

I think compared to the equivlant electric winch they are preety much fit and forget and due to the nature of a how a hydraulic winch works are pretty much water proof as well. chayten

Decided to go Hydraulic later this year and been reading about as not had much experience using hydraulic.

Im at a cross roads with winches. I spend a bunch of money and buy twin housing etc or go Hydraulic.

So decided its hydraulic. so got some questions some silly but need to ask

Winch - Saley Good choice

Be great if some users of Hydraulic winches (saley) respond please if possible I run milemarkers, but same theory

I don`t mind spending the right money to have a reliable , working setup.

Whats the best pump to use I run either a 31 or 33cc pump

Belt or chain driven? ( wont go PTO) (300tdi defender) I'm on crank driven (in front of the engine, rear mounted rad. Using dog clutch thats actuated by an air ram

What size tank do I need and where is the best location? Mine is about 18 litres

Will it need a cooler Not sure, i don't run one...But then again, i don't have a temperature gauge in my current setup :lol:

Do i need to bleed the system No. It pumps in one port and out the other. Once you've pulled a lever for long enough for the winch to basically move the pipes will be full of oil.

How often do you replace the oil service the winch Erm....difficult one, how often do you service a challenge truck engine ?

Presume tank is water proof etc Without trying to be cheeky here, if there's a hole in it - it's not waterproof :lol: It'll have a filler cap of sorts which will be your easiest place to put a breather. Route this out of wading waters way

How many connection go to the tank , pump and motor. Suction and return. Both should be at the lowest point. If your return is at the top, the oil will aerate etc (spelling ?)

is there a preferred pipe type to purchase makes etc 1/2" will be fine for your lines. My suction line to the pump is 3/4. But find something flexible ! At work we use parker and it's really nice. Our local place here use megaflex which is also nice to work with. Another local tractor place use pipe which you need a gorilla to bend !

What control options are about in the form of remotes etc You need a spool bank for the levers. Some of these can have solenoids added to them so you an either operate by manually pulling the lever or pressing a 12v button. Dont only have 12v in my opinion, having a lever means you can feather the winch in/out slowly.

When you order your spool bank, make sure you explain what you want it to do. I've had them in the past where it vented the winch back to the tank when you let go of the lever

Do people leave there chain in place all the time as seems most have a dog clutch Clutch

What about over rev on the pump can this be controlled. Your right foot ! If you're going chain, then you could fanny about with pulley ratios etc.

What sort of range does it work from, IE engine running at 1000rpm will the engine revs need to be increased to 2000 rpm for the winch to preform etc. or will pulling power increase as it goes through a rev range. Higher rev = higher flow = more motor speed

Has anyone got a good setup they have pics etc, pipe lengths , tank sizes.To be honest, if i were you and had no pipes. I'd mount everything where it's going (tank, pump, winches, filter etc) and then get the pipes made. They're not cheap, so measure twice make once ! Also, when making hydraulic pipes avoid putting a swaged elbow on each end unless you're confident - they don't bend and it can make life hard. Stick to an elbow on one end, straight on the other, then use a swivel elbow that screws into whatever you're connecting

My setup is all bsp thread, which i think is probably the most common here in the UK ??? Maybe someone else can comment on that. But the other thread style used a fair bit is JIC (i.e. -AN). Choose one and stick to it, don't start mixing n matching cos you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot !

anything to watch out for , misuse , damage that can be occurred if not warned etc. If reversing rotation of the pump, remember to flip the high pressure seals around.

You should put a filter of sorts.

You'll need an overcentre valve for each winch. This is your brake. Trust me, it's not nice when hanging on the end of the rope, you push the lever to spool out and the winch drops you down a long way because your OCV is wrong !

Keep your plumbing simple.

Get a pair of air rams on each winch, then at the flick of a switch you can choose between High - Free - Low range. Very handy :)

think thats about it for now.

thanks alot for responses as said not had experience in hydraulic before on my own offroader.

ps 8274 with giggle pin bits for sale soon :-)

Hope that helps :)

Ruuman do u run his set up? Mark and I are buying the complete kit wonder if we coul look at yours? Were in surrey also

Hi Ruuman is my winch bitch he runs a milemarker with pto

Im in Croydon and have a saley front and milemarker type r on the back chain driven pump via a dog clutch to a 30cc motor if you want to look no problem call me on 07860 894482 v890 jon

some more questions.

what output does the saley/hydraulic winches need, i noticed a 33cc pump can produce 220Bar ?

anyone running eletric hydro pumps?

Using an electric motor to drive the hydro pump that in turn drives the hydro winch defeats about all the advantages of the hydro system, it still puts a huge strain on your batteries and because you have one more energy-transfer in the system, efficiency will suffer as well.

I often think but dont know the answer to,

Could/would an electric powered pump be enough just to get you out of the s*** if you ever lost the engine or main pump for any reason ?

Yes, if the engine blows a electric pump should be ok just to get you out of trouble, some thing like a tipper pump,

Carl.

we are just building a new truck and looking for a hydraulic set up. we have a 26 liter pump from a self propeled sprayer will this be a bit big to run with a saley winch. also were runing hydraulic steering front and rear and would like to run it all off one pump.

Also can some one tell me the differance between open and closed center hydraulic's please

we are just building a new truck and looking for a hydraulic set up. we have a 26 liter pump from a self propeled sprayer will this be a bit big to run with a saley winch. also were runing hydraulic steering front and rear and would like to run it all off one pump.

Also can some one tell me the differance between open and closed center hydraulic's please

I think the difference is with the valve. In the centre position (assuming a 3 way with in/out and 'other') the valve either lets the fluid through, or locks the line in the middle position. Obviously with a winch you don't want it unravelling when you take the power off.

• 2 weeks later...