Plastic outer wing panels

I've got some fitted, got them from Paddocks. correct shape and dimensions, but I had to elongate all the bolt holes as they where drilled about 5 mm out, not difficult, juts annoying.

They look good on the vehicle, not got them painted yet but run them this past 5 months without paint and they're pretty tough. they feel a good thinkness too.

At last someone who has used them.

Strange that you are in Aberdeenshire, are you near me by any chance ?

Love the Tomcat Mike looks real good but I see you have sold or are selling it.

Regards

Frax ;)

I've got some fitted, got them from Paddocks. correct shape and dimensions, but I had to elongate all the bolt holes as they where drilled about 5 mm out, not difficult, juts annoying.

They look good on the vehicle, not got them painted yet but run them this past 5 months without paint and they're pretty tough. they feel a good thinkness too.

I presume the elongated holes are hidden (I've never fitted a wing skin). Also do you think when they are painted they will look just like the alloy ones?

Just one more (maybe) do you think the wing as a whole is as strong as with an alloy skin (can you still stand on the wing)?

Thanks

Tod

I presume the elongated holes are hidden (I've never fitted a wing skin). Also do you think when they are painted they will look just like the alloy ones?

Just one more (maybe) do you think the wing as a whole is as strong as with an alloy skin (can you still stand on the wing)?

Thanks

Tod

Have a good poke about your wings and the skins, they can be a total ball ache to remove, I think I found a wee youtube video of a guy doing it. its just very tight thats all getting a spanner type device to one side of the bolts... - aye the holes are on the inside of the wings like a flange fitting.

The wings look the part, I'd say just as robust if not better, not had any problems with the strength of the wings been compromised either. I also can't see that painting them would be a problem, just as long as you use the right primer. I lot less prone to those small dints and dings.

Have a good poke about your wings and the skins, they can be a total ball ache to remove, I think I found a wee youtube video of a guy doing it. its just very tight thats all getting a spanner type device to one side of the bolts... - aye the holes are on the inside of the wings like a flange fitting.

The wings look the part, I'd say just as robust if not better, not had any problems with the strength of the wings been compromised either. I also can't see that painting them would be a problem, just as long as you use the right primer. I lot less prone to those small dints and dings.

Thanks very much for the info - these now go on the (very long) wish-list:)

But can you still stand on the top to put things on the roof? :P

I've got cheqer plate covering them, also the wing type with a inner support strut... don;t know if thats common or not? but yeah you can jump up and down on them and not noticed any adverse effects... :ph34r:

hi i just fitted 2 last week and they look great as said before the holes need a bit of ajustment but apart from that every thing looks wise is the same. as for my old wings i just cut them off with a angle grinder and cuttind disc this only took 5 mins and lets you see where all the bolts are. the indicators need a hole drilled for the wire as there is no indication as to where the flasher goes. i got mine from mm4x4 they were around 70 quid delivered.

To bad they dont make more body parts out of plastic(ABS), like door skins and rear tubs?

I rebuilt a 1973 AMC CJ5, the whole body was fiberglass. Strong and easy to repair. AND it dont rust or corrode.

Perhaps thats why they wont do it? :unsure:

I will do but it could be a while as I am in the middle of a rebuild and at the moment I am at the strip down stage, I am also trying to buy bits as I go along.

Frax

;)

No worries - hope it goes well :D

• 2 months later...

I think I've got myself a 110 CSW from 1997 with an almost unseen low mileage. If nothing goes wrong, I'll pick it up on Monday. :)

It's had a little battering in the corners due to an old driver and one of the front outer fenders might be too hard to get back into shape. Paddock sell these made in ABS plastic which seems to be a good idea since they spring back instead of being crushed. Within reason... Maybe that's why many modern euroboxes have plastic fenders too. Does anyone here have any experience of these? Do they look OK. Do they at all fit? Should I buy? ;)

my mate got a C reg 110 pick up with 1600km on the clock a couple of months ago that is almost unseen :)

he since quadroupled the mileage.

be careful who made them, if they are britpart i would personally stay clear, however t

ive not had any experience of these wings.