Wheel Bearings - When to Grease?

Whats the normal interval for re-greasing wheel bearings ? No wading involved. Normal road and track driving. Caps all stayed on. Grease is slightly brown which i presume is dirt ingress. Done 6500 miles since replaced them all with Timkin. Should i strip and clean/replace the lubes.

Also i know swivel grease is (meant to be) for life but really what should i be doing with that ?

How many miles, preventative more than corrective, cost not a problem really as its only time and a few ££. Advice and Opinion Please.

Some greases are light brown anyway, so a bit decieving really, unles you know the original colour of the grease. Water ingress will mix with grease at higher temperatures and make it milky. Replacing the grease is very time consuming, and I don't know of anyone that does it. To do it properly - you woul;d have to remove the hub, remove the rear bearing seal, then wash out the bearings with petrol or similar, then regrease/new seal/reassemble. Unless you are sure that water has contamintaed the grease, then I wouldn't bother. A good quality grease fitted at the outset is much preferable in my opinion - such as JCB blue.

As far as I know, swivel grease is the same (no service change interval), and once again - unless it's been contaminted, then leave well alone. You can flush out the swivel housing and replace the grease, but it's not necessary unless there's good reason.

You are looking for perfection? There's not that many people that go that far, so advice on your question is likely to be a bit limited :)

Les.

I do mine every 6,000 miles or six months. I don't knock the inner out unless the seal has to be changed. I just pus new grease into the bearing. I'm on the same bearings as my Defender came with at 124,000 miles and it's now on 225,000 miles

What does help is a desertspoon of Wynns Charge in your favourite tin of grease.

Thanks both. Already have the Wynns in there Mike...;) (i do listen occasionally)

Not looking for perfection Les just rather not do it in south america in the rain one night on the side of the road.:o

So i might give them a strip and clean during the summer. It won't take long per corner. As you (Les) mention theres not really much point but the external grease is darker brown than when it went in. It was light brown and now dark so its got some contaminates in the outer portion. I'll whip off the flange and take a look inside. If it all looks OK i'll leave it be for now. After all its only a £10 for some grease and a few hours to do all four corners. The swivels are doing OK really and i'm pleased that they aren't leaking at all. I might drain one and re-fill it to see what 12 months looks like. Just for experience sake. Where to get the JCB grease ??? TA.

Any other opinions welcomed. Prevention is better than cure. Thanks both.

• 6 months later...

Finally got round to doing this. Stripped , Cleaned Greased and reassembled in a weekend. I used JCB blue and have since seen its not recomended for wheel bearings but its in there anyhow. Oh well. Theres a couple of posts in some farmer forums and one from a JCB type person. The BLUE is HP and they recommend the BROWN which is EP. Can't see it making much difference myself. At least its Blue so i can see if its contaminated later on. There doesn't seem to be conclusive info one way or the other but Les's advice is good enough for me.

Thanks, it only took me six months.....

Thanks, it only took me six months.....

I notice you said earlier on in the thread you were going to do them in the summer, it's not really your fault that summer didn't arrive this year till last weekend.... sounds like you met your stated schedule ;)

I do mine every 6,000 miles or six months. I don't knock the inner out unless the seal has to be changed. I just pus new grease into the bearing. I'm on the same bearings as my Defender came with at 124,000 miles and it's now on 225,000 miles

What does help is a desertspoon of Wynns Charge in your favourite tin of grease.

every 6000 miles

:blink:

Mike, Isn't that a little OTT ?

Anyway, if you convert to oil lubed bearings you don't have to bother re-greasing, ever :D (and an RTC3511 seal is worth it's weight in gold, even on a greased hub)

I've run Patrol front wheel bearings for 150,000km on Neo Z12 (no longer available) and the bearings were fine, but going that far is not something I'd recommend and it's only achievable with a super grease like Z12 or CV2. (BTW, they are the originals and that vehicle has now done 365,000km)

If intent on using grease, use the best high temp EP grease you can get your hands on.

Look up the specs sheet, you want an NLGI #2 using either a lithium complex or if possible a calcium sulfonate complex thickener.

You want a high drop point (350*F minimum, 500* is much better) and aim for something with a high Timken OK load number, 40lb is adequate, 60lb much better. Neo's old Z12 was rated at 70lb. A high weld load (400kg or higher) and small wear scar are good too.

I'd suspect JC 'blue' is just a general purpose chassis grease, you'd probably want to replace it frequently.