To buy a TD5 or Not!!!

Oberon

Hi all,

I currently drive a ‘04’ plate Freelander, that we have owned for the past two-years, and use it to pull our 1500kg caravan. I have to say that I am surprised by its reliability and pleasure in driving, though she struggles a bit with the van. That’s why my wife and I are looking at a ‘54’ plate Discovery TD5 at our local LR Dealers. It is as good as new with only 48K on the clock. Yet, I am a bit concerned with some of the write ups on a particular towcar website; the last two not being very complimentary at all to the TD5. Can anyone throw any light on this subject?

I used to own a Discovery TDI but I had many problems with transmission rather than engine problems but I understand they were prone to engine failures owing to timing belts. Does the TD5 have this arrangement or is it timing chains? Does anybody else tow with a TD5 and finds it acceptable and that their vehicle is reliable.

I would appreciate any comments or thoughts; cheers in anticipation.

Mike

The TD5 has a timing chain.

Reliability is, well, like many vehicles. They have their problems but then so do my mates 300tdi's, 200tdi's and V8's,,,

Towing they are great vehicles and should cope easily with your caravan. Not sure why a towcar website would suggest anything other :blink:

Fuel economy is going to be way down on your Freelander.

A service history is a must, regular oil changes etc, again liek any other vehicle.

Parts are more widely available for the TD5 now and exhausts, brakes, filters etc are all similarly priced to the 300tdi. There are more and more available in scrap yards as well so sourcing parts is quite easy.

If you do a lot of towing and can justify the extra fuel costs for the rest of the useage I'd say go for it :) If you want to stay with Land Rover of course :P

Our TD5 auto pulls our Bailey Pageant (1400Kg) like a dream. Have had a couple of problems but not nearly enough to put me off. But having said that, there obviously are some bad ones about - inevitable really given the number produced. And of course it's those you hear about. If you listen to what some people say you wouldn't have bought your Freelander.....

Which towcar site was uncomplimentary?

Our TD5 auto pulls our Bailey Pageant (1400Kg) like a dream. Have had a couple of problems but not nearly enough to put me off. But having said that, there obviously are some bad ones about - inevitable really given the number produced. And of course it's those you hear about. If you listen to what some people say you wouldn't have bought your Freelander.....

Which towcar site was uncomplimentary?

Here's the link to the webpage http://www.towcar.eu/ if you complete the information required it should come up with the same reports. It was the last two comments that gave rise to concern. Cheers

Considering "excellent" and 4/5 5/5 scores I wouldn't say the TD5 Discovery comes out badly at all.

You will always get someone who doesn't liek a vehicle for whatever reason, but in this case that reason seems to be purely personal. They might like peanut butter, I hate it :rolleyes: Landroversforever thinks it has wallowy boat like cornering, should try an Isuzu Trooper as that really does handle like a fishing boat in a tsunami :o

My point is it does tow well, it's designed to, and having owned a Freelander I can assure you it will be MUCH better than that (not that the Freelander is bad). If it's a garage how about asking them for a test drive with the caravan on so you can make up your own mind?

Oddly, reading through those reviews on the caravan site I only see a couple of negatives in a sea of positive praise.

I don't tow a caravan with mine, but I do/have towed 3,000kg+ regularily long distance (like 3,000 miles :o ) and can say:

I find that you need ALL the revs to keep progress at 60mph+, which means changing often and keeping it at 3000rpm+, this means 20mpg is common, a chip may solve this.

You need to load the trailer with plenty of nose weight to keep it stable at speed - when we're talking a 40 foot 3,500kg boat trailer.

The brakes etc. have never suffered, but it has blown intercooler hoses a couple of times and the flywheel is complaining.

I don't know if a Landcruiser would have been better, but I can say that the Disco has taken huge quantities of abuse and keeps banging on. I've done non-stop towing for 20 hours, loaded it with the family holiday gear 'till it nearly burst, loaded it with axles, trees, etc. It just keeps going!

our td5 manual with ace and air was an exceptional tow vehicle - especially after being chipped.

with a 1500kg caravan and a fully loaded vehicle, i would regularly look at teh speedo and think 'ooops, slow down i'm doing 80!!!'

it towed normal loads like there was nothing there, its a big heavy stable motor and the tail definitely will not wag the dog when passing hgv's etc, there is more than enough power (with a simple stage 1 remap) to pull any normal caravan up any motorway hill in top gear at 60mph. ACE and air bags is an absolute must have, it makes the ride and towing ability supremely easy and comfortable.

yeah, they have their problems. its a landrover........ but overall you would be very hard pressed to find a better tow vehicle. Just look at what £8k of disco2 is compared to £8K of landcruiser amazon. the landcruiser will be 10 years older and much higher mileage. On a side by side comparison i bet running costs would not be much different, but i think the disco is an easier car to live with day to day.

Nick