Front Bumper Storage

In trying to get some quarts into my pint pot 90, I noticed that the front bumper is in reality a C section girder with all but one side closed off. I was wondering if anyone had made the bumper into one or more lockers by fabricating a flap for the side nearest the bodywork.

If so how did you make it and what securing arrangements did you fit ?

I was thinking of using it for stuff which may not mind briefly getting wet - ropes, shackles, strops, hi-lift adapter, that kind of thing, so it needs to be able to be opened if the bumper is stuck in a ditch or similar.

All help gratefully received

Regards

Richard

I think you will find that the storage space available is too small to warrant the effort it would take to convert it.

If you have an under seat fuel tank I would look at making a locker to sit between the chassis rails at the back where a TD5 tank would sit with an access hatch through the floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember years ago reading an article by Tom Sheppard showing how he had created a storage locker behind the passenger seat in his Ninety. He cut an aperture through the bulkhead behind the seat, that opened into the area below the wheel arch, in front of the rear wheel. He fabricated a small aluminium box that was riveted in place. The resultant locker was able to accommodate a small toolbox.

I borrowed this img from the web just to overlay the lines (black) showing the internal bulkhead line, and (red) approx side profile of the locker. The locker was installed on the passenger side, and accessible by tipping the seat forward - so secure from external attention.

post-7124-0-22304500-1304156202_thumb.jpg

did see one front bumper sealed up, with an A bar to store engine oil, for a oil change on safari, filled at the top of A bar and drain at one side of the bumper. I think it was on an old series , could be used for diesel, frees up space for other things.

Brian

I remember years ago reading an article by Tom Sheppard showing how he had created a storage locker behind the passenger seat in his Ninety. He cut an aperture through the bulkhead behind the seat, that opened into the area below the wheel arch, in front of the rear wheel. He fabricated a small aluminium box that was riveted in place. The resultant locker was able to accommodate a small toolbox.

I borrowed this img from the web just to overlay the lines (black) showing the internal bulkhead line, and (red) approx side profile of the locker. The locker was installed on the passenger side, and accessible by tipping the seat forward - so secure from external attention.

post-7124-0-22304500-1304156202_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pic, on my 90 (300TDi) that is where the filler goes - I put in a Y filler so I could fill the second tank I have put under the back (a plastic TD5 one), so there is not much space left on the driver's side, but there is on the passenger side.

did see one front bumper sealed up, with an A bar to store engine oil, for a oil change on safari, filled at the top of A bar and drain at one side of the bumper. I think it was on an old series , could be used for diesel, frees up space for other things.

Brian

That is an excellent idea - left and right hands of bumper for engine oil, A bar with EP90, one side and MTF on the other.

Regards

Richard

You'd still need a bottle or container of some sort in order to dispense it from the bumper and put it in the car, so I think I'll stick with a few bottles in the back :P

Fit a schroder valve into the bumper, a drain cock somewhere low but not too vulnerable, then 1/2" hose from the drain cock in the bumper to the oil filler in the rocker box, pressurise the bumper with the compressor and squirt the oil in. All a bit much really, but then if I can store fluids on the outside, I can keep more spares on the inside.