2002 style Defender dash panel

Hi

I have noticed in this thread a couple of pictures of CBs fitted to the existing 'lower' Defender dash.

Could someone please confirm that this is metal (under the trim) and is Ok to use self tapping screws?

I gather that the entire lower dash is the heater chamber and that the only thing inside is the control bar for the windscreen/feet control flaps. Again, can anyone confirm the approximate position of this bar (so I don't drill into it!) when fitting a CB.

Thanks,

Dave...

Welcome to LR4x4.com, hope you like it here

Yes Dave, it is a metal section covered with thin padding & vinly top cover, I have 2 ham radio's & my cb attached to it. so self tapping screws are fine, most of mine are no more than 25mm/1 inch long.

temporary fit the bracket to cb then position the cb so the front panel is just flush or slightly back from the vertical face, that will give you loads of room from the vent rod &

you can attach the cb's mounting anywhere along the lower face without any worry of drilling into the heater vent operating rod.

my dash here so you can see where my radio's are fitted

IMG_1045.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well its not fiinished yet but thought I'd add my pic to this thread. The pod is looking a little bare but it will soon have oil pressure gauge, night heater timer and a few more switches in it. The switch blanks in the two rows will soon be master on off for CB and Enviro Handwash unit.

post-883-1173537222_thumb.jpg

I would like to thank Kev at Mud for all his help before ordering and the way the whole lot was bagged up ready to go when I arrived at Donnigton, cheers Kev. I'll post another pic when fully finnished,

Matt

I saw the pod in the May LR mags 'new bits' pages, looks good & seems a doodle to fit,decent price too, shame it wasn't around when I did mine about 4 years ago, just been adding a 3 switch panel to the left of the steering wheel for front heated screen, mirror heaters & a twin air horn system.

I saw the pod in the May LR mags 'new bits' pages, looks good & seems a doodle to fit,decent price too, shame it wasn't around when I did mine about 4 years ago, just been adding a 3 switch panel to the left of the steering wheel for front heated screen, mirror heaters & a twin air horn system.

I could not belive how easy the pod was to fit and its great you can fit so nuch in it!

OK, I give in - I've been following this thread for a few months now, and justified to myself that I didn't want to fit the a console as this may block some of the ventilation (not a big problem for you Poms).

But now you have broken me - how do I get one of those mudpods in Australia?

ttfn

Matthew

OK, I give in - I've been following this thread for a few months now, and justified to myself that I didn't want to fit the a console as this may block some of the ventilation (not a big problem for you Poms).

But now you have broken me - how do I get one of those mudpods in Australia?

ttfn

Matthew

The Pod won't block any ventilation! The console will block a tiny amount. You need to email Kev at Mud mud@mudstuff.co.uk

Matt

Thanks for the kind words Matt. Glad you like it! Looking good fella. Shoot me some pics when you've got your set up fully installed and I'll add the pic to the one's of customer set-ups on the website.

Matthew. We can ship to Australia no probs. Send me an email for a quote to Kev@mudstuff.co.uk

Sent plenty already to switch-aholic Aussie Land Rover owners!

FYI. Due to the number of requests for switches, we're also stocking the Carling switches and mounts now too.

Kev

Thanks for the kind words Matt. Glad you like it! Looking good fella. Shoot me some pics when you've got your set up fully installed and I'll add the pic to the one's of customer set-ups on the website.

Matthew. We can ship to Australia no probs. Send me an email for a quote to Kev@mudstuff.co.uk

Sent plenty already to switch-aholic Aussie Land Rover owners!

FYI. Due to the number of requests for switches, we're also stocking the Carling switches and mounts now too.

Kev

Kev, I'll send you some pics once the pod is finished in a couple of weeks. I am really pleased with it.

You could go one better!!

Equicar's website has a 110 CSW shell (ie no chassis & running gear but with complete interior) for sale in their 'Offers' section that has the NEW 2007 Defender dash set-up in. The picture shows however, the older bonnet so I wonder if this was a development/pre-production vehicle from the factory that got broken up!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished my MUD console and POD:

P3240013Small.jpg

P3240014Small.jpg

The top pod houses volt meter for main batt, tacho & boost gauges. Centre console houses volt meter for Aux batt., vac. gauge for maxidrive lockers & pressure for onboard air tank.

P3240010Small.jpg

Cut away required for Aus spec A/C.

P3240015Small.jpg

EGT gauge now moved to the main dash, with new mechanical temp gauge. Fuel gauge moved to far right.

P3240012Small.jpg

Paul :)

Matt

I don't see any reason why the VDO EGT gauge wont fit in the pod, it's the same depth as the Boost gauge, but without the air line coming off the back.

Tony

You don't miss a trick mate. :lol: I'll wipe the centre line off next time I clean inside the car.

The low coolant alarm is something I put together myself, using a float switch I picked up from http://www.4x4gadgets.com.au/discovery.html

A mate put together a simple little circuit baord to give me a variable delay (currently set at around 4 seconds), before it triggers the light and a buzzer. I'll get Pete to do me a diagram of the circuit he created and post it up on here.

Paul

Nice work.

Any objection to me adding the pic to the installs we have listed on the website?

Kev

Thanks Kev, and thanks for the rapid delivery to Aus. The top pod got here in 5 working days - outstanding!!

Take any of the pics you want. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...