Still on the road?

g&t

Anyone know how to get figures from the DVLA as to how many RangeRover Classics there are still registered in the UK? Motoring mags. occasionally come up with these figures for specific models of old cars but I confess (not being especially PC literate) to finding the Gov. websites confusing :unsure:

I would suggest a Freedom of Information request. You need to be very specific though - I've seen a number requests for different organisations, and if you are not clear they can refuse your request. For info, it is likely that the DVLA will not know what a Range Rover Classic is - it will likely be listed as just a Range Rover, so you will also have to specify registered from and to dates. Also, to ensure you get "on the road" figures, you may want to ask for a total that does not include those shown as scrapped/destroyed/stolen etc.

You probably wouldn't be able to get that. I've tried to get hold of some statistics for a uni project - didn't have any luck via the DVLA but there's a chap called Dr Daryl Lloyd who works for the Department for Transport Vehicle Statistics department who was very useful.Main reason you can't get them through the DVLA is data protection and the fact they charge ~£60k for the information, however you may be able to get the DfT to simply count the number of RRC for you from their copy of the data.

You probably wouldn't be able to get that. I've tried to get hold of some statistics for a uni project - didn't have any luck via the DVLA but there's a chap called Dr Daryl Lloyd who works for the Department for Transport Vehicle Statistics department who was very useful.Main reason you can't get them through the DVLA is data protection and the fact they charge ~£60k for the information, however you may be able to get the DfT to simply count the number of RRC for you from their copy of the data.

Ah, the old data protection excuse. It still surprises me the number of organisations that hide behind data protection, even when you're not asking for any personal information.

I know that the chairman of the (Austin) 1100 club recently obtained info from DVLA about numbers of surviving variants together with details about how many were on the road or SORN.

I think that they have eased up on the rules a bit.

Thanks for the varied replies guys but, as I posted to Ryan, I get the overwhelming feeling that with me being (a) not totally PC literate & (b) devoid of unlimited patience it's not going to be worth the hassle. My query was only out of curiosity rather than a research project.

Going by that table, it looks like the past two or three years has seen half the Classics go to the scrappie...

Sadly, given the poor degree of protection when new, if buyers had invested in aftermarket anti corrosion treatment & kept it up over the years the cars would have lasted. Still (I know this is being selfish) at least those good ones left will find a market with discerning buyers.