Interesting Proposition

disco_al

I've had an interesting proposition put my way (sort of).......and no, it's not the Demi Moore/Woody Harrellson type :D

A friend of the lady who does our accounts at work has recently left the UK and moved to Gozo (Malta), now the husband has just come back this weekend, and wanted her husband to tow their boat down to the new house for them, but he's unwilling to do so with their D2.

Jokingly i said i'd do it, as long as they cover the expenses for fuel etc (worked it out to be about £1k in fuel for the return trip) so thought call it 2k to cover all expenses (hotels, tolls etc). Just spoke to SWMBO and she's up for it :D :D :D :D

soooo........week off work, and road trip of a lifetime (for me anyway) taking in France (downside), Switzerland, Italy etc....

whould you do it????

Hell yeah!

But on a serious note, make sure you have adequate insurance cover for the boat, the last thing you'd want is for it to get damaged or even worse, stolen and then have to foot the bill for repair/replacement. Could mean you don't get to visit them for free holidays ever again! :ph34r:

I wouldn't do it but am funny about this sort of thing, if you do it for £2k and it only costs you £1.8k then although you are only 'making' £200 you have changed the use of your car to being used for a commercial gain and would invalidate many insurance policies also depending on the weight of the boat you may need a tacho to stay strictly legal and then stick to driving hours rest stops etc, you should also technically clear customs as a commercial load and have all the paperwork sorted for the export.

If they just paid to cover your costs a a 'favour for a friend' type deal than I am not sure how that would flesh out, insurance companies are always looking for reasons not to pay out all you need is you landy stuck somewhere with the recovery/insurance not covering you as you have breached their terms.

Jason.

Why not just put the boat in a container or car transporter (or is a huge big thing??), its easier and probably cheaper to get it here, then just tow it from the port to gozo. Via car transporter its around 1200 euro. A full load 20 footer will cost a bit more as port charges here are a bit dear!

G

Why not just put the boat in a container or car transporter (or is a huge big thing??), its easier and probably cheaper to get it here, then just tow it from the port to gozo. Via car transporter its around 1200 euro. A full load 20 footer will cost a bit more as port charges here are a bit dear!

from what i can tell, they've worked it out to be cheaper for someone to do it, than to pay to get it shipped over.

Malta is in the EU so there would surely be no border/taxaton issues? Expenses amount to more than just fuel so I would think that as long as there is no intention to make a profit I cannot see an insurer having an issue. If in doubt, ask them! As suggested, make really sure that there is separate insurance in place against damage to the boat, you car insurance will not cover it. Good breakdown cover, which also covers problems with the trailer (NOT RAC then!) is also an essential. Try ADAC, the German AA - better cover and much cheaper.

You mention France as a downside? Much better roads than the UK, better standard of driving etc....

Good luck!

Need a co-driver??

Chris

from what i can tell, they've worked it out to be cheaper for someone to do it, than to pay to get it shipped over.

Ok fair enough, then go ahead and do it, when you get here enjoy the sun and drink some beer :P

Let me know if you need something here.

G

Sounds good to me! None of the legal / insurance issues are insurmountable - if there are any at all.

If my evil boss ;) Would give me the time off - I'd do it like a shot! I rather enjoy towing!

Si