Headlamps

M005

Someone has to be the first to ask a seemingly stupid question on this new board, so here goes.......

One of my headlights has failed, so I set about changing the bulb tonight. Got the unit out and it appears to be a sealed unit - so therefore I have to buy the whole unit rather than just the bulb????

If so, seems an expensive way of doing things

Have put it all back together for now, but the headlight is now rattling around, rather than being securely held, so something else to figure out as well :unsure:

Thanks

Land rover sealed beamed headlights are about £5 from the parts shop so cheaper than buying just a bulb from halfrauds.

It's good to have the sealed type as they keep the water out and therefor extend the life of the bulb

There are two screws securing the light bowl to the inner bowl and two adjuster screws

if the bowl is rattling around in bracket, then just make a rubber wedge for the bowl using any old bit of rubber. I cut up a rubber glove and folded the bit over itself a few times to get the necessary thickness.

After that, it was perfect.

Personally, I much prefer the halogen conversion units where you can swap the bulbs. They still withstand a fair amount of splashing but wont withstand a long submersion.

If your lights are not going to be submerged, the benefit of being able to fit the uprated bulbs is noticable and worth the cost. Proper bulbs like Philips Vision Plus and Osram Silver Stars are brighter and crisper.

Its coming into the winter and for the sake of £20, a top rate set of bulbs ( not PIAA though, just the Philips or Osrams ) are a good investment in being able to see the road well in the winter.

Well my vote is for sealed beams. They do come in higher wattages too.

Halogen is ok for a while but the reflectors soon start to deteriorate so even if wading doesn't kill them they still have a limited lifespan.

Cheers guys, I'll go shopping for a new unit then :D

I have a pair you can have for free - listed them in classifieds on that old forum but noone wanted them :angry: . Left over from my Halogen conversion.

From my experience the sealed ones are not as bright although I have to admit I was not aware of the higher wattage ones .... which unless someone corrects me, if more then 55/60W are not legal for road use.

Well my vote is for sealed beams. They do come in higher wattages too.

Do you have a part number for higher power sealed beam lights?

Someone told me some RR ones were higher - but all the stockists said they were the same wattage!

Last weekend made me tempted to go Halogen - driving to tony's at night through lots of pitch black little lanes. The lights on my SV are supurb - and they are halogen. I would like to keep the waterproofness though (even V8's get wet sometimes!).

Si

I think the ones that are brighter are down to materials used not the wattage I changed mine over on the old motor when I blew a bulb and although they were the same wattage one side was brighter than other so I had to by another one to match the other side

don't know if it is legal to have the same wattage of bulbs but different brightnesses (luminousity (sp)) did not wanna risk it

although RT act? and highway code state wattage not brightness?

Land rover sealed beamed headlights are about £5 from the parts shop so cheaper than buying just a bulb from halfrauds.

I don't suppose you'd have a name of a shop that can supply them for £5?! :)

I sell em for £6 if that's close enough for you.

Andy

www.landroverheaven.com