Radiator cowling

Does anyone out there have a 200Tdi (or possibly an older engine) running without the radiator cowling? I have a 200Tdi 90 and the cowling takes up so much space and makes it very difficult to work in the engine bay without removing it first, which is a pain in the arse.

I don't appear to have any overheating issues at the moment so would it be OK to remove it from mine? Or should I just live with it and leave it where it is? The reason why I ask is that I have just seen a 200Tdi on ebay with the cowling removed, and it suddenly dawned on me that I have been missing a trick somewhere.

Your opinions are welcomed.

Cheers

You could almost have another storage area in front of the engine! The engine being this far back must be a throwback to the older series Land Rovers, am I right?

This also brings me onto another question. Is the engine further forward on a 300Tdi Defender than on a 200Tdi (or TD, NA or earlier)? If so, does that mean that the 300Tdi Defender bell housing is the same as the Disco bell housing?

I have pondered this for a while and if I am right that would also explain why short R380 gearboxes are few and far between as they must have been in the transition period between the two engines.

Cheers for that information. I have been told that you can take an R380 straight out of a Disco and put this straight into a 300Tdi Defender, which would mean that the bell housing must be the same length, but until actually see someone who has done this I will treat it with a little suspicion.

But back to the original question, I was going to fit an electric fan at some point, so perhaps this would be a good time to do so. I know the engines seem to run quite cool and people remove the fans on them all the time, but I was unsure as to the cowling.

Gonna give it a go anyway.

Cheers

I'm fairly sure the shifter housing is in a different position on a Disco R380 compared to a Defender one, even if the bellhousing is the same length. Changing it required a gearbox disassmble/reassemble operation too I think :(

Yep shifter is located much further back on a Disco box, would end up somewhere in the cubby box on a Defender ....