Tidying the engine bay

Morning all.

Sorting out my fuel lines got me cleaning the engine bay and I've decided I'm tired of the leaky metal PAS reservoir and the air filter box which is peeling its coating off line a snake shedding its skin.

I've changed the seal on the PAS reservoir but it still leaks - probably because there is a slight dint in the very top edge of the reservoir. I think I'm right in saying I can swap it for a plastic type. Can someone just confirm this for me because there seems to be a significant difference in size/capacity.

Also, anybody got ideas for sorting out the air filter canister?

Strip and repaint?

Replace?

Are there ali versions available of both this and the PAS reservoir?

Cheers

IanB

Ali PAS resovoir with screw in filter, very fancy My link (at bottom of page) I think its the way forward but too pricey for me just now so i fitted an old resovir from a RRC, still steel but comes with its own internal filter.

The air box, i'd just get a wire brush onto it (attached to a grinder) clean it up then give it a lick of paint.

hijacking the thread.... does anyone know of a nice looking smallish airbox suitable for a 200TDI series, theres really not a lot of room in the bay, i could just about fit the disco box in but it wouldnt look tidy so im after a smaller one that would neatly fit in a pocket of space somewhere.

hijacking the thread.... does anyone know of a nice looking smallish airbox suitable for a 200TDI series, theres really not a lot of room in the bay, i could just about fit the disco box in but it wouldnt look tidy so im after a smaller one that would neatly fit in a pocket of space somewhere.

Try a 2.5 petrol(maybe diesel as well.... don't know) 90/110, as these air boxes are about 5 inches shorter than the Disco box, which wouldn't fit my Lightweight.... pics here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=69833&view=findpost&p=597456

:)

it wont fit there because of my header tank, this is the problem, theres not really a lot of space elsewhere either, maybe i could do something to the wing and maybe butcher in a defender inner wingy thing to add space? then it could fit in the defender space? i will take a picture of my bay and see what you suggest.

as for the origional post to keep on topic. im sure that a smaller plastic PAS reservoir will be fine, after all its the same system as per 200 defenders or discos.

And there was me thinking I'd hit a rich vein of knowledge :lol:

Mikey, I'll measure the airbox on my 2.5td in the morning if you think it would be any use. (the measurements that is, not that I'm offering you the airbox) :D

Thanks for the info Maverik, I like that idea and will certainly put it on the list.

Ian, I'm afraid I can't answer your question but Mikey, have you thought of replacing the washer bottle with the later underwing tank and then mounting the proper full sized filter on the inner wing in it's place ?

HTH

Mo

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to decide where to put my air filter housing with my 300 conversion, the 2.5td air filter is quite a bit shorter and looks ideal but the inlet/outlet pipes are also of smaller diameter, whether this would hamper performance I do not know. Failing that you could always use one of those k&n cone filters.

Harry

The metal PAS tank is the best one because it has an intergral filter-the plastic ZF style has no filter-any carp that gets in ends up whizzing round the pump and box forever.

Regarding airboxes-Donaldson supplied the MOD with 'Iraq proof' airboxes. These fit straight onto a 300tdi in the same place as the original air box if you use the proper Donaldson mounting clamp.

You can also use these on a TD-I have one on a NA and they flow loads more air than the standard setup-Im running a ported head so it really made a difference.

It can also be used for a 200tdi allthough you have to route the vapour return line from the rocker cover into a seperate catch tank as the Donaldosn has no hose inlet.

Pics of the ones I were selling are here to give you a bit more info-no longer for sale-decided to keep hold of them but Im sure there are some on Ebay.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=64673&st=0&p=558335&fromsearch=1entry558335