200tdi PAS pump £££

hi there my power steering pump seized up today on my 1992 200tdi defender so i serched for a new one(ntc9070) on various sites and they were all around the £130 mark whiched seemed abit expensive to me, so i was wondering if anyone had fitted a discovery 200tdi PAS pump as i can get one of them cheap off fleabay. I know the pipe conections are different but the way they mount look the same so is there a way of adapting the pipes to make them fit?

cheers

p.s. if anyone has a defender PAS pump i can purchase please let me know.

Very few cheap alternatives for this fix I'm afraid, i looked into it when mine went, ended up buying a OEM replacement, which I might add came in a Britpart box I question LRseries about it any they told me it was OEM, its been installed 10 months and it appears to be leeking around the black houseing body... not had a chance to take a better look at it just now.

Mav

I had leakages on my td5 99 mod and tried changing seals around but upon second try, the leakage was inceasant. Had to dig up a 130 quid or so... Mate break the piggy and get it done once and for all. IT is a dirty job I would not like repeating.dry.gif

The black body is sealed with an O ring Mav, a new one or some rtv will solve the leak.

Mo

Hey Mo, yeah i was just looking in the archive and there's a chap that has re-built one, he replaced the o ring using a spliced Nitrile O ring kit. As its still under the 12 month warranty I'll speak to LRSeries see what they say, if its coming off for repair I might as well send it back for a replacement if they'll take it.

Thanks mo that looks do-able just a couple of questions:

Does it work ok? any leaks etc? (im not questioning you mechanical ability by the way)

Did you de-asemble the pump at all to do this?

does the other pipe fit straight on?

did you make any other mods? as it looks like theres a plate inbetween the pump and the bracket

thanks again

It works well :) All you need to do is remove the high pressure fitting which bolts through the black casing and knock the black casing off (this is the bit you modify). The new pipe is 15mm copper elbow and some pipe soldered to the casing. I used a straight Yorkshire connector on the end of the pipe where the hose pushes over as the swage on it stops the jubilee clip pulling off.

I carefully drilled the hole gradually enlarging it with a cone cutter until I could just push the end of the copper elbow through (it was really tight and was a real bugger to get in but that's good :) ) then sealed it with solder. In retrospect this could have done with being rotated a little more toward the hole that the high pressure fitting fits through as it's a little too close to the chassis leg.

Ignore the plate, that didn't work ;)

The last thing you need to do is to draw the pulley hub to the end of the shaft with a 3 legged puller as it's set further onto the shaft on a discovery.

That's about it. I had a disco pump and needed a defender item so I had nothing to lose in trying. Turns out I saved myself £150 :) Result ! 3500 miles later, it's still working fine :i-m_so_happy:

HTH

Mo

It works well :) All you need to do is remove the high pressure fitting which bolts through the black casing and knock the black casing off (this is the bit you modify). The new pipe is 15mm copper elbow and some pipe soldered to the casing. I used a straight Yorkshire connector on the end of the pipe where the hose pushes over as the swage on it stops the jubilee clip pulling off.

I carefully drilled the hole gradually enlarging it with a cone cutter until I could just push the end of the copper elbow through (it was really tight and was a real bugger to get in but that's good :) ) then sealed it with solder. In retrospect this could have done with being rotated a little more toward the hole that the high pressure fitting fits through as it's a little too close to the chassis leg.

Ignore the plate, that didn't work ;)

The last thing you need to do is to draw the pulley hub to the end of the shaft with a 3 legged puller as it's set further onto the shaft on a discovery.

That's about it. I had a disco pump and needed a defender item so I had nothing to lose in trying. Turns out I saved myself £150 :) Result ! 3500 miles later, it's still working fine :i-m_so_happy:

HTH

Mo

Some are simply lucky........I went thru this ... just useless!! Had to buy a new onewink.gif

cheers mo, im getting a disco pump off a friend for free so im definately giveing this a go.

Just one more thing, it looks like you used a disco PAS pipe for the high pressure connection, do you know if i can just bolt my banjo connector onto it or do i have to get a disco pipe?

thanks

ethan